Vehicles on your list...

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by C99c, May 17, 2020.

1. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I had planned to get rid of my camper, then drive the truck a few years to see how the Bronco shakes, give the Tacomas a few more years to develop this generation, and just explore options in general. We'll see if my decision window is narrowed significantly.

C99c and IW17 like this.
  2. C99c

C99c Member

Do you think that Toyota is going to make drive train changes to the Tacoma at the same time as the 6th Gen 4runner debuts?
    Say the current V6, possibly with a few changes, mated to an 8 or 10 speed trans?

It would make sense seeing as how they are going all V6s in the Tundra and LCs soon and it would probably solve most of the complaints with the current engine/trans situation.

3. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I hope they do something. The latest generation of Tacos are great trucks, but they're quickly getting outpaced by other brands in terms of innovation. Even the mid generation update was kind of lackluster. Toyota is moving around some production sites for different models so I hope they take this opportunity to work on a few things. Cough, cough, drum brakes...

Now, I know this will never happen, but I'd love to see the 3.3 turbo diesel that's going into the Cruisers in a Taco.

C99c likes this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

Honestly, I wish manufacturers would just accept that other than HD trucks and the rare exception (the Gladiator with diesel may be one of these. It'll be interested to see the take rates on gas vs. diesel on them in a few years) diesel is all but dead for the time being in the US and move on to other stuff.

People used to like diesel because they were simple, gave good MPGs and lasted a long time. Newer diesels are far from simple and our emissions rules seriously cut in to their efficiency. If one doesn't need 1K ft lbs of torque then there's not a lot of reason to pay the extra upfront cost and added maintenance expense.

Everyone I know who bought a Ram 1/2 ton with the diesel has either swapped to gas or moved up to a 3/4 ton. GM is killing the diesel Colorado and Nissan it's diesel Titan. People just aren't buying them.

As I mentioned above, the Gladiator with diesel will be an interesting case to watch, along with the diesel JL.
    As much as we poke fun at Jeep, if the take rate for diesels are high enough it may force other companies, like Toyota, to reconsider the idea of offering the option here.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    R Stowe likes this.
  5. oconnor

oconnor Member

4-wheels: Air-cooled 911
    2-Wheels: Mid-70s BMW R90S