Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Yep! I got real sick of dumping bag after bag of the real stuff on the flower beds. We are responsible for maintaining the mulch but after the Hurricane smacked us last year all the real mulch was washed away by the heavy rain..... SO we waited until the mulch went on clearance and snagged us 50 bags for only $50 dollars worth of rubber mulch and LOVE IT!

I grew up on a farm raising animals and many different types of crops so it’s in my blood. So now that I’m stuck in the city I love trying to do little projects like this with the kiddos. I may not have a whole lot of room but a kitchen window seal then my sidewalk width concrete front porch is more then capable of Nature and Garden fun :)

Strigidae and STPNWLF like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

paging @Stone

you ever build or use single wheel hiking trailers? the "pulk" harness style single wheel hiking trailers?

I have one hell of an idea for a modern version, with a solar charged li-ion battery powerhub assist for the hills. (trailer would be pulled normally but for tough sections could be flipped around into wheelbarrow mode, to be PULLED up steep terrain trails by the power hub.

I also came up with a design that is basically a honda small engine powered wheel pack "mule" wheelbarrow style cargo hauler. 500+ lb capacity, could have military small cargo applications.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Stone and RocketmanDane like this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

Not me. But I'm interested. Please keep me in the loop as you develop the idea.

What I want more immediately is a single-wheel travois for backpacking.

Like this, but with far less on it.

[​IMG]

Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

only thing i dislike with the travois design, is you lifting and carrying that weight all the time.....

if all the weight was over the axle, you would only notice a very small amount of it.

I found tons of designs out there. Some even powered.

Stone likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

6. Stone

Stone Member

^ Wow. You going to apply?

7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Stone likes this.
  8. Stone

Stone Member

At your service, sir.

[​IMG]

Zeek likes this.
  9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

On a random note! I never HATED paying with change... Most of my life I have been around no sales tax.. If the sign said something was $1.25 you could pay with a dollar bill and a quarter! BUT NO!! I have to move to a state with SALES TAX!!!! FML! Now that $1.25 item is plus 8% or what ever the tax is... So you gotta figure what ever the original price plus tax is and you never seem to have that exact amount and heaven forbid it’s something like a Big Mac that then has some crazy local fast food tax you don’t know about!!!! So that original price is now just a lie!!! Now you gotta Carry around all this extra change and have it ready as soon as you get the ACTUAL total!!!
    SO in return I REFUSE to carry around change to pay for anything! I always keep a extra couple of $1 bills in my wallet just to cover the unadvertised price gouging!!
    So why does the fact I hate paying with change matter?? I’ll tell you why! If I only pay with bills I tend to always get change in return.. SO what do I do with said change?? Well I start by tossing it in my car door. If it doesn’t make it into the door it goes into a small bucket in the house....
    Well let my HATRED of paying with change build up over a couple of months and you would be surprised how much change you end up with! I have had times where rolling quarters I had 2-3 hundred dollars in quarters! Yes that is a lot of change! Just this week I rolled up almost $65 dollars in change..
    So what does that mean?? It means I finally had almost enough to purchase A CR2.5! Well I figure I could spare the extra couple of dollars and now have a Orange CR2.5 on the way!!
    See my anti change hatred pays off again :)

koolaidnd, Zeek and Stone like this.
  10. Stone

Stone Member

Pics when it arrives, or it didn't happen. ;)

Drew RedBear, Zeek and RocketmanDane like this.
  11. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Will do! I am def hoping to give it some good outdoor projects this summer. But I have a pretty good feeling that it will be used on almost a daily basis atleast in my kitchen. (One of the reasons I didn’t go for the clearance micarta handled 2.5’s that I spotted.

Stone likes this.
  12. Stone

Stone Member

Just so we all know what a CR 2.5 is ..

. just imagine this in orange.

:confused: :eek: :cool:

I want one, too.

Seems a nice companion for
    Izula, RB3 & Zancudo.

Zeek likes this.
  13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

They have a black oxide finish with orange scales I thought.

Zeek and RocketmanDane like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

i do this too...anything under $5 at the end of the day, boom, into the coffee can. Its saved my arse a few times in the last few months.

Zeek and RocketmanDane like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

no, i have no framing skills. And she used the words "WE" in her ad, as in her and someone else already there........its seems to be a commune style property. :confused:

she also mentioned no profanity or drinking....every second word out of my trucker mouth is profanity, and i like beer. :D

also, if it is a hippy dippy style property, its probably full of vegans and evinro nuts....my Pro -Pipeline, pro gun, pro military, pro diesel truck etc views would probably get me into fights there

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

With the price of gas up here passing the $1.60 per Liter ( .26 US Gallon) mark, it now costs me just under $100 to fill the Tracker. That only lasts about 300 KM at most (heavy 10 ply off road mudders, low gearing and auto tranny).

so ive fallen back to the ol Beer Run board (FlexDex Grenade) for transportation. Lil rocket it is .........Biltin bearing races with ceramic balls, synthetic grease, Bear Grizzly 180 mm trucks, ABEC11 RETRO BigZiG 75mm wheels. Thing picks up speed rapidly....

small enough to strap to a day pack. Its a fun lil whip to ride, the wide trucks make it super stable at speed. Thing is damn scary at how rapidly it picks up speed. Wicked little board for ripping around on errands or going for a rip around Stanley Park seawall

20180520_144401.jpg 20180520_144431.jpg

also dusted off the cruiser bike and got er oiled and aired up.

17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the old OFS! (One :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Speed!) :D beer run bike cruiser. 80's era Specialized RockHopper. Rear brake bosses cut off and smoothed, cable bosses removed and smoothed, leather seat, seatpost QR replaced with bolt and black loctite and secured with old bike chain against the f-ing thieves, rear hub is an 80's era BULLSEYE, original sealed bearings, Mavic mtb rim, Pulstar straight pull spoke hub on the front, Continental real rubber Town & Country tires (they should have never stopped making these), big full coverage fenders and mudflaps cut from an old swiss rubber bag, SUntour grease injectable bottom bracket from the 80's, ROACH top tube cover secured with old chain, single front brake, nice CNC machined stem, leather grips and a big honking Dutch Ding Dong bell. Also some old chainring decorations.

Mountain biked this bike for years, wore it out many times and replaced a lot of parts on it over the years, stripped it down to basics for a courier bike, it probably has over 175,000 km's on it from mountain biking, touring, bike courier use and general use. Only thing original on it is the frame of course, and the SunTour bottom bracket.

EDIT: also had the 1" head tube replaced with an 1&1/8" headtube/ head set after cracking the welds during the ol Beer & Bike mountain bike rides down Oil Can in the North Shore trails. This resulted in a 1" shorter top tube, but it was fine to ride.

going to give it a military OD paint job this summer.

20180520_180159.jpg 20180520_180212.jpg 20180520_180239.jpg 20180520_180248.jpg 20180520_180258.jpg 20180520_180308.jpg 20180520_180328.jpg 20180520_180337.jpg 20180520_180222.jpg
    20180520_180346.jpg

Stone, Drew RedBear, Zeek and 5 others like this.
  18. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

I have the short version of that stem. The guy who designed them used to work at a local bike shop and would get excited whenever he saw it. Company that produced them started doing higher paying aerospace work and he couldn't find a replacement manufacturer.

[​IMG]

ManOfSteel, koolaidnd and Bushman5 like this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

holy crap! i think there is only two of those little shorty stems made!

I'm going to fill in the machined out voids in mine with GITD powder and epoxy.

20. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I really didn't want to make a thread for this, probably stupid, question but does anyone know the angle of the serrations on esee knives? I bought an attachment for my Lansky system and I don't want to mess it up. Tia.