what's in your sharpening/shave kit

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by sparky702, Sep 16, 2018.

1. sparky702

sparky702 Member

so honestly i just wanted to throw this out there cuz I'm pretty damn impressed with myself at the moment. so in the interest of safety i would never recommend or ask anyone to attempt or participate in most of the stupid crap that i do most of the time so that being said...I'm just starting to get to get to some kind of proficient level with free hand sharpening. my equipment isn't even basic it's mostly home made. I am very hard on all of my tools because i work with my hands so i actually use them every day. my six has been beat to hell and back i don't even know how many times but i think i got a pretty good edge on it this time.i have a crappy hand sharpener if the bevel needs worked on. a cheap bps special arkansas stone. i made a 2k wet stone on a box with a piece of foam on a box. some white and some green from ace hardware i use on my leather belt. somehow with this ridiculous concoction of tools i was able to get a shaving edge on the blade.i don't mean like pops the hair of your arm i mean i ACTUALLY SHAVED WITH AN ESEE 6!!! i know it's not bbs i wasn't even attempting that i just wanted to see if my edge would do it at all. because shaving with an 11.75" 12oz. SUX IT IS NOT FUN AND IT SURE AS HELL AIN'T AS COOL AS THE MOVIES MAKE IT OUT TO BE!!! back to safety DON'T TRY IT IT'S STUPID AND IT'S NOT SAFE I'M JUST A DUMB ASS AND I ALSO NORMALLY SHAVE WITH A MUHLE R41 AND FEATHER BLADES. DON'T DO THAT EITHER!!! IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING IT'S MORE DANGEROUS THAN AN ESEE KNIFE YOU WILL HURT YOURSELF THAT IS A FACT!!!! OK this is getting long because of all the safety stuff.but my point is i haven't shaved for like 3days i didn't do any kind of pre shave and i didn't even build a proper lather also my hair is super coarse i must be part warewolf but the ESSE did it!!! i just thought I'd throw this up cuz i know everyone's thought about it I'm just dumb enough to do it IF YOU'RE GONNA BE DUMB YA GOTTA BE TOUGH. 20180916_160102.jpg 20180916_162408.jpg 20180916_165902_Film5.jpg

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I use a Gillette Super Speed with Derby blades. :)

I can get my knives that sharp, but usually don't bother with that polished of an edge because a lot of my work is more slicing-based rather than push-cutting. When producing an edge that fine I like finishing on a sintered ceramic.

3. sparky702

sparky702 Member

i usually like a toothy edge it wss just one of those ah what the hell I'll bored things...
    i like astras too for their damn smooth but i run the beast since i only shave once or twice a week. but man you should give it a shot most are scared of it but if you have enough experience and shave regularly bbs ONE PASS no joke it's crazy. with 3 passes it shaves so close you only have to shave every other day

4. FortyTwoBlades

I've got several Dovo straight razors that I'll occasionally bust out when I have time, but as-is I follow the old 18th century standard of "three days stubble is clean-shaven". :D

5. sparky702

sparky702 Member

hellyeah hahaha i just keep a beard so no-one ever says anything about the undergrowth my schedule is basically whenever i feel like it buy a50 pack for like $12 and I'm good for like a year...i do really wanna get a straight razor though

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  6. FortyTwoBlades

Yeah I basically just keep a neckbeard from forming and trim up the lines of the actual beard. :p

Kevo likes this.
  7. Kevo

Kevo Member

Brother, classic gillette's and straight razors are my jam.
    20180917_183541.jpg 20180917_183634.jpg

8. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

@Kevo in your safety razors, top row second in from the left (EDIT: top row INSIDE the main part of the box). That looks like a Gillette Aristocrat, which I have used regularly for the last 3 or 4 years now. Fantastic razor collection you have there, I'll try to get a photo of mine tomorrow as well. I know I have one of the Khaki Sets, which were issued to U.S. Army during the first World War.

Kevo likes this.
  9. Kevo

Kevo Member

Very good eye sir! I had a khaki set for quite a while before selling on a different forum. Used the funds to get myself a cerakoted gillette new.

10. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

When I shave I have to use hedge clippers
    97EC352B-B52A-4158-9289-584C816BF0F4.jpeg

Kevo likes this.
  11. sparky702

sparky702 Member

Kevo likes this.
  12. Kevo

Kevo Member

Thank you much!

13. olderguy

olderguy Member

I just returned to old school shaving recently due to the absurd cost of razor cartridges. I'm old enough to have a multitude of shavers but I don't haha

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  14. Hammer

Hammer Member

I've been using this Merkur 34 safety razor for the past 6 years. Love it. The blades last a lot longer than modern multi-head blades, and I also love not dealing with disposable plastic heads anymore.

Porter's Badger Hair Brush, Porter's shaving soap and after shave.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  15. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

I've been using a Merkur (34 I think) for several years. I like the Astra blades, but haven't really tried many others. The Astra gives me a great shave and you can't beat the price. I have few vintage straight razors (from whipped dog) but they need sharpened. It's a skill that has so far eluded me. I can sharpen them up to shave arm or leg hair with ease, but it's not smooth enough for my face without causing irritation. I have one of the Feather artist straight razors that I'll use at least a couple times a week depending on how much time I have.

I have an Edwin Jagger badger brush. Nice but nothing fancy. I use a variety of shave soaps.

16. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

My daily shaver—Timeless SS with Silver Blue or Feather.
    7F5FF772-98ED-4528-BE43-747A958F2F40.jpeg
    3D348D32-5A7A-4A3E-9C13-D8F22EE78D3B.jpeg

My near perfect Duck.
    51FCD2EF-9F5B-4C3E-890B-3FD90FD8BA3D.jpeg

My grandfather’s 1912 American Button Company/ Seashell design Gillete. I’ve been tempted to try it, but always put it away and let it age. I’ve never cleaned it, its been well cared for. I think he may have only used it a few times as most of the original blades are still in the blade bank.
    ACA38E4B-942B-4A1F-A99F-F74A27379986.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  17. Kevo

Kevo Member

Beautiful razors! Sharp dressed man is such a classic scent too.

18. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

Kevo likes this.
  19. olywa

olywa Member

Haven't shaved for a couple years now. I see a lady barber for a beard trim about every 3 months. She's got serious skills and does a way better job than I ever could.

I could care less about my hair cuts. I prescribe to the old maxim: The difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is about 2 weeks.

The Marsh Gorilla and Kevo like this.