Denali NP?

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by RocketmanDane, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I am considering a trip to Denali NP next summer and i am curious if anyone around here has any experience with Denali NP?

Thoughts?
    Ideas?
    Tips?
    Tricks?

2. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

Anything particular you want to know about? I’ve been a couple of times, nothing major though

3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Trying to figure it all out at the moment, Was thinking of heading up from Anchorage is about as far as i have gotten :)

4. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

As far as time goes I think the first week of September would be a great time to go and that’s about as late as I would chance it. The road isn’t open all the way until the end of June or into July depending on the amount of snow they get the winter before. The mosquitos should be thinning out by then also. After the first of September the snow comes in pretty fast. Whenever you go plan for rain/sleet. A good camera and a nice pair of binoculars is a must. The “tourist” season is very short but even at peak times it’s nothing like anywhere in the lower 48.

Strigidae and Jeff Randall like this.
  5. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

We were in Denali and area from August 12-22 2019.
    We drove there, came in from Fairbanks left Denali and stayed in Anchorage for a few days. Took the Glacier Boat Tour out of Whittier. Highly recommend.

Weather:
    We had two days of heavy rain in the middle of the visit. Otherwise it was moderate temperatures. No heavy weather gear required. It can change rapidly and be a mixed bag so layering with a stuffable rain coat is a must.

Bugs:
    We had none. Although we brought the head nets.

Things to do:
    You can drive into the National Park 15 miles.
    There are some hikes off that 15 mile in/out.
    Take the bus tour(s). See the Mountain (weather permitting) and critters.
    Fly about if the weather is good and $$ permits.
    Lunch or dinner at the 49th State Brewery. Augtoberfest if the timing is right.
    Good weed locally legal if you are into such.

Camping/Lodging
    With permits you can backpack anywhere in the Park. Bus transport is available in and out.
    National Park Campground(s) but make reservations. It's inexpensive even if you bail.
    There are RV Parks with cabins, cabins, hotels and motels near the Park.
    RV rentals are available in Anchorage.

If you are short on time, forget spending much time in Anchorage.
    Go to the Kenai Peninsula, or Homer or Seward.

Go online. There are many Free tour books.
    https://www.travelalaska.com/Planners/PlannerB1.aspx?utm_content=2005&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc

Denali National Park Website
    https://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm

You can make reservations now at some campgrounds. Others are walk in.
    Two campgrounds - Igloo Creek and Sanctuary River - cannot be reserved in advance, only once you arrive in the park. The other four campgrounds can be reserved in advance.
    • Senior and Access pass holders will receive a discount on nightly campground fees. These passes do not modify bus ticket prices.
    • Most lodging choices (as opposed to campgrounds) are outside of the park. There are no NPS-operated hotels or lodges. We suggest you visit the local Denali Chamber of Commerce's website to research your options.
    • Bus and campground reservations can be made as early as December 1 of the year before you plan to visit (e.g., Dec 1, 2016 for a 2017 visit).
    We stayed at Riley Creek Campground:
    NOTE
    40 percent of Riley Creek will be closed for maintenance Sumer of 2020.
    There will be noise.

Probably better do Savage.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019