Chris - a journey......

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Bushman5, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

old news i know. That dumb-ass had so many options to survive but failed.......

however, i think we criticize and look at people that fail to survive in situations, and judge them too harshly. I just did.....I did when i first read the news , when i read the book, when i saw the movie.....

I find myself often trying to dissect his mental state and mindset every time i read the book or watch the many movies made about him.

I am not educated in psychology/psychiatry or mental health diagnoses, but have worked for 7 years in that field. (prior to trucking)

Inside all of us, is a need to explore, to move on, to see new things, new vistas.......

we are a nomadic people, even now in 2019.

its INSTINCTIVE behavior to want to explore, yet modern life stifles that. Its my opinion that stifling that urge and nomadic life , is causing a lot of issues in people today. Couple in technology.

more as i find time to write about it.

and NO - I'm fine.

(although I have had an urge to wander some time now. But i am not in the state Chris was . So RELAX!)

I have more to write on Chris's state of mind, I think it will be an interesting viewpoint to such a tragedy

a video from his Sister

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    BlueDogScout likes this.
  3. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Member

Nothing to do with the thread , I just wanted to say hey! Been awhile brother. I hope all is going well with you and yours

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

We just had a free solo climber bite the dust in Linville Gorge. Of course everyone is saying he was an idiot but my take on it is this guy died doing what he loved to do. He was very experienced and highly skilled. Stuff happens, regardless if you're roped up or not. People die riding motorcycles. People die in cars. Just because he chose to climb without protective gear doesn't make him any different than the K2 climber that is roped up but facing other sets of dangerous variables, or the skydiver trusting that his chute is not going to tangle or fail to deploy. In the end, it's the life he chose for himself and what he wanted to do. More power to the folks who set off on their own path. Do I feel sorry for them when they die? No. But do I blame them for the path they chose? Not at all.

IW17, Reno Lewis, Bushman5 and 3 others like this.
  5. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

That’s a good outlook. We all gotta pay the reaper sometime, personally I would rather it be while in the woods I love than a hospital or a nursing home

Bushman5, Stormstaff and mtngoat like this.
  6. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Everybody dies, but not everybody truly lives.

IW17 and Bushman5 like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I really like trying to analyze peoples mindsets. WHY did they make a certain decisions (like Chris not smoking all the meat from the moose) instead of letting it rot.........

I just like knowing how people tick.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

slip the bonds of a middle class existence ...... lets talk about that......

a well to do young man.....from a well off family....who feels the need to shed that life..../ why?

why give up life security.....?

again....the urge of man to explore........i get this .....I'm a fricking kid in a candy store when i find old buildings or mines........I have explored every inch of the old ASHLU MINE right here in BC......even the oxygen depleted adits.......(i ran the gauntlet of every adit, knowing i had less than 3 minutes before passing out in the dead air spaces.

I have never felt more alive.

is this what drove Chris to go into Alaska , shed everything, even critical survival gear (firearm) and explore?

the characters of Into The Wild.....discussing Chris....

MORE......

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    BlueDogScout likes this.