Subsonic 22LR Ammo

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Adventurer, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Anyone use subsonic 22LR ammo? I've been thinking about buying a few boxes and was just wondering what everyone thinks of it? Is there really a noticeable difference in sound? Would it be significantly less noticeable for the neighbors? With the lower velocity would it still have enough force to kill a muskrat, rabbit, etc? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on it is...

Kaw-liga likes this.
  2. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

It is quieter than normal .22LR ammo. Subsonic will work just fine utilizing head shots on vermin. Probably the best I ever heard of was .22 Short thru a bolt gun with a suppressor on it. That was really quiet.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Kaw-liga and IW17 like this.
  3. IW17

IW17 Member

I use subsonic for groundhogs and other pests. I live +/-30' from my neighbors and no one is any the wiser. They sound like a pop more than a gunshot. They won't cycle my marlin 60 though, if that matters to you.

Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  4. olywa

olywa Member

I use sub-sonic in two bolt-action rifles. One is a Ruger American with a threaded barrel and a can. This is pretty darn quiet, even less noise than my Beeman pellet rifle. The other rifle is a CZ Trainer with a 28.5" barrel. This one is almost as quiet, even with no can. I keep my shots under 50 yards and use head shots on small game and vermin. Also works well on trash birds. I wouldn't use them for anything larger though.

I'm actually looking at picking up a .25 caliber pellet rifle for this kind of shooting. I think it can be just as effective, and cheaper to shoot.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  5. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I have some RWS sub-sonic and CCI sub-sonic. The CCI is quieter than normal through a can but not a ton quieter. The RWS in a bolt gun is crazy quiet. In a 10/22 the bolt action sound is still enough to not make the whole thing super secret squirrel quiet regardless of the ammo used.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  6. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Subsonic and a can is a lot of fun!! Just being able to shoot without hearing protection is a great feeling. I have a new to me Ruger mk III that I added a threaded Tactical Solutions aluminum Barrel to, it is now in Cerakote and as soon as I get it back I will put it back together with a Volquartson accuracy pack and a subsonic spring kit so it will cycle properly

Kaw-liga likes this.
  7. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

My neighbors definitely heard mine. A buddy gave me a couple boxes a few years ago, some CCI and Remington. I ran both through a pair of Savages. It wouldn't cycle in the model 64 (autoloader), the other was a 93 (bolt action). It was quieter compared to CCI Mini Mags but after popping a couple off in the woodline behind our place, back porch lights started coming on. @olywa mentioned a .25 pellet rifle. I knew a guy who had one. It was an accurate little critter getter. Not entirely silent though, either.

IW17 likes this.
  8. adamgnewman

adamgnewman Member

CCI Quiet is perfect out of my rifle. No ear-pro needed. In the pistol it pops though, so I go for Aguilla Colibri there.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  9. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I've heard that Aguila Colibri is awesome stuff, especially out of a revolver where cycling isn't an issue. It's a very unique load for sure.

Zeek likes this.
  10. Zeek

Zeek Member

20180701_183252.jpg

Strigidae and Kaw-liga like this.
  11. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

12. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yep... it's odd stuff. I just had to buy it. They're using a shorter case to not exceed the overall cartridge length of standard 22lr ammo. There's a good chance my rifles with 1:16 twist rate won't stabilize it. Hope to find out next weekend.

Kaw-liga and Strigidae like this.
  13. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

Please get back with how it does if you get a chance.

Zeek likes this.
  14. Zeek

Zeek Member

Sure thing brother... just got one of the new Leupold VX-FREEDOM Rimfire scopes for my CZ455 varmint so planning to give it a workout this weekend.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  15. Zeek

Zeek Member

Preliminary results... only shot 5 of each. The 60gr rounds would not fully eject for some reason. I need to do more testing to figure out what's going on with them. The target stickers are 2" diameter.
    2018-07-05 13.46.02.jpg 2018-07-05 13.46.39.jpg
    20180705_124255.jpg 20180705_124508.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  16. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thats an accurate rifle! Shooter is as well!

17. Acrown

Acrown Member

Be careful with that stuff in a 1:16 twist barrel if you are using a suppressor. We have seen it destabilize upon uncorking form the barrel and cause pretty significant damage to baffles. It will stabilize very well in a 1:9 twist but those barrels are pretty specialized.

Kaw-liga, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  18. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

Thanks for putting those up. Any one of those rounds you you like better overall? What do you think about that Leupold? I didn't want to tie you up with a long conversation but was eager to hear what you thought about it. I recently bought a cheap 10/22 receiver from a buddy, put a barrel and an old junk stock on it (I'd like to find a factory wood stock). Last thing I'd like to do is put a nice little piece of glass on it. I had just been looking at those scopes when you mentioned yours.

Zeek likes this.
  19. Zeek

Zeek Member

There's a good variety of ammo in that pic... higher velocity HPs for hunting and a few subsonic loads, so most seem O.K. and have a purpose. The only real standout is the CCI Target Shorts. They were all over the place. Possibly the extra distance before the bullet reaches the rifling in the long rifle chamber is the problem?

The Leupold VX-FREEDOM Rimfire scope seems O.K. so far, especially for the price point. I only paid $175 for it. I like the recticle with MOA hash-marks for quick elevation hold over. The glass seems clear and bright but I haven't tried it in low light yet.

On the negative side, it's a fixed objective, focused at 60 or 75yds I think. I know some guys want something that will focus down to 30yds or so for their rimfires, but that will cost you twice as much or more. Also, I didn't check the tracking with a box test or anything, but the clicks didn't seem to be exactly 1/4 MOA when I was sighting it in. That's likely one of the compromises with a scope this cheap. But not a factor for my purpose, as once sighted in I expect to just use the reticle for hold over.

Kaw-liga likes this.