Shotgun Recommendation

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Delkancott, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Black Train

Black Train Member

2. Ovarb19

Ovarb19 Guest

Zeitgeist and Boweevil like this.
  3. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

The short side by side home defense coach gun by stoeger. Has a short rail for putting a light on and has a tritium front sight.

Perfect for her.

And pretty darn good for you too

4. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

That'd be the Stoeger double defender
    There's also the Chiappa triple threat

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. Benson X

Benson X Member

Mossberg 930SPX!!!!

No - it's not practical for strictly home defense....but hot damn is it a badass shotgun! There's something about slinging 9+ 1oz slugs at a target that just makes me smile :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and STPNWLF like this.
  6. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

I agree with you @Benson X 10 shots even better:D
    IMG_20170427_060816.jpg

7. Benson X

Benson X Member

I can fit (10) 2-3/4" shells, but I have to ghost-load the last one. It functions fine doing that, but I've never felt 100% comfortable doing that for one extra shell.

I upgraded the mag. extension and spring to a Nordic to fit (9) shells, and get the tube right flush with the muzzle. I also added a 6-shot side saddle recently and would like to upgrade to the "Monte Carlo" stock with the riser. I really do love this shotgun! :D

The Marsh Gorilla and STPNWLF like this.
  8. Blake G

Blake G Member

If you'e using FC ammo you don't need the vang comp mod, nor do you need it at across the room distances - spend the money saved on ammo instead.

I'd strongly recommend you look at the Mossberg 500 Bantam or Rem 870 Youth Express, both in 20 gauge. Look at the Federal PD #4 buckshot for serious business (100 rds will last you a long time, even firing a few rounds occasionally for familiarization), any 1 oz trap loads for practice (buy a couple cases, it's cheap), and you'e still not up to the cost of he Vang Comp conversion...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Zeek likes this.
  9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

This thread seems rather divisive. I really cannot imagine my small non firearms enthusiast wife trying to wield the tactical shotguns pictured above. Kind of like giving her my .475 Linbaugh with full loads to shoot.

I no longer see any use for a pump action, with the exception of some non lethal or other light loads that will not operat the semi action. Lest ye think I have never used a pump extensively. I shot a win model 12 as a youth at birds and skeet. I carried an 870 for years in the field and taught the use of it in our curriculum but do not take my word for it. Have someone knowledgeable watch you search your house with a long gun. Put yourself through a high pressure course of fire with a pump with someone yelling at you. No need to believe me or some hack you read in a tactical publication, find out how you, your loved one and your weapon perform in a realistic situation.

10. Blake G

Blake G Member

If you'e referencing the "clearing your house" comments above I agree completely. I still do think the youth sized 20 ga pump gun is viable however.

Any "clearing" of my house will consist of my 280# ass being hunkered down behind my carbine with a bead on my bedroom door (steel insulated exterior door with deadbolt lock). Anybody who manages to beat that down deserves what they get...

Kaw-liga and ManOfSteel like this.
  11. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

One’s background will always influence opinion. If I suspect something in my house, I will always check out within a certain time period.

Of course a 20 ga pump is a viable option. My only suggestion is to train with whatever your choice is and if possible look at all the options.

12. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

I like the 20 gauge pumps. The youth models often fit petite women and you can even shoot clay pigeons with it. If your wife wants to train go right ahead. I find people's interest don't necessarily reflect my own, so the broader appeal of clay pigeons is a good tool to practice handling of a shotgun in lieu of a tactical class.

Kaw-liga, STPNWLF and nathan shepherd like this.
  13. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Clay pigeons are a great for training! Nothing else can make you hurry like that.

14. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

Been running a Mossy 500 for a lot of years. Never any trouble with them. Mine has the short barrel, and full stock.

15. stickman

stickman Member

People won't do the first, and the majority of firearm owners won't do the second. However, you are 100% spot on without any room for error in my military mind. Much like you, I've taught thousands of firearm students, and have personally cleared hundreds if not thousands of structures. Throwing a chick a shotgun and telling her she is GTG is an embarrassment to all involved.

Getting a 20 gauge makes much more sense than getting a small non-firearm interested person a 12 gauge. My niece is by no means a firearm freak, but she would choose an AR over a shotgun due to her actual use of both weapons. KMC commented about short stroking a pump action shotgun, and it is worth pointing out and reading two or three times. The probability of it happening is large.

ETA- The shorter throw on the 20 gauge is something that may be of aid.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  16. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Unfortunately I do not believe it to be a shorter throw. Both shells are at least 2 3/4" more likely 3"

An AR is a ton easier to shoot for a smaller weaker person as there is little recoil, and likely will have less malfunctions in a stressful situation.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  17. Zeek

Zeek Member

Sooo... @KMCMICHAEL and @stickman, I respect you guys. Is there a particular firearm (long gun) that you would recommend for home defense or are there just too many variables???

I'll tell you, I was thinking an AR may be a better option as soon as I first opened this thread or maybe a pistol caliber carbine. I can't see my wife using a shotgun of any type but she can shoot sh!t up in a hurry with my AR. :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  18. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

If she likes the AR...why not.

19. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

An AR would be a cheaper option for us as we already have one. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

20. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

The last time I handed my wife my AR at the range, I thought she was gonna hand it back to me with pink furniture on it. She hasn't shot it since I put glass on it. I've got half a mind to tell her that I sold it.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.