Remington Arms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Expat, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

But KelTec is innovative. Every gun they make is. Quality is lacking IMO as evidenced in me only owning them for a short period of time.

Bcamos and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  2. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I will say that they have some awesome ideas. I just wish the QC was there to back them up.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. wilas101

wilas101 Member

I have 500 bucks to throw in if you guys wanna pool resources and just buy Remington.

ASH and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

I'll match that.

5. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1383.JPG Too late for me. I just spent my money on a Remlin or Marlington 1894 in 45 Colt, pictured with my old one.

I think the quality control is back as they seem pretty equal.

6. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I bought one of the new Remington V3 shotguns last year and that thing is great! It gets good reviews online too. I love it. I know everyone hates the 700 trigger and some other items but I've been happy with Remington's. I've been using 870s for 30 years with never a hiccup on any of them.

SC864 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  7. Nowhere

Nowhere Member

I have a number of Remingtons and they're all fine. They are not the best, most innovative guns, but I would agree the problem isn't really rooted there. It's a business problem.

The Marsh Gorilla and SC864 like this.
  8. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I have used The stock 700 or 7 trigger in everyone I ever had. Even those that were blueprinted. I had a formula for setting them and then putting fingernail polish over the screws. I then tried to work the bolt as aggressively as possible to get it to hit. If it did not, it was good to go. I suspect many of the accidental discharges were people setting the trigger to light and not performing the last step.

I do admit that I now prefer the Savage LRP rifles. They come pretty well ready to go. If they are too light they will not even cock.I will be rebarreling one soon to the "cartridge of the cretons " the 308 win. It is currently in 22-250 and I have found no place to use it.

I do hate the 870. Familiarity breeds contempt.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  9. ASH

ASH Member

I read today that it is Chapter 11.

10. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Yeah, they found enough capital for chapter 11.

It's not a product issue. They have the best selling shotgun of all time, and possibly the best selling rifle of all time, not to mention they have other subsidiaries that make excellent products that make money, like Barnes bullets, DPMS, Marlin, H& R, etc, etc. Heck, they even own the Parker guns. And I know old @KMCMICHAEL has a handful of them in the back of the Liberty...

11. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

Maybe my innovation comment/observation was unwarranted. Just seems to me that they have coasted on 40-50 year old designs. Mostly good stuff, but old. Hell, damn near everyone I know owns a 700, 870, 1100. Any other prolific models from Remington? Not much more market penetration can happen.

As far as innovation goes, they did through acquisitions; and that was a brand that was already mature, if not on the decline. (DPMS).

And the 700 trigger does suck. It’s not safe out of the box. It’s a poor design. Even the designer said so. Junk it and replace with Timney.

I’m not hating on Remington, but they haven’t done themselves any favors for myriad reasons.

Zeek likes this.
  12. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

My dad has a Remington 870 Wingmaster and it is a very nice pump. It balances a little better than the Express in my opinion. It also has the higher rail down the barrel which seems to line up with where you are aiming better. The 2nd bead on the barrel and stock cosmetics are a nice plus as well.