Long range rifles

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by ManOfSteel, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

No Gorillas near me soo...:cool:

STPNWLF and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  2. ny700

ny700 Member

E9C25ABB-0C6C-4292-813F-23794E281EEE.jpeg 85249DDA-5E1C-4D64-95C6-9C122EBDFEB4.jpeg The gorilla ammo is good stuff. They do a 308 load with the Lehigh 145gr controlled caos projectile which would be interesting. It’s an all copper solid projectile so especially good in states where you can use lead. It apparently is a very deveatating projectile.

If someone who does not reload really wants to dial in a load for their rifle there are several companies who will either work up a variety of ammonfor you to try or you send them your rifle and they will tailor a round specific to your rifle and your requirements.
    They then keep that data on file and will produce your specific round on order.

Copper creek is one of the best
    http://coppercreekammo.com/product/308-winchester-load-development-pack-stage-one/

The other one I can suggest is Chad at Dallas reloads
    https://dallasreloads.com/

Now some of these services seam expensive. And they are. But depending on what someone want to do with their rifle the ammo costs more then the gun eventually. That time line depends on how often, how much and what ammo you shoot.

For hunters knowing that you turned your 1moa rifle into a .5moa rifle because of the custom ammo may mean a hit or a miss on your $2k+ elk hunt the $300-$500 for the custom ammo may not be a big deal

Then again premium off the shelf may work very well in your rifle

There is always hanloading. I will say it can be fun and yes it makes a difference in accuracy. It is not cheaper, in that you have the start up expense and the. What I generally have scene you shoot more so total cost savings goes away. But it is A LOT easier then people think. definitly nothing to be scared of as long as you keep the alcohol out of the loading room and you take your time.

You may have reloaded near you who would be willing to teach you or even let you use their equipment. Life often gets in my way from reloading. So I have often offered up my space and equipment to friends, I show them what to do and dial everything in for them, then let them run the machines they just bring their components to use.

Either way if you don’t reload save your brass!!!!!!!!!!
    One, one day you might want to reload, 2. Companies like Dallas reload will reuse your brass for your own ammonproduction, 3. You can sell it. On most cases you can get at least .25 per case. This is one of the advantages of buying better ammo to start is the brass has more value on the back end. 1x fires lapua brass for instance can get you .50 a case.

3. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

I was referring to the ammo not the ape's :rolleyes:

ManOfSteel and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

My rifle likes it very much. Very consistent through the Chrony.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

..... AR2206 or AR2008 (Varget to you in the US) would be my guess. It is made in the Australian Govt munitions factory here, all the ADI Powders made for Hogdon etc are out of the same facilities so it will be one of them. The issue 7.62 loading here, F4 Ball (144gn FMJ), was done on AR2206 for years.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Member

I was thinking Varget but recently read some info suggesting H4350 was even less temperature sensitive. I guess it's a little too slow of a burn rate for the 308 though.

7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

...... H4350 = AR2209, yes maybe bit slow in the .308 but still workable. Varget (Ar2208) and H4350 (AR2209) are both BTI powders I believe.

Here is something I just Googled up on the subject...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/outback_ammo.html

8. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Rifle shows up tomorrow. I’m getting antsy!

63C86325-E9F1-4DAB-9A8E-030125174A96.jpeg

9. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Just ordered that Blackhawk bipod/rail adaptor thing. If my knife sells quickly I’ll be ordering the Atlas tomorrow.

10. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

CTR lands today. Heard NICS is taking hours lately but we’ll see if I have time to get it after work.

11. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

What bipod do you guys use? I want an Atlas but idk which one of which height.

12. Zeek

Zeek Member

I'm using this Harris one.

The Marsh Gorilla and ManOfSteel like this.
  13. ny700

ny700 Member

if Money isn’t an option the elite iron revolution bipod. It’s the closest to the Sako TRG style which is hands down the best bipod I’ve ever used.

Atlas is awesome and definitely a solid step above the hairs which is a very good bipod and best bang for the buck.

As far as the atlas goes I would go with the BT65
    It has a wider leg stance which is a bonus. It has anti rotation legs. One issue with the atlas v8 is the legs rotate so when you load the bipod sometimes the rifle would role foward. This was corrected in the design. It also utilizes the Pod lock to lock down the can’t and rotation which you can not completely lock out on the original atlas.

As far as quick release, not necessary unless you have multiple rifles you are going to use it on which if that is the case the. It’s a no brainer to get

14. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I've got the 13-27" version of that one. Love it for field use.

ManOfSteel and Zeek like this.
  15. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I wish I could find the BT65

16. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

17. ny700

ny700 Member

18. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Thank you sir. I like that the legs don’t spin!

19. Zeek

Zeek Member

Where's the pics of your new rifle man??? :D

DirtySouth and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  20. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Dude. My FFL really pissed me off yesterday. He’s like “NICS is really backed up so come back in a couple days to fill it out and we’ll get you in the que”. I was like wtf dude get me in the que I need it for this weekend. He responds “I can’t guarantee it for this weekend so come back Thursday and we’ll get you in the system”. I texted him after I left and told him I’ll be in today to do my paperwork. This is the last time I’ll use him or his shop.

Bcamos, The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.