Wild Edibles

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Patt Holloman, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Patt Holloman

Patt Holloman Member

2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Good reads there. I eat common weeds all the time, it's a thing that almost everyone can benefit from.

3. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Maybe we can keep this thread near the top and as spring arrives and plants begin to emerge, we could post pictures of what we find and eat going into spring and through to the fall? Maybe?

What would be most useful? Off the top of my head I am thinking a picture of the plant and the portion being eaten. Then maybe a picture or more of the surrounding area where the plant was located. Lastly a brief description or a treatise if you think that is what is needed.

One last idea is if you find animal tracks around it and evidence of the plant being eaten by animals take a picture of the tracks and identify them if you can. That way if you don't want to eat the plant, but would rather trap the animal that feeds on the plant, that would be good information as well.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Trailmaster likes this.
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

This is one of those occasions when I wish I could upload direct from computer. I have several hundred edible plant pics, was at one time using the Internet as a "virtual classroom " for teaching harvesting. Trying to do it now (really lousy internet service!) would be frustrating beyond belief.

inconel710 and Strigidae like this.
  5. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xqOJ8qfJcxQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Stone was kind enough to help me move this photo over here. I'm no expert but I believe Ms Lily's hands are over Shepherds Purse, a rather sweet but hot spice. Can be dried and coarse ground. Behind her on the left, dandelions. A bitter green but super nutritious, roots can be dried and ground for a healthy tea. Further behind those, looks like henbit. Purple color of flowers, small and in the geraniums family I think. Can be dried and used a pot herb, warning tho, needs to be completely dry. No moisture. I'm told that moisture will cause molding and this will mess you up.

Sorry, the pic is not showing up. :( Touch the link and it will take you there though.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  7. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

8. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Thanks ATS, why this tech stuff defeats me I do not know. What I'm not seeing as of yet this year, sheep,sorrel. One of my favorite greens.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  9. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Not a problem. I have my best luck posting pictures from the web by using "img". You start the reference to the picture with the square brackets around the three letters "img" (upper and lower case don't matter). Square brackets look like this: "[]". Put the "img" between the starting one and the ending one. Kind of like parentheses, but squared off.

Next comes the reference to the picture, which, when I am on the PC and not the iPad as I am now, I point to the picture I want and right click. Next choose "Properties" from the drop down and it should show you the reference. If the reference ends in "jpg" or some other other extension that indicates a picture, I highlight the reference and choose "Copy". Close the properties box and then paste the copied text into your post, right after the "img" with the square brackets. Lastly, to let the forum know that you are done with the picture stuff, for this one, at least, type in "/img" surrounded with the square brackets. The slash indicates the end of the picture.

If you hit "Reply" on my post, you should be able to see what the reference looks like.

Note: Sometimes this does not work and you have to futz with it. Sometimes the picture you point to does not come up with a proper reference. I just know that if it is a jpg then it works most of the time.

I have not gone out looking yet. We are in March and it can be 45 and sunny one day and 10 with horizontal snow the next. Lol

10. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I did not take any pictures, but last week I went out with a buddy and harvested some wild leeks. Great flavor. He made his into soup and I used mine with some hot buttered mushrooms (not morels).

11. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I didnt know it but you can eat the center of thistle. It aint bad.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  12. IW17

IW17 Member

13. IW17

IW17 Member

14. IW17

IW17 Member

15. Hammer

Hammer Member

Zeek and IW17 like this.
  16. IW17

IW17 Member

17. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

These are pretty good D12A103E-717A-41D4-BAFE-062AA7C8F45C.jpeg

The Marsh Gorilla and otis like this.
  18. IW17

IW17 Member

First morels of the season

IMG_20190426_180511.jpg
    IMG_20190426_181340.jpg IMG_20190426_213351.jpg

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  19. IW17

IW17 Member

Today's haul

IMG_20190427_170633.jpg

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Hammer like this.
  20. IW17

IW17 Member

Found a nice cluster of oyster mushrooms. This is my third as we split everything evenly amongst ourselves.

IMG_20190512_130746.jpg IMG_20190512_130751.jpg

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.