The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

because its easier to drive your garbage to a logging road and dump it, than it is to sort out the recyclables, take this set of recyclables to one spot, take that set of recyclables to another spot, or pay for disposal. I wont even go into the construction dumping thats plaguing Mission BC right now.......twice in two weekends, some asshole dumped asbestos drywall and garbage (80 yards worth) up a popular shooting area road. (Little Iraq, Sylvester Road)

and over on GILL BAR on the Fraser River...buncha scumbag hippy squatters left 200 cubic yards of garbage, crap (FECAL MATTER) , plastic, containers, and an entire RV trailer. What was interesting was the garbage patterns....it was the same containers as up at the little cabin in the woods in Cheakamus! When they left that cabin in shambles, they moved to Gill Bar on the Fraser River and set up camp. Same handwriting on some of the stuff found. It took volunteers from the 4WD-ABC to clean it up, something like 3 weekends to do.

and people wonder why the backcountry gets gated off and shut down.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I plan to buy a trailer, to haul my camp kitchen in style. I could haul out all the steel and crap, but the prices are horrendous. Not worth it. I'd spend more in time and labour picking it up and driving it to the scrap yard, than I would get in return. Case in point, an entire VEHICLE, only gets you about $150 - 200 MAX.......

3. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I hear your frustration. I make off with aluminum stuff, or anything electrical I can move. I have the place to pile it up until it's a full load and the recycling yard is only a few miles. The fact that every river entry or boat ramp area is covered in trash is disheartening.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Sunday March 26/2017, pouring rain, stuck truck, free tarp, steak & potatoes, bear, BEAR! , killer whales.

Where to start!! ok made a micro grill for Hobo Camp 4, so i could grill a steak today. Didn't even look outside....augh...POURING RAIN. Screw it. I WANT STEAK dammit! Loaded up the Jeep and headed out. Along the way i saw a full sized F150 4x4 in the ditch...the driver had tried to get it into the woods to bypass the gate. Since there was a kid with them, i stopped and asked if everyone was ok. They were. I did attempt (against my better judgment) to drag them out. But that truck was stuck bad and no whay in hell was i fugging up my own 4x4 cuz of his stupidity. So i carried on.

About a mile down the road, spied a tarp in the ditch! of course i had to grab it. And low and behold.,.....it was brand new, about 12x12 , woodland camo pattern! BONUS!

Parked the truck, got into the MultiClown suit and dropped over the ledge. Boy nothing freaks people out more than a full camo person walking beside the highway and suddenly leaping into the woods.....people were slamming their brakes on....LOL.

bundled up the tarp with some paracord.

[​IMG]

I'm in yer woodz, creeping......o_O

[​IMG]

this view never gets old, even when its pissing rain. It had cleared for bit here....but still drizzling.

[​IMG]

first order of business, set up the tarp! strung a paracord mainline and draped the tarp. Used bankline for the rest. Made use of chunks of wood, suspended over a branch and another tree, to keep the "roof" up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hilarity ensued at this point....i tossed the chunk of wood 20 feet out and into the crotch of the tree. I was marveling at my shot, when i noticed the entire spool of bank line whip past my head and fall down the cliff. ****! :mad:. Thank fully I was able to snag it with another piece of bankline i had cut, with a stick with a cut branch tied to it. Spent the next 15 minutes RE-SPOOLING the bankline....:D

[​IMG]

instant water supply. I figure an average of 2 - 3 liters per hour, with all the rain and the water dripping off themassive douglas firs above me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yea its ugly, but i was dry! If i was trying to hide, i would have set up the tarp super low to the ground. But i was not hiding. Sorta.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MORE :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Shelter done, time for fire. It was pissing rain at this point, but i have a few tricks up my sleeve...one is layering cedar greens in the fire lay...they are super flammable even wet. Yea so you get a lot of smoke, I did have a small plane fly by very close to check it out.I waved and the pilot waggled the wings and left.

The M.T.R. firestarter is OUTSTANDING in wet weather....i draped and wrapped the entire fire lay in a long piece, then used the Sam Wilson B.L.A.S.R. to spark it alight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oops bit of smoke...

[​IMG]

the smoke that the small plane checked out. LOL
    [​IMG]

fire going, time to get the grill going!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at this point I added the applewood. Let it burn for a bit to embers...the entire woods smelled like applewood....

[​IMG]

time for STEAK! quick rub of the grill "grate" with olive oil, and time to slap on the slab of pre dry rubbed meat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pulled it off after a bit and let it rest. I also had brought spicy seasoned herb and stuff, spuds and garlic (entire bulb of monster garlic). I cooked this in the main fire, in the SwitchBlade UFO cooker. To use this little UFO cooker, you line it with several layers of foil, add bacon,spuds, whatever and then seal up the foil,close and latch the lid and bury the pot in hot coals. (you want more hot coals on top than on the bottom).I forgot the bacon,but added a big dollop of salted butter.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sealed up and ready for cooking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

after half an hour, i pulled the pot and checked it, then put it back in for a bit.

[​IMG]

shelter and cooking!

[​IMG]

chillin' & grilling

[​IMG]

dry seat

[​IMG]

sawing and splittin' firewood

[​IMG]

eating and view!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BUUUUURP! no cleanup required,no pot washing .

[​IMG]

While i was sitting there eating the last of the spuds....I heard a LOUD "HUUUUFFFFFFF!" behind me, like directly BEHIND ME.! BEAR! grabbed the knife and bear spray and yelled loudly and slapped my hand on the tarp to make noise. Heart fricking pounding, went around the side of the shelter and ...nothing.....I did'nt hear the bear crash thru the dense loud Salal bushes around me in the woods so it has to be still here,like right here....other side of shelter? nope...WTF..... HUUUUUFFFF! again! this time from my right side...did it go down the cliff and was right below me? nope. WTF!

Then i figured it out...the loud HUUUFFF! was not a bear......it was a pod of killer whales below me, breaching the surface and blowing out their vent. It sounded like it was BEHIND me at the shelter, because it echoed off the tarp behind me.

I was relieved. Quite. I watch the Killer whales break surface one more time, blow and then they were gone around the bend into Howe Sound. It was amazing. MASSIVE creatures.

tried to get a photo but got nothing but bubbles as they submerged. ARGH!

[​IMG]

At this point it really started to rain again, and it was late so I packed up and hiked out.

looking back at the shelter

[​IMG]

Interesting fact on Orcas:

"
    If Orca has swam across your path;
    You are being asked to get in touch with your inner self through meditation and soul searching. All the knowledge you require for yourself and for the future is contained within your soul and it’s inner guidance. You must learn to trust your instincts, and allow your personal power to come forth. Going inward at this time is the only way in which you will be able to move forward at this time. You need depth of self understanding along with a clear intention in order to attain your current goal."

Amazing day.

7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Get some! Freakin crazy Canuck! "Get busy livin"...you are the epitomy of thos words brother. :D

8. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Those pics look so much like the terrain around here in Oregon I wouldn't know the difference. Looks exactly like where I go hiking in the Columbia River Gorge. Beautiful, and the food looked great, too. Nicely done.

ETA: Glad to see you using the BLASR! Made to be used, I love it.

Sam

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

another good one Bushy. I heard survival Lilly lost a tarp.:):eek:. Been wondering if you still had that UFO cooker.

The Marsh Gorilla, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yea that lil ufo cooker ain't ever for sale. Its handmade, works incredibly well and is just unique. I want my ashes in it when i pass this mortal coil.....

I do believe that @Switchblade knows the maker personally, if anyone was interested in a buy....however due to the time it takes to hand make these, the country of origin, payment would most likely have to be up front and in full, with a wait list of several months. Its just the way it is. Switchblade has both this size and a larger one (i think?) :)

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Member

And the saga continues... Nicely done Bushy!
    Lucky day for you. The tarp, no bear, orcas... should have bought some lottery tickets... ;)
    I'm glad to see the little UFO in action again :)
    It's definitely a good and unique piece of equipment.
    It works best in hot ashes, lined with bacon slices (top and bottom), but of course there are other ways as well.

12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

April 1st 2017, stiff breeze, sunny & cloudy. "Hobo Camp 4 check-up, Mosquito Load Bearing System shakedown, Walk-About, Raven and Chickadees"

Loaded out the new load bearing system and hit the highway. Stopped by Lions Bay General Store to fuel up on food. Its pricey , but i don't mind, I like the people, great food in the little cafe, and they always bring in real British candy. They also just renovated and are now licensed to sell cold beer and wine. I loaded up on swiss cheese, hungarian salami, healthy fiber crackers, Snickers Bar and Eat More bar, and added a liter bottle of locally brewed red ale for after the days outing. Highly recomend that anyone traveling in BC , along the Sea To Sky (Hwy99) towards Squamish / Whistler/ Pemberton and beyond, stop by the little general store and cafe and have a bite to eat.

Parked the rig, MultiClown suit on , new load bearing system on, and dropped into the sunny breezy woods.

[​IMG]

sitting a bit LOW on my frame, stopped to adjust the two rear straps to elevate the load bearing system up into the small of my back.

[​IMG]

I See Shelter....

[​IMG]

Got down to the shelter, was surprised to see all the guy lines intact and the tarp still taut. Since my last trip here, we had high winds and HEAVY TORRENTIAL rain in this area. I fully expected the shelter to be in tatters. What I found though was DRY GROUND under the tarp, and no issues with the rigging bankline.

dropped the rig and got to work, sawing and splitting firewood. Stacked a bunch for future emergency use and got the fire going with the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

two beeswax soaked fire tinders , a couple of thin sticks of fatwood and a stiff breeze got the fire going quick. Fired it up with the Sam Wilson B.L.A.S.R. You'll notice a theme in ALL my gear packing ....heavy duty freezer bags. Multi purpose, but mostly to keep my load out DRY. I do live on the WET COAST.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fire going, I sat down to eat and do nothing but enjoy the silence, the sun, the air, the breeze. I was really hoping to see the Orcas again.

[​IMG]

ate like 15 of these.....:D

[​IMG]

made a Swagger stick

[​IMG]

check that 6 patina, nothing but heavy usage and put away wet. Dried off and waxed
    [​IMG]

more

13. Zeek

Zeek Member

That 6 is the sh!t !!! I'm gonna get one for my B'day

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Mosquito Load Bearing System review, adjustments, loadout

front view, 6 & Izula2, Bear Spray, flashlight, firewood stash in background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

knife and woods/survival gear right side.

[​IMG]

woods kit: TP, compass, Storm Whistle, German Army SAK, SAM WILSON B.L.A.S.R. firesteel and beeswax dental cottons, SAM WILSON Matchcase, converted with rubber washers to hold 2 x CR123's , Fenix headlamp, pair of wool gloves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

paracord and gloves

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

canteen kit, energy/fat/sugar dense candy, veg broth cubes, and three instant oatmeals, GI cup and canteen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more

15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

with the sun about to dip behind the massive mountains, and the stiff breeze increasing, I loaded up and did a quick walkabout in the area, to explore.

[​IMG]

big mountain cat perch.

[​IMG]

lots of windstorm blowdown

[​IMG]

old old logging road from a century plus ago.

[​IMG]

most of these are infested with grubs and beetles and rotted out

[​IMG]

WoodPecker is full....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

water seep near camp

[​IMG]

the area is full of salal shrubs.

[​IMG]

massive old douglas fir stump

[​IMG]

end of the trail, still about 700 feet about the ocean .

[​IMG]

I used the Esee 6 to dig for grubs. Didn't find any.

[​IMG]

Wind packs a punch

[​IMG]

vertical, horizontal and there is always one arsehole that has to wreck it.....:D

[​IMG]

some parting shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

walking out

[​IMG]

swagger stick and knife pron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

funky tree

[​IMG]

FIN

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Se7eN, jdh, The Marsh Gorilla and 9 others like this.
  17. Switchblade

Switchblade Member

Nice trip report. Beautiful views from your perch there.
    (Are you willing to part with one of your Izula(II)...? ;)

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

nope. Both were gifts. :) the stripped / etched one is from the Grumpy Crab. :)

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Sunday April 2nd, sunny, "Squamish Drive, Jeep firewood restock"

Headed back up to Squamish BC, to go for a hike in the sun. Before leaving Vancouver i picked up a HSGI TACO pistol mag pouch and a HSGI "soft" TACO pouch for my magnum can of bear spray, from Martin and the AWESOME CREW @ DS TACTICAL in New West BC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to Squamish and toodled down a FSR. Was feeling odd, like afflicted with something, almost like a @Mountainmistwanderer lethargy........yea thats it...i was feeling lazy! didn't feel like hiking (ok i kinda did but there was so many (thousands) of trails to choose from , that I just decided to re-stock the Jeep firewood supply instead). (I keep two nights worth of dried firewood in the jeep, in case of emergencies or a spontaneous camping trip.)

Found some silver maple and alder....the alder is the orange wood,it turns orange pretty much instantly upon cutting. BOTH share the same bark, bark pattern and wood composition . Both burn HOT. The alder is KICK ASS for searing steak over (directly on the hot coals, caveman style) , or smoking meat or adding great flavour to your meals)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll leave these in the Jeep.....they will bake dry during the day (sitting in the hot sun) and whenever I turn on the air con it will suck out more moisture from the wood. Takes less than a week to lose 90% moisture.

Headed up the Stawamus/Indian FSR, its steep. Bridge out at the 10 KM mark. GREAT VIEWS.....I'll just leave the views here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

you guys have no idea how BIG our province is......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FIN

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.