LT Wright knives

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by sneakypete, Sep 12, 2016.

1. sneakypete

sneakypete Member

So I've been thinking of picking up a general purpose camp knife and have been really impressed with LT's knives.

I've kinda narrowed it down to a Genesis in aebl steel maybe a standard one in A2 but I won't be batoning or anything, so the thinner aebl stock won't be a issue. Would make a wicked slicer.

Second up I've been eyeing the Gary Wines bushcrafter. I know this is a Scandinavia grind but it looks great and isn't to small or to big. Kinda a French trapper style design and the handle looks like it would fit my xl hands and be comfy.

Third is a maverick scout. Although a simple design it looks like a very capable camp knife. The handle looks plenty long but not sure of the width...it looks pretty narrow. Being a flat grind would make it great for food prep and such.

I generally do car camping with my family and only camp for a few days. Occasional ext. weekend backpacking trips and got a hammock setup I might try camping with.

Anyways wondering if any of you have handled and used either of these blades and chime in your opinion. I know there are many other blades out there that could fit the bill. I've owned a few hundred knives in my years but most were mainly folders. Not interested in anything else just what's listed in the thread.

Thanks in advance!

Kaw-liga likes this.
  2. sneakypete

sneakypete Member

Anybody own one of these three blades that has a opinion?

3. Grog

Grog Member

Genesis would be my pick of those 3, I would take the GNS personally.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  4. sneakypete

sneakypete Member

Yeah I sold my gns awhile back and just missed a sweet one on blade forums in 3v. It was a nice knife. Choices choices choices

Thanks for your input

5. Seanoin

Seanoin Member

Out of those 3 I'd definitely go with the genesis. The Bushcrafter HC is the same thickness and less than half the price though.

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  6. Stewart

Stewart Member

Ive Had 2 Genesis, one scandi and one FFG, I loved the FFG. I was buying a house at the time and had to sell toys thus the reason for moving it. You cant go wrong with the Kephart pattern it works.

7. Menace

Menace Member

Anybody handled the Outback model they did exclusively for DLT trading? I think I like it, just curious how it compares to the genesis. The handle looks like it would be more comfortable

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  8. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Just got this puppy in this afternoon, spent the evening working on it. Redid the edge to my liking and saturated the sheath with Sno-Seal. Will throw some pics of the sheath up later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike Smith, Pilot, Kaw-liga and 3 others like this.
  9. mikea

mikea Member

I own both and both are great knives . The Genesis is an all around great knife and is my favorite. The handle is phenomenal as is the classic Kephart shape.

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  10. Mudman

Mudman Member

Haven't used either, but love the design on both. Held the Genesis in hand once, but didn't get to do anything with it.

I have however, owned a few L.T. Wright knives, and have never been disappointed in them. My current favorite knife happens to be made by them. It's the Kamrat that can be purchased through Lester River Bushcraft. Very good all around for a knife that size.

Between the Genesis and Gary Wines, the Gary Wines has a design that would suit me better. Dang, now I want one.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  11. mikea

mikea Member

And you sir are the reason I had to order a Kamrat.

Mudman likes this.
  12. Mudman

Mudman Member

You won't regret it. :)

13. Seanoin

Seanoin Member

Been wanting a Lagom for a while, but the Kamrat seems like a better size

14. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

@Mudman has me sold on the Kamrat!

Mudman likes this.
  15. Reno Lewis

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    FN556, Mike Smith, Kaw-liga and 4 others like this.
  16. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Man that is a great looking blade...the folks at LTWK make some great stuff and they are some of the nicest people Ive met in the industry!

17. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

@Reno Lewis Great looking knife! Any chance we could get a pic of this knife next to a ruler for reference? Is the blade width 1" or 1.25"?

18. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I have been very close to picking up all 3 of those models at one point or another. I have two Bushcrafters, one is the HC and another is an old BHK in O1 with a scandi grind. They're pretty similar to the Genesis in that they're a Kephart style blade with a broomstick handle. To me they're the most comfy knives as far as working with wood and general tasks. The Genesis has grooves up front for a "pinch" grip, which I really like.

I just glanced at the recent purchases thread and saw @Reno Lewis 's Gary Wines model. I drooled a little. Last year I had a toss up between it and the Forest Trail. I went with the Forest Trail just because I have smaller hands and thought it might fit them a little better. But I'll likely pick up one at some point. I've come across a few on the secondary market from time to time and always kick myself for passing.

That's a tough choice to make. Hard to go wrong with any for your intended task.

Here's a few pics of my Forest Trail, just to share. It just got it back to this afternoon from LTW. I had them make a Kydex sheath for it. I'll be using it at the July Field Survival course. Took a little over a week. I made due with my ESEE 4 in the mean time. ;) IMG_20180407_150423364.jpg IMG_20180407_143643681_HDR.jpg

19. Reno Lewis

I can certainly do that. In the meantime, the max blade width is exactly 3cm, or, 1.1811".

20. Reno Lewis

@Adventurer Here ya go!

[​IMG]

Mora Classic #2 and Izzy 2.

[​IMG]

Threw in the Winkler Belt knife too.

[​IMG]