7mm-08? Go!

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by on edge, Aug 3, 2018.

1. on edge

on edge Member

I've got a buddy that offered to sell me his Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. I have no experience with this round and just want to hear from people that have actually used it. Everything I've researched thus far has been pretty positive.

This will be a general purpose rifle so, groundhogs, coyote, deer and back 40 shooting matches with the guys. so good or bad lets hear it.

The Marsh Gorilla and koolaidnd like this.
  2. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

It’s a very good round. Lots of guys use it around here for deer hunting.

Buy it if the price is good.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. on edge

on edge Member

It's a very fair price. I already have a friend trying to buy it from me and I haven't even taken possession of it yet!

4. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

It’s basicly a .308 with slightly less recoil and a little more speed IIRC.

5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Yep, if I were shopping today it would be for a .260Rem but that is neck and neck with the 7/08 in many ways. It really is a round that you will need to handload for.

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  6. on edge

on edge Member

I understand that all firearms can show a preference for ammo but, is there a "GOLD STANDARD" factory load for the round. Something like the Federal 168 gr. BTHP was/is for the .308?

7. Andy the Aussie

Not that I have ever heard of, 7.62, 5.56 the various new 6.5s and such get more attention and development from the ammunition makers due to their use by the Military and LE which generates more use (ie sales) by interested shooters. The 7/08 has never been such a round and the ammunition development has been limited to hunting rounds essentially. Even so Fed GMM actually patterns (as opposed to "Groups" ) in one of my rifles so as you note, there are just no givens.

8. on edge

on edge Member

So ammo is obviously not as available. While at Wal-mart today they had only one type of 7mm-08 and it was more expensive than 7mm Rem. Mag!!! I know this isn't the best place to find ammo but in comparison, they had 7 or 8 flavors of 308.

9. Andy the Aussie

Yep, it is not the most common round and does not get the attention from ammunition manufacturers. To see the most out of it you would want to hand load. That said a Remington Model 7 is a lightweight hunting rifle designed for carrying lots.

The Marsh Gorilla and on edge like this.
  10. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

That is a good all around round that will serve you well in whatever you want to do outside of the niche specialties (like long range precision, or bear hunting, or Africa).

It’s a pretty popular round around here so the ammo is pretty available. Guess it depends where you are.

It’s not like an AR where you need thousands of rounds anyway. A few hundred rounds will last a couple of years probably with that rifle. So find a round it likes and then order a case of that ammo online cheap and you’ll be set for life. Plus you’ll have all of that good brass to reload with. (Or sell).

11. Stewart

Stewart Member

I shoot a kimber montana in .308 barrel cut to 18 inches with a can.

My best mate shoots a forbes in 7mm08 barrel cut to 18inches with the same can.

Both rifles share the same weight, same length of pull, Melvin forbes helped develop the stock for kimber. Both wear leupold 3-9×40 scopes. Both have identical harris bipods.

The 7mm08 shooting 140gr factory ammo and the 308 shooting 150gr ammo have the same recoil, the same effect on game out to 300m and if you shot either in the dark you couldnt tell the difference.

Honestly if you like the rifle the 7mm08 will kill any deer shaped animal as good as any 308 family cartridge. Great all round calibre well proven for a long time.

12. ny700

ny700 Member

7/08 is a great round. It is a necked down 308 for 7mm and there are some great 7mm projectiles with amazing ballistic coefficients. It flys flatter longer than a 308 and deflects the wind better. If your shooting inside say 300 yards it’s basically a wash from a 308 with slightly less recoil but the same blast with a far less selection of factory ammo.

If you are a reloaded then you will be able to take advantage of all the great projectiles and you can just neck down 308 brass which is cheap and readily available.

The biggest issue with the 7/08 is quality bullets that make the 7mm more desirable than the 30cal are long. Much longer then the average 30caliber bullet. Since nearly all 7/08 rifles are built on short actions you run into a case length issue to maximize its advantages. Again if your a hand loader and your working with like a tikka that uses a long action for all of their rifles you would be able to get a fairly significant advantage.

The added performance will come with shorter barrel life. Probably in the 4,500 a 5,000 round range. Now for a hunter that’s multiple life times. You mention groundhogs and back 40 “matches”. Obviously that can be a lot of rounds and quickly. It’s the heat and overbite that killsbthe throats of barrels.

For me a range trip is 100-200 rounds so that comes in to play. For you it may be a moot point.

Obviously this comes up because a guy offered you a good deal. That alone may make it worth it again it is an excellent round and although you may not be able to take advantage of all the benefits over a 308 the value of the deal vs cost of ammonmay still be worth it.

If you are looking for a rifle I would look around for an older .270win. I say this because it is an excellent cartridge that has completely fallen out of the lime light. It’s a 30/06 necked down to 6.8mm. The ballistics are fantastic but it never caught on as a target round and therefore it never got the full support of cheaper target ammo. Plinking ammo can be had for cheap. The soft point cheap hunting ammo is good and will take down all medium size game and the premium hunting ammo will take down everything short of dangerous game Because it’s old school and based on the long action cartridges they are going cheap cause they are “out of style”. A brand new tikka t3 in 270win can be had for $435 from Europeoptics and it’s worth every penny

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  13. erik

erik Member

that or the 7mm mag is what my BIL uses for hunting up in Wisconsin, depending on size of game and distance.
    whitetail, pronghorn, black bear, coyote.....

on edge and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  14. CWB

CWB Member

good all around caliber. get it, don't get caught up in the magnum bs because of longer barrels, weight and recoil. 7mm-08 come in short "hunting" actions and barrels

15. Stewart

Stewart Member

You getting a bit old and fragile for the 308 son?

16. Andy the Aussie

..... yes I am just a frail old man....though I do still like to hunt bunnies with my .375H&H.... ;)

17. Stewart

Stewart Member

:D
    Haha!, once my house is done you may have to drag those wee arms and that 308 over here for some hunting in Fiordland, I got 10 acres on the border. I reckon I can turn you back to thinking the 308 is the calibre blessed by Jesus:D;):)

18. on edge

on edge Member

Thanks for all the input guys. This is going to be a sub $400 gun with a scope. Scope isn't expensive (old Simmons ATV) that's been on the rifle forever and has been reliable for them. It's harvested a couple truckloads of WV deer. I will be getting it the first part of next week to take home and "check it out". I let y'all know soon.

19. Andy the Aussie

.....and you would have no trouble doing that !!! It is still my favourite go to round, but I may have to still come over and have that reaffirmed !!! ;) I just need a sandfly proof bag to walk around in !

20. ny700

ny700 Member

At that price it’s a no brainer go for it