Boots?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by RocketmanDane, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

I have the Muck Artic sport. Very comfortable, use them everyday, year round to walk the dog, so about 1.5 - 2 miles per day. My first pair developed a crack in the uppers at the point were it was flexing after about 1 year. LL Bean replaced them no questions asked. The second pair developed nearly identical cracks after about the same amount of time. That was about a year ago now. I'm still wearing them with the cracks and my feet are dry so there must be an inner liner that is keeping them waterproof.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. Black5

Black5 Member

I shall defer to the experienced....
    download (1).jpeg

Flex, Zeitgeist and Zeek like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....I concur....I ran the camera for Zeek's last adventure.... ;)

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  4. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

Justin AQHA cowboy boots with leather soles, or Twisted X mocs for day to day, corcoran brown jump boots for everythimg else

5. chessiedog1

chessiedog1 Member

for work I wear two different brands. WESCO and a Hoffman boot, I climb telephone poles for a living. Wesco can make you a custom boots if you order their kit and measure each foot , expensive but long term the same price as buying a $200 every 18 to 24 months. My Wescos are 6 years old and just got the first resole. They are the most comfortable boots for me. Again very expensive but make a difference for me on a pole for 10 hours a day. Once my Hoffman boots are done, I will buy another pair of WESCOs.

I think the most important thing for long life of any boot is to let them dry out! I use a boot dryer and switch wearing my boots every other day . Next would be conditioning the leather every few months with what the manufacture recommends.This helps to keep the leather from dry rotting.

For my hunting boots I use Danners ( Canada's ) and a old pair of Chippewas.

STPNWLF likes this.
  6. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

So damned comfortable. Double H will now have my business.

3434225F-344F-4AF2-8C7C-09CC52A5F98F.jpeg

koolaidnd and Zeek like this.
  7. ASH

ASH Member

Good luck with those HH's. I bought a USA made pair a few years ago and wore through the toe in just a few days by kneeling on a cement floor.

8. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

That’ll happen to any boot I’ve ever had. Mine are US made and are very comfortable. If they hold up I’m gonna keep buying them.

9. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I'm partial to usa made Justin's. Comfortable and have held up to 2 years of non stop abuse

10. ASH

ASH Member

I like square toe boots, but right at the edge of the square is what wore through. A round toe may have done better. I was building a 53' car hauler at the time and was constantly climbing up, down and crawling under it. My $35 USMC boots held up fine to the same work, it just made me sick that I wore a hole in my nice $200 boots in less than a week. I should have sent them back but I waited too long.

11. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I completely understand the feeling. I’ll wear my Ariats for **** kicking but these are seriously nice boots so I won’t be wearing them for any kind of work for a while. I wear my Thorogood pull-ons for work and they’ve been great for over a year now.

12. MKZ

MKZ Member

I was on the hunt for cheaper work boots to get me by for the time being until I could affford some better ones. I tried on at least 25 pairs before ending up with these. They’ve got a larger toe box that accommodates my big ass foot and comfort isn’t too bad. FFBA87B2-0F3A-41D7-9383-3055B62190FA.jpeg

Zeek likes this.
  13. La\\//inci

La\\//inci Member

14. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

So after wearing my new HH’s around for a week I realized how poorly my Ariats fit. They fit my buddy here in AZ so I gave them to him since I won’t be wearing them anymore. I’m ordering these and one other pair and then I’m done for a while.

https://www.doublehboots.com/Product?stockNo=DH3713

Zeek likes this.
  15. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Member

Both my wife and I have some Wesco’s too. Ours are engineer boots and more for the city, but I’ve pressed mine into a few days of heavier work and they stayed comfy all day. Full disclosure, I’m sitting on the couch drinking the morning coffee less than two miles from their location. We found out about them and had to have a pair of custom boots made; it was just too convenient.

16. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Member

Thick, heavy, wool socks that stay up all day guys; whatcha got? I’m in need of some new ones but it’s hard to find that criteria. Most socks are cotton, the wool ones typically advertise “lightweight” (probably to not scare off people who think wool is too hot), and I have a real problem with constantly readjusting my socks multiple times a day. A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Zeek likes this.
  17. vikingr

vikingr Member

Falke TK Wool are awesome

hopsbreath likes this.
  18. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Zeek, STPNWLF and Michael W. like this.
  19. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Well I am happy to report after wearing these daily for 9 days including in some serious Oregon Rain and pre Christmas coldness I am impressed :)

They came out of the box feeling good and after a few hours in the rain and puddles and they felt well broken in. My biggest concern with all footwear is width and while only a little pinch snug when I first put them on they widen out perfect within a hour or 2 of use.

Do I think these would survive extreme daily use? I wouldn’t go that far... BUT I do feel they will last me a fairly long time with use a couple of days per week with some decent use. :)

20. Byrdman

Byrdman Member

How are the Gobi IIs? I'm trying to decide between them and Soft Star chukkas. How durable are they in terms of sole wear adn whatnot?