Reloading...

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Andy the Aussie, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Nice, Zeek.

Do you ever reload military brass? And if so, what are you using to ream the crimped pockets?

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yep... it's a pain :mad:

I'm using the Lyman Case Prep Xpress Case Prep Center. I don't remember paying that much for it though.
    It works O.K. for me but I'm only doing small volumes for precision in my MK12.

I think swaging them may be the way to go if you're doing larger quantities. Can't beat this !!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    SC864, The Marsh Gorilla and Datilite like this.
  3. Expat

That’s what I was looking at- the Dillon. I need to do several thousand.

SC864, The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yeah... I don't think you want to do several thousand with a reamer. I wouldn't, someone else can chime in....

SC864 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Finally getting somewhere! I’ve kind of come up with my own process, and I think it stems from being a new guy. But it works for me and almost feels more efficient. The running standard seems to be that new reloaders should start on a single stage press. I traded into my progressive so I decided to just hit the ground running. Instead of using it as an actual progressive press, I use it as a semi-progressive press haha. I decap/resize, then re-prime. Then I take the case out of the shell holder and into my loading block. Only working two cases on the press at a time working this way in batches of 50. I did this until I had several hundred sized and primed cases sitting in a plastic jug.

Then I take those cases, starting at the powder dump stage then seating then crimp and done. So 3 cases on the press at a time.

Doing it this way almost seems more efficient because I’m focusing on less at once so I can get into a groove and in the first process I’m mainly paying attention to the primer feed and in the second process I’m mainly paying attention to the powder dump. Rather than having to be worried about both of those things at the same time.

Probably not the right way. But I like it and it makes me more comfortable doing it like that.

A6FC5D27-B5EC-4596-A40B-3D46EB11BFB3.jpeg FCEC6140-5EFE-4DC7-A81C-8AE91FABEB43.jpeg

6. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

7. Expat

The right way is whatever makes it go bang when you want it, and not bang when you don’t.

After that, it’s simply a measure of fine tuning accuracy to your individual acceptable range.

Everyone seems to do things a little bit differently. Me, I learned rather early on that my gun doesn’t care if the shells are shiny or not so I don’t bother with tumbling anything for handgun. Saves time, expense and equipment. My rounds look pretty ugly when they are done.

Other people would not even dream of putting anything less than a brilliantly reflective tumbles and polished case in their gun.

To each his own.

8. Blake G

Blake G Member

I use my 550 as a turret press most of the time, it works great. Dillon is even selling it as one now as the 550BL or something similar...

Datilite and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

I think I'll load some of these up tomorrow for my 223 bolt gun, 62gr Noslers.

I''ve been trying more stuff from Nosler recently after using Sierras for years. Although I still think the Sierra 65gr GameKing is one of the best all around choices for hunting.
    20180127_184627.jpg

The Marsh Gorilla, Datilite and SC864 like this.
  10. Zeek

Zeek Member

Sooo... as usual, I didn't shoot enough during the warm months, so I'm running out of empty brass.

Well, I have lots of 5.56mm and 9mm but I am bored with that, no more 308 or 45 colt. :(

Just noticed I have a sheeit ton of 38spl / 357mag so just order a die set for that. Thinking of going heavy for caliber and loading up some 180gr stuff. :D

11. Rick R

Rick R Member

12. Zeek

Zeek Member

Love these big 328gr bullets. :D
    20180211_110210.jpg

13. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

How is the accuracy with those? Clean/great lookin rounds. I’ve been using laser cast under 296 for the .44 Mag with pretty good results.
    9C6E0F9D-E0BC-4147-A30C-DD66A7570DC1.jpeg

14. Zeek

Zeek Member

I have only shot them off hand at close range... maybe 7 yards. They seem O.K.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  15. Strigidae

Anyone using beartooth bullets?

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  16. Rick R

Rick R Member

I have a mold that drops a .454” 270gr SAA bullet that looks a lot like those. It’s the main reason I really need another .45 Colt revolver.

17. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

I haven’t tried them yet. Nice looking boolits! They have a selection of gas checked also. Very cool!

The Marsh Gorilla, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  18. Strigidae

Ive got some on order. Was told to not expect them fast.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  19. Rick R

Rick R Member

What did you order? Beartooth is supposed to be one of the better boutique bullet companies.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  20. Strigidae

.460 425 and 525gr pile drivers.