The "Untouchable" subject.

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by anrkst6973, Oct 13, 2021.

1. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Moving dirt...making holes. Something that everybody hopes everyone else does a good job of. Sadly, not always true.
    This is a thread for diggers. What do you use to move the soil?

anomad and Zeek like this.
  2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

The soil here is like knots of steel wire disguised as roots, encased in concrete.
    In trying not to need a full size Case-Allison backhoe to make a cat hole...

20211013_173659.jpg
    I came up with this lil thing. It's has good reviews and a couple of decent videos on YouTube. First impression was I'm going to destroy this..

20211013_173722.jpg
    It does surprise you. You need to wear gloves because it's thin but packed soil and smaller roots (pencil size ) it worked.

20211013_173830.jpg
    I didn't try to lever any boulders nor was I really hammering the tool. It took about 5 minutes of chip chip chip to make a 6x6 hole...

20211013_173736.jpg
    That's not bad for .6 oz (17g) 6 3/4" aluminium tool.
    I'm going to use this a bit as well as try out some other lightweight options and tell you what I think.

Strigidae, Zeek and DiscoveryLover like this.
  3. erik

erik Member

I've used the wire frame folding saw from wally to dig catholes and a CS spetznaz shovel for just about everything else when camping/hiking.
    at home I prefer something more substantial with either a d-handle or a 60" straight for cleaning up after the tractor or a post hole digger.
    if tree roots are involved, so is my axe mattock

anrkst6973 likes this.
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I hear you there. I’ve got D handle Razorbacks for the house, Got a 25 year old Spetz that been a gazillion miles with me. Its currently in my Jeep kit. I’m also not quite the 22 year old hill eater I once was either. my walk about pack is a svelte 22-23 lbs so I’m ever looking for ways to keep wearing out Vibram soles with out punching my own final ticket.

erik likes this.
  5. anomad

anomad Member

Look no further than my avatar for the appropriate tool to dig holes. It even has an in cabin air filter and air conditioning to remove any unpleasant odors upon digging or refilling said hole. It's awkward to carry in the field though.

Jokes aside... for answering nature's #2 call whilst in nature. It depends on your dirt. Sand? Ok, great a 2 foot hole. Rock hard clay and roots? Probably means you get a lot of rain and poop will be fine with some dirt scratched over it and a bunch of forest debris piled on top to help it decay.

I used to do field work for a living. The worst for me is answering natures call in the snow. You can't do anything but bury it in snow and hope you chose a thoughtful enough place that no one will be disgusted when it melts.

erik and anrkst6973 like this.
  6. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Honestly, I’ll knock out a rough digging stick whenever I make camp. Great for cat holes, plus any other digging you end up having to do. Plus side is I don’t need to carry the weight with me, downside is some dirt will need to be scooped out by hand. It works for me for my more primitive trips.

Backpacking I used a titanium trowel similar to the one pictured above. Worked really well for my two months trekking in the PNW. In the Southwest....it’s decent....depending on where you dig.

anrkst6973 likes this.
  7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

fortunately I have no shortage of green saplings like oak, hickory, ironwood, so I’m on the hunt for a nice 1” diameter 16” long section to make a version of an Aussie pulling stick. I saw one being used in a machete instruction video and thought a rounded point on the longer section would be like your “ digging stick”.
    If you have, or think to take one, throw up a pic of yours. It’s on target for this thread subject. :)

Zeek likes this.