Mowers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by indulf, May 29, 2018.

1. indulf

indulf Member

I need a big / fast mower. In NC we were able to pay a guy 50 bucks to mow our 3+ acres. It was awesome, and it prevented me from having to buy an expensive mower.

In Northern VA that price triples for less grass (!!!) so I need to get something. I know next to nothing about mowers other than the fact that they're expensive as hell.

I'll be looking for a used unit. Walk behind with a velke is fine as is a ride-on zero turn.

Any suggestions on brand / what to look for when inspecting a used unit?

2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Around here, I have the philosophy of go big or go home. Of course, my dad and I mow about 10 acres of grass every other week.

indulf and ManOfSteel like this.
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I bought a toro zero turn at Home Depot cut mowing 2 acres around the house down to 45 min to an hour. It’s nice

4. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Scag. I have the Tiger Cat. Ive owned several commercial mowers, and nothing compares with a Scag. There are other mowers built almost as good, but service part pricing will kill you! In the world of mowers, you get nothing for a nickel, and twice as much for a dime. If you want the best, Scag is it. If you want the next best, Hustler. Whatever brand you pick, look for grease fittings and a welded deck. Kawasaki engines are also hard to beat.

5. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

We mow about 5 acres every week.

Our Scag with Velke is indestructible, easy maintenance, and fast.

Wisdom and indulf like this.
  6. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

I have an Exmark. Love it. Great for chopping off baby rabbit heads and chewing up field birds.

timdgsr likes this.
  7. olderguy

olderguy Member

Just started a part time job mowing about 4 acres each week. Widow lady has a Deere ride around,seems more than sufficient !!

8. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Our maintenance guys have a John Deere 3320 and they seem to like it. It’s probably overkill for the lot we have at work but they use it for snow removal where the contractors can’t get to.

9. indulf

indulf Member

found an old Scag walk behind with a velke for cheap tonight on Craigslist. Turns out the guy was right down the street. Went over, checked it out, rode it around, talked him down a couple hundo, and loaded it on the trailer. Needs a little TLC but the important stuff is 100%. Got a screaming deal so I jumped on it!

10. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    I have owned a few commercial mowers through the years as extra income makers.
    Had a commercial cub cadet with a Cat diesel, toro/exmark midmount with a kawasaki, couple of Toro walk behinds with velkes and Kohlers, BUT my favorite mowers have to be Scag. Had a 36” walk behind hydro with a Kawasaki. It was a cutting beast! I have had a Scag midmount for the last ten years. Have only changed the oil, filters, and blades.
    Scag makes a great mower.

indulf likes this.
  11. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Every piece on those is an easy fix. I use https://www.jackssmallengines.com/m...wTSPNJMw5SKE0yJ8-2AyFYnF3B3-YPvBoCBqcQAvD_BwE

for mowers and such.