ESEE Fire Steel - My favorite primitive fire tool

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Reno Lewis, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I've owned this for about 3.5 years, and used it a good amount when I first got it. I ended up moving away from bushcrafty stuff for a while to focus on rescue training, but I'm circling back around now to practicing more primitive skills. That said, I've had a lot of experience with this little guy over the past few years, and feel comfortable enough with it to write up a short review. Hope you enjoy!

Since I started practicing friction fire when I was 14, I've made and tried many different types of bearing blocks, from simple green wood to skateboard bearings set into wood or stacked leather.

This, however, might be my favorite. It does get hot though, so something between the steel and your palm is preferable. A heavy glove, bandanna, green leaves, a thick piece of bark, a spare sock etc all work well as insulation from the heat.

[​IMG]

Strikes a ferro rod well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Works great with a chunk of flint too. I recommend only using one side for striking flint, so the other side is kept clean and sharp for the ferro rod.

[​IMG]

Due to it's design, it can also be easily tied off to a lanyard, which makes it easier to see (harder to lose), can tie it off to your belt and carry in a pocket, wear around your neck, tie it off to a belt pouch kit etc. Using a larks head knot as shown means the lanyard is easily removable as well, so it won't hinder use.

[​IMG]

And after all is said and done, it fits perfectly into your average char tin.

[​IMG]

It provides a nearly frictionless bearing block which removes one variable from testing new wood combinations, and also means less energy expenditure. But it combines this with a very effective ferro rod scraper and a flint striker. It's durable as well, as it has taken a few accidental falls onto concrete and rocks without any damage.

All in all, aside from my knife, this has to be my favorite primitive fire tool on the market, hands down.

2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I know I love mine! Great review

Reno Lewis likes this.
  3. Buddlee

Buddlee Bottom Feeding Spammer

Great Review
    [​IMG]

Reno Lewis likes this.
  4. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Excellent bit of kit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JMick, KnOeFz, Kaw-liga and 8 others like this.
  5. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Nice write up. Love mine! Mostly I'm a hand drill guy, but definitely bust mine out for bow drillin' and anytime I want to play with flint and steel. IMG_3318.JPG

JMick, KnOeFz, Kaw-liga and 6 others like this.
  6. JMick

JMick Member

I got mine in the mail today, nice piece of kit, I like the case hardened look. I was looking for a 90` spine for my 1/2" ferro rod and wasn't ready to put one on my "3". I usually pack a "c" striker for flint n steel, but this will do everything.
    Thanks to every-ones posts.
    Can't wait to try it out.