The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switchblade

Switchblade Member

Where can one buy that Wet Fire Tinder substitute...?

I love that old style can opening "system" on that corned beef. Similar old style canned sardines are even better, you start rolling in a corner.

[​IMG]

Bushman5 likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ Hey SwitchBlade!

camping section of canadian tire or in the grocery stores near the BBQ supplies.

if you can find a box that hasn't been dropped or crushed, the little bricks inside can be carefully cut apart with a razor, and then vacuum sealed (mylar bags) would be best...

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Sunday Feb 19 2017 - raining - Strange Happening Redux >>> Burnt out stolen vehicle #1, stolen commercial truck #2, stolen pickup truck #3, my sixth sense tingly , scumbags still on site, RCMP, and a great fatwood bonfire......

soundtrack for the day:
    WE ARE HERE TO DRINK YOUR BEER!

Bought my new SILKY BIG BOY 2000 FOLDING SAW around noon today, then rushed off to go build a shelter with it. Pissing rain out! awesome! got to the trailhead and as i was driving up the offramp, i happened to look left and see something across the highway, in an area that is notorious for illegal dumping.....

turned the jeep around and drove into the clearing.....and saw this......an obviously stolen vehicle , up on cinderblocks, and torched completely. Trunk lid was secured solid. I wasn't about to open it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ thought about snagging that brand new muffler...it seemed to have escaped the inferno....:D

stolen bike stripped of most of its parts

[​IMG]

While i was looking at the burnt out wreck, I happened to glance left.....i know this area like the back of my hand......i noticed a lot of muddy tire tracks, leading into the woods.

[​IMG]

Well looky here...someone made a new road and dumped a fricking 5 ton HINO commercial truck.

[​IMG]

garbage everywhere

[​IMG]

thats not a construction road........(area owned by Concorde Pacific Developments) - not due to be developed for at least 5 years plus.....someone made an effort to make a road INTO the unseen part of this forest, and attempted to drive the stolen HINO 5 ton into the woods. OOPS...its kinda muddy and deep here guys...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that HINO is buried past its driveshafts and axles,almost 2 feet deep

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I walked around the Hino, noting the roll up door on the rear was STILL SECURED. Other clues started emerging....food packets, (BULK) scattered about, so im thinking the truck is a wholesale food delivery truck. I could be wrong<<< it DID have placard holders on it......

while i took a picture of the front of HINO and the interior, my sixth sense, gut feeling , kicked in. Hairs on my body stood up and I became hyper alert. I'm not alone , despite today being a solo trip.

[​IMG]

hmmm...i should have snagged some diesel. Over 300 liters......;) but i did not.
    [​IMG]

yours truly.......lots of stuff in the interior......
    [​IMG]

I had the gut instinct while taking that picture.......and then out of the corner of my eye i caught swift movement,not a bird or animal. Human ducking down and moving. I spied a full sized pickup FURTHER down the muddy trench road, door open. Its obvious to me the pickup was the first vehicle they took into the woods, followed by the HINO and last the torched car.

pickup 150 feet deeper into the woods. Thats where i spotted human movement

[​IMG]

I moved fast, immediate cover by the cab of the HINO, and i backed up and retreated towards the rear of the HINO and then up the muddy road. Back into the Jeep and I was gone. With a lot of photgraphs.

Headed to the next town and visited the RCMP detachment. Office not open on Sundays, but there is a "RED PHONE" box by the door, takes you straight to RCMP dispatch.

told the officer what i found, that i had lots of photos, and that the area was possibly still occupied by someone or several people.

They are looking into it, its a hell of a find in the woods. Over $150,000 plus in stolen vehicles.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    jdh, The Marsh Gorilla, cad and 8 others like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

After filing the report with the RCMP, I carried on to a new location......my gut instinct told me NOT A GOOD IDEA to leave my JEEP near the stolen vehicle dump site.......

Chose a new location, was surprised to find the BC HYDRO gate locked OPEN, so i left a dated and time info note on the lock, AM INSIDE, JEEP, DUE BACK 4 HOURS etc etc , so i wouldn't get locked in.

locked in 4WD part time, going up the road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

decided to leave my JEEP back beside the highway, in plain view of a gazzilion motorists, rather than parking it hidden in the woods and risking something happening to it.

Hiked in on foot , with my Mikea Made multicam pack, loaded to the ti*s with gear and a spanking brand new Silky Saw.

The Power Sentinels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

great misty foggy view

[​IMG]

on and up, I had planned to hit the forest on the LEFT of the Hydro right of way, but a Raven pair croaked and squawked furiously every time i tried to enter that side of the forest. Its not their nest in there.....i think they were warning me for some reason (more in a bit on this)

I carried on to the right hand side of the right of way, the two ravens settled down and became chatty and croaky.

[​IMG]

I soon figured out why they were telling me to not go to the left.....a small brown bear out of hibernation (WAY TOO EARLY) poked his head out of forest on the left side of the Hydro right of way and then wandered back into the woods. That was a powerful series of events for me, not going to forget that ever. (not sure if ya'll remember when I had to put down my huge BushCat a few years back......several months later I had a vivid dream and saw him, purring, and he turned into a Coopers Hawk. Ever since then I run into him everywhere, flying or resting on a tree or power pole. Raven is Brother and Sister to Hawk, so i'm not surprised Raven warned me today. My spirit animals.

I carried on the right side of the clearing, and found a spot to build a fire. It took me seconds to pick this spot because i spied about 700lbs of fatwood.

Enter the Silky Ninja! cue the DIE ANTWOORD!

put the ruck down and got the new SILKY BIG BOY 2000 saw and the Reno Lewis Esee 6 dirty in a hurry

[​IMG]

arm thick fire dynamite

[​IMG]

30 lbs later

[​IMG]

used the ZIP cubes i had foil packed last night and we have "fire in the hole! "

[​IMG]

FU2TheBForums fatwood eco nazzzzzis....I BURNT IT ALL! 100 lbs of fatwood....stick that in your B/F pipe and suck it!

thats approx 700 LBs of fatwood lying on the ground. I barely dented it and i harvested 100lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

FIRE! one big 100% fatwood BONFIRE. Outdoor Central Heating....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

steam billowing off my rain and brush soaked pants

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the trees filtered the smoke nicely......it blended in with the mists....

[​IMG]

after an hour of global warming, I got hungry. Spicy sardines and Thai Chili Tuna

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

rolling mist on and off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

made a @Stone Stick, to bop Mr Cougar or Mr Bear on the snout........Miss Survival Lilly would be proud of me......i walked the FSR calling out to Bear....here bear, here bear, hello cougar, hello cougar!

[​IMG]

puttered about the hot fire for a while, thinking. The Woods and getting some Woods Time in are a MAJOR relaxer for me...I like to focus on the earth and woods and animals around me.

walking out: "here I go again on my own , down this lonely FSR alone, guided by Raven and Hawk, guarded by Junglas and Six, on my own again, walking to the beat, techno techno beat , of a different drum........"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walked out and worked the 2.8 liter (5.6Liter under 20lbs turbo boost) diesel hard back to the sh(c)ity . Grabbed some local brews on the way in and cranked the speakers up......this too settles me....

DJ WINTERMUTE is always a favorite here

local brews FUGGLES & WARLOCK "ICARUS" mosiac saison, and Spinnakers CASCADIA DARK ALE

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Sent my buddy up to the campfire location, he wanted a few slabs or twenty of fatwood for his trailer lot fire pit , for firestarting. He called me this afternoon and said there was a hard puddle of at least 5lbs of pine tar where the fire was. He scooped it up and is going to melt and filter the sand and ash out of it and then pour it into a coffee can.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  8. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Wood coffee.:) you liking that new saw?

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

its nice. I honestly prefer a more rigid saw, like my old arborist handsaw (FANNO)

I abused the crap out of that saw and came back for more. However I prefer the SILKY teeth pattern.

Its (SILKY) a good size for the pack. , I would NOT want a smaller saw.......

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. Neilsen

Neilsen Member

I've been eyeing that Fanno for a while now. I know a few guys that have them as saddle saws.

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. Panzer

Panzer Member

Careful with them silkys they snap if not used properly. But they cut like lasers. Freaking lasers!

Bushman5 likes this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Feb 25 / 2017 - Return To The Scene Of The Crime, Dakota Fire Hole Fire, Spetznas Shovel

Soundtrack for today's adventures - DISTURBED - SOUND OF SILENCE,one of my favorite songs.

Returned to the area where i found the stolen pickup, commerical truck and burnt out car. Car was still there, did not see the Hino or the pickup form where I was on the highway. Hopefully the RCMP investigated.

Lots of care and trucks in the upper parking lot so I took a chance and parked the Jeep in plain view of the highway. Shut off the fuel flow and disabled the starter.

hit the woods , it was clear and COLD today...should have worn a jacket over my surplus british army wool sweater. Oh well.

found a picked clean rib cage and spine. Wasn't there last time. Hope it was a hunter tossing the bones and not a bear nearby. This thing was picked clean and then some. Whats interesting is two years ago there was a picked clean spine and ribs skeleton here , a few feet further south. It too had been picked , almost boiled clean. Remnants of the first one are still here, if you look carefully.

[​IMG]

gear shot - BushPack, CS Spetznas shovel, Esee Junglas, O.L.D. (Onboard Line Dispenser), Petzl gloves, and a crap ton of gear inside the pack

[​IMG]

I had brought my Dakota Fire Hole tin cans to set up at the Hobo Camp. Decided digging in the boulder strewn forest was too much effort, so i re-purposed the fire pit. Scraped it clean with the shovel and got to work setting up the Dakota Fire Hole

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

backfilled and built up the stones around the setup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not done yet with the stone work but started a burn with the ZIP firestarters.

[​IMG]

covered the intake vent can hole with a large flat slab, with a 4" gap under the rock to the hole. Its a great spot to pile up the splits to dry them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more

13. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

That's a badass little cooker!

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

works pretty good, considering the wood is damp......even the split stuff

[​IMG]

bit of smoke at first,but it was no where near the amount of smoke from the old fire pit.

[​IMG]

once going you could barely tell a fire was there..(ok i know the Dakota Fire Hole is supposed to be in the ground but it was too hellish digging into rock...)

[​IMG]

further away you can barely tell there is anything there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can build it up like a regular fire if stealth is not a concern. Here i'm heating water with a bouillon cube in it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mmmm hot and tasty!

[​IMG]

Silky saw and Esee 6 processing silver maple

[​IMG]

the fire was a bed of hot coals , so i used the radiant upward flowing heat to rapidly dry the splits, baked them dry so to speak

[​IMG]

hot enough to cook over, not so much radiant heat at all. Brrr........In a vented teepee this would rock though......

[​IMG]

lunch - alder and maple smoked Hungarian Salami that I trapped at the local store

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burned out the fire, stacked the splits over the Dakota Fire Hole can to dry from the radiant heat in the stones and covered it with a slab of bark to keep the rain off.

Thoughts: lots of work feeding the Dakota Fire Hole style fire. Not a set & forget fire. Lots of effort splitting wood splits to keep a steady fire going. Works great though for a brew up or cook out. Hot enough to sear if you had a pan over it.

definitely the bees knees, cats ass for stealth camping......Hardly any smoke on startup, none during the fire duration. Less fire smoke smell around the area. Would be no smoke what so ever with bone dry wood. Might build another one for the Lytton area....sun and high temp heat baked bone dry wood there all year.

thats it.

15. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

No beer, no survival Lil. good post Bushy. always like your pictures and post. Thanks
    for bringing us along.

16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I wish I could have a beer with Miss Survival Lilly!

looks like she is back up and running again.....wrist ok ...

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  17. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

10-4 I am with ya on that.:)

Bushman5 likes this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Im thinking a 10 gal steel pail , with a 6" air tube, for a bigger version of this proven concept...

going back very soon. Want to harvest the spinal column and rib cage bones and thread them off my pack. Mad Max / Cannibal style. :D

19. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Mar 4 / 2017, sunny, clear, 5 - 7 deg Celsius - Choose Your Own Adventure Day:

- Hike locally on the North Shore
    - Organize the house and make space
    - Go harvest fatwood firestarter for @ManOfSteel
    - Work on the Jeep,and the Tracker

You Have Chosen: > firestarter gathering for MOS

Soundtrack for today : LAZERHAWK Skull and Shark

So, nice sunny day here, colder near the mountains and snowing in parts. The HighWay Thru Hell past HOPE BC has a base of 10+ feet of snow and is shut down due to avalanches.

I drove up the Sea To Sky Hwy, to Squamish.....about 0 degrees Celsius, stiff breeze, and fresh snow fairly low down the mountains.

The Goal was to harvest a pile of fatwood to take home and dry out and ship to @ManOfSteel , who offered to pay full shipping costs or buy stuff for me. I accepted the mission.

Got to Squamish, and made a sammich instead. :D locally made bread, aged cheddar and smoked ham. Thats OVER 1/4" thick slabs of cheese and about 1/4" layer of ham. Forgot the mustard...oops.

it was delicious.

[​IMG]

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.