Search for missing twin newborn calves.

Discussion in 'Search, Rescue and Technical Skills' started by Shepherd, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Shepherd

Shepherd Member

5AAE99CC-E7E8-4FAE-89CF-79DB76C9E585.jpeg My neighbor and brother in law's cow had twin calves a few days ago.
    One of the children had left a gate open.
    So evening time and they checked on them and both were missing. Weather was mild with 50 degrees and light rain and foggy. Thunderstorm warning for later evening. They searched nearby with out any sign of them.
    I have a 9 mo old Catahoola/Healer cross dog that I wanted to test out. I volunteered to help look for them in the morning. 7:30 Jack (my dog ) and I were out and started looking around the area they had been and kept searching some fields and woods . Jack is a hound and has his nose to the ground. He will stay within a 20-50 yd radius of me. If I can't see him and think he may be too far I can call his name and he will come and touch base with me and everything is good.
    After 1 hr of searching the heifer calf showed up in the barn yard. Great so we searched more around there for the bull calf but no sign of the calf. We kept looking in areas around that we had checked and other pastures that were shut but maybe calves could get through to them. We crossed a fence and headed east toward a neighbors boundary line in a woods when jack started barking . This was the first I had heard him in our search other than a yelp where he must have hit a wire or stepped on a thorn. Jack kept barking and I was about 30 yds from him and headed towards his direction. There laying down in the leaves was the dark Red Bull calf. We had to carry the calf about 400 yds to its mama. Taking turns carrying about 70 lb squirming calf. All is well that ends well.
    It was a good test for my dog for I wanted to see if he would bark when he found his target. He has the prey drive, size, determination for a search and rescue dog. Will next work with him tracking and trailing scent.

Zeek, IW17, hma153 and 5 others like this.
  2. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

Glad it all worked out.

Strigidae and Shepherd like this.