Talk to me about bow hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Kevo, Oct 31, 2018.

1. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Bow hunting can be one of the most frustrating, as well as the most fulfilling sports afield. The moment you get your equipment figured out, and think you have the game figured out, something will upset the cart. Deer repattern due to crop rotation choices, weather changes keep deer off the hoof, the full moon moves deer all night and they lay up in the bed all day, ...

I lived in Alabama for many years with a 90 day firearms season. Missouri only has 11 days of firearms season. I picked up a bow to accommodate.

Bow hunting is much more personal. You get to watch the game interact within their social structure in a greater level than with firearms. It is super addictive.

The archery shop will be your best friend. Set up, social network, and skill sharpening. If you buy local they will help you fine tune, and give you the best intel. Don’t expect anyone to invite you to their favorite spot, but the more you hang around, the more advice you can pick up. What type of place to hunt, how to figure the wind, when game is moving, when the rut is on, etc.

Little by little. I would not buy a bow first. Make a friend at a bow shop, first. The network will be far more important than the equipment.

2. Kevo

Kevo Member

@SEMO thank you for the sound advice!

I've spent a couple of hours hanging around 2 local bow shops, and if nothing else, heard some great hunting stories. Also had a chance to get out in some nasty weather and slowly walk and glass the woods near me. Does abound and I saw 1 spike that I promptly lost track of in the bush. I'm going to be out of town for a bit, but once I get back I'll be looking at picking up a few things.

SEMO and Strigidae like this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo Member

Back in town and I used my black Friday day off to go spend the morning wandering around the woods. Not a whole lot of wildlife, but I did see some good sign and stumbled across a couple of game trails and beds. After that I went over to an archery range and was able to get a couple hours in with an instructor and a rental bow. Shooting some arrows was a blast! And I feel like I got some good use out of the instruction.

Strigidae, shaneadams90, SEMO and 2 others like this.
  4. Kevo

Kevo Member

Bows are freaking expensive.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Look at bows that are a few years old. You can get a whole used package (bow, site, release, quiver, arrows maybe) for much cheaper than a new bare bow.

Shop for a shop and bowtech first!

Kevo likes this.
  6. Kevo

Kevo Member

That's looking like the plan currently. I've just been filing through the used adds trying to get a hold of something that is in decent shape. Being wrong handed has made that a bit tough.

I did find a shop that I really seem to like, so at this point it is just a waiting game to find something used that doesn't immediately need strings and work.

7. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

@Kevo

My oldest is wrong handed as well and while there maybe fewer options he was able to find an absolute STEAL in a brand new bow that was insane.

New bows have been released so you may stumble upon a older model that is new. Keep the faith as the dealers that have older models are usually ready to convert them to cash!!

Strigidae, Kevo and RocketmanDane like this.
  8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Kevo I agree wish @shaneadams90 if you you found a shop you like your one step ahead.
    What you might do is mention to the shop what your looking for and see if they have a “wish list” so if they see something come in or hear of something you can get a call.
    Also If you have Face Book take a look in their. “Marketplace” and set a notification for new items. I’ve got some awesome trades that way.

Kevo likes this.
  9. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Yea they are especially quality/name brand ones

Kevo likes this.
  10. Kevo

Kevo Member

Anybody have any experience with the Hoyt MT Sport with ZR200 limbs? I might have a line on one through Craigslist.

11. Kevo

Kevo Member

Another question for you gents. What's the word on crossbows? They were recently made legal here for use during all archery seasons. I'm interested, but I seem to have come across some pretty strong stigmas about the subject locally and not sure why.

12. Kevo

Kevo Member

Well guys, I've got a bow incoming. A guy from the shop pointed me towards a guy in Wisconsin who has a lefty diamond in great shape with new strings and cables. We chatted for a bit and I should be receiving said package next week.

RocketmanDane and Strigidae like this.
  13. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Congrats!

Kevo likes this.
  14. Kevo

Kevo Member

Thank you! Now the work begins to get some manner of proficiency.

15. Kevo

Kevo Member

Quick update for y'all. I got my bow in last week and took it to the local pro shop for a look over and adjustments. A couple small parts needed fixing but after 2 hours of adjusting and tying in I was off and shooting! So far so good. I am going to be replacing the sight setup and getting a new release at some point before turkey season.

Strigidae and STPNWLF like this.
  16. Strigidae

Excellent!

17. Kevo

Kevo Member

I got the sight on my bow and tried out the new release. Still can't shoot worth a damn but I'm moving in the right direction.

18. Strigidae

NICE!! got any pictures of your setup?

Kevo likes this.
  19. Kevo

Kevo Member

None at the moment, but I can definitely take a couple of shots after work.

Strigidae likes this.
  20. Kevo

Kevo Member

A little late, but here's a quick one I snapped.
    20190109_175849.jpg