Stoves: wood, alcohol, butane, esbit, gasoline... let 'm burn

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by KnOeFz, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Member

image.jpg

KnOeFz likes this.
  2. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

3. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Member

It's a PHW

4. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

Not familiar with that one. I know the PH stood for Pro Hunter, then 1 & 2 for the two different sizes. What's the W stand for? Thanks.

Bobsdock likes this.
  5. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Member

Pro hunter wood
    It has desert ironwood scales

6. Kevo

Kevo Member

Do you guys have any recommendations for a halfway decent/inexpensive starter stove? My stove and mess kit game is quite weak.

7. Hammer

Hammer Member

If you want a really simple canister stove with an emphasis on lightweight, I would highly recommend the MSR Pocket Rocket 2. If you hunt around, you can find them for around $40-$45.

If weight isn't as much of an issue, take a look at one of the lesser expensive Jetboil options. They're not the cheapest stoves, but they work well, are durable and tend to be more efficient with fuel than 'open' designs like the Pocket Rocket and other similar options.

Zeek, Strigidae and Bushman5 like this.
  8. Kevo

Kevo Member

Thanks for the recommendation! Any favorites for a small mess kit?

9. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

What kind of stove are you looking for? (Fuel type) and what food/cooking would you be using it for?

10. Kevo

Kevo Member

I'm not too picky on the stove type. I'd like relatively portable, but that's subjective I guess.

Price is probably the biggest overall consideration. I'm trying to build a bit of a kit for overnighters.

11. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Would you rather use those isobutane/propane canisters or burn found fuel like sticks and pine cones?

12. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

You don't specify where you live and play but many areas have burn bans nearly every year, that would preclude almost all the twig burners we love :(. I use and recommend the Giga Power. Mine is the Ti version without the piezo ignigtion. Well over 10 years of service with no issues whatsoever.

13. Kevo

Kevo Member

I could go either way. Those wood biting ones do have a certain draw to them though. My only experience with small camp stoves is the old esbit that I used to use as a kid.

14. Kevo

Kevo Member

Ah yeah that would probably help haha. I'm in northeastern illinois, Chicago suburbs. There's a good amount of camping sites, but they are mostly all car camping/designated types of deals. Most of the forest preserves around me have designated fire pits and are no fire outside of those sites.

15. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

So here is my cook cook based on my needs....mainly my outings consist of dayhikes with the kids...most of what we cook can be done with boiling water...if we go on bigger hikes or overnights I'll bring other items like my Pathfinder Bushpot (love it).
    I just priced it all on Amazon to give you an idea of cost...but first the pics...
    20180718_175928.jpg 20180718_180251.jpg 20180718_180345.jpg

Maxpedition 10x4 bottle pouch in Foliage green-Amazon has a Condor bottle pouch in OD or black for $17

Emberlit Stove-original titanium version - Amazon has the stainless for $42 (they also have other knock offs for half of that but I really like Emberlits owner Mikhail. Hes a really good guy and I try to support him whenever I can. I like this stove because it burns solid fuel but also acts as a pot holder and wind block for the trangia stove..

Stanley cook cup- 24oz- I riveted on some clips for a bail... lid also fits gsi cup- $10

GSI Glacier Cup - $12

Nalgene 32oz backpacker- this tapered model is necessary because it nests perfectly with the GSI and Stanley cups- $24

Trangia Spirit Burner - $15

Other items in kit- spork,bail,denatured alcohol,handle for stanley and fish mouth spreader for hanging nalgene bottle over fire...

Total is just under 120 bucks but that's not bad for a (mostly) complete solo cook kit. You could shave a few bucks off by getting the knockoff stove and making you're own alcohol stove...that's what I did and slowly added what I could afford to add
    All this fits in the bottle pouch except the emberlit. I keep that in my Hidden Woodsman Haversack but you could attach some sort of pouch to hold that and other stuff and have it all together..hope this helps

Roadgunner007, JMick and KnOeFz like this.
  16. Kevo

Kevo Member

@OutdoorsFamilyMan this helps a ton! I'm going to have a close look at these options. I really like the mess setup.

OutdoorsFamilyMan likes this.
  17. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

I have 70$ or so invested in my mess kit, you could get cheaper versions now but there weren't many when I got mine. This is SnowPeak, the smaller pot has a flat lid and the larger pot has a tiny fry pan/lid. The cup is an 12 oz MSR and there is a 10 oz with measurement markings that came with the set but I don't remember why it's not here. The Ti Emberlit was a gift from a good freind here on the forum. I saw a Ti clone of it just the other day but I too support Emberlit and recommend them as the original and the best. I have other sets but this is what I use the most.

JMick, KnOeFz, STPNWLF and 2 others like this.
  18. Kevo

Kevo Member

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Kevo and OutdoorsFamilyMan like this.
  20. Hammer

Hammer Member

I don't really have, or buy, "kits" per se. I just have a random assemblage of things that I've picked up individually. But for most trips this is what I carry:

Vargo 'BOT' - serves as a cook pot and a water carrier, stove (PR2) and canister fit inside it.
    TOAKS 450ml mug - this usually doubles as my mug and bowl
    Snowpeak spork

Kevo likes this.