Bushcraft Belt Kit?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stormstaff, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Member

I'm looking to build a belt system that's easy to throw on in mild weather or to supplement my backpack in winter. My plan is to base it around a Maxpedition Thermite. I have also mounted on the belt a Maxpedition Bottle Holder, Corona Folding saw w/sheath & whatever knife I'll be using at the time. I also have a Maxpedition Rolly Poly I could add and/or a Maxpedition 3x5 that holds an Altoids tin with room to spare.

The bottle holder will have a Nalgene & nesting cup. I'm looking for suggestions on what to pack in the Thermite. Squeeze a 3' x 5' tarp in it? FAK? Water filter?

Sorry for the vague question but I normally just throw everything in a backpack and go. Trying to lighten a little and organize some too.

Thanks in advance for you help and suggestions!

JMJ likes this.
  2. JMJ

JMJ Member

That's an awesome idea! I've considered something similar, but haven't found a belt I wanna use as a foundation.

Stormstaff likes this.
  3. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Member

One of the problems that I can see is if I try to load too much onto the belt and make it uncomfortable. I've also kicked around the idea of adding a "baldric" style strap of needed to help it carry better. I don't want to get too crazy though otherwise I'll be defeating the whole purpose of a lighter weight grab and go to the woods system. If I put a baldric on it, maybe braided paracord with a shoulder pad so I always have lots of paracord if needed.

I just don't want to get into the realm of I might as well carry my Maxpedition Fatboy Jumbo around

JMJ likes this.
  4. clusterchuck

clusterchuck Member

Maxpeds proteus is another option, granted its a tactical fanny pack. Had one for awhile, and it worked very well. However, like most of us here, I kept buying more stuff, so I needed a bigger "smaller" pack.

Stormstaff likes this.
  5. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Member

I own the Thermite already. Trying to work with what I already own. Thanks for the suggestion though

6. clusterchuck

clusterchuck Member

You bet, and if things get heavy, a good pair of suspenders is always an option. Haven't seen these in use much, maybe this forum should bring them back.

7. mmbackpacker

mmbackpacker Member

I have thought a nice belt with a drop pouch, the knife, and a pouch for an altoids tin (fire kit, fishing kit or whatever, depending) would be a cool setup. I'd go with leather and canvas myself (etsy has some handcrafted leather and canvas drop pouches that got me thinking about it).