Overland free for all thread

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Strigidae, Sep 3, 2017.

1. ASH

ASH Member

I use one all of the time on the farm. I call it a Shaker hose.

2. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

I have a simple siphon hose I keep in my truck. About 6' clear hose with copper end containing a marble, insert copper end into fuel container and shake until fuel flows. No more bad after taste:D

Strigidae likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Yep I keep one in the crate in the back of my truck, I do still tend to fill with cans using the spout (when you have the upper body strength of Thor, as I do, this is not a challenge), it's useful however if you need to "source fuel" from other fixed vessels....come the Zombie Apocalypse it will be much more difficult to find a nice lemon mouth rinse to get the taste of diesel out of my teeth.... ;)

STPNWLF likes this.
  4. ASH

ASH Member

My old boss used to call it the credit card. I like it a lot better than using the spout on today's crappy gas cans.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Looking at fire extinguisher mounts. Seems like wits end is the best for my application but i wan to review jegs and summit to see if i can find something else.

EDIT: Wife said no to anything under or near the seat. She thinks itll suck. Shes the boss of me so i think it sucks.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Benson X likes this.
  6. Chuy

Chuy Member

Thats probably one of the best most stable mounts, I had one in my Land Cruiser. Only advice I can give is get the largest extinguisher you can fit. They make entire systems that you can mount outside the cab and run small hoses inside.

7. Strigidae

Anyone have an opinion on bilstein 6112s up front lifted to 2' and 5160s in the rear with an ome medium spring 3" lift on a 4runner?

8. Benson X

Benson X Member

I made a set of mounts for my Hi-Lift, Shovel, Axe, Hatchet, Flashlight and Fire Extinguisher. Simple enough design, and cheap to boot! Maybe you can do something similar to your Runner?
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/diy-hi-lift-and-tool-mounts.260147/#post-6338651
    [​IMG]

Datilite, STPNWLF and Strigidae like this.
  9. Strigidae

That looks amazing!!! Yes im in the planning stage of where to put it and how. It is infinitely more fun to make it happen yourself.

Benson X likes this.
  10. Benson X

Benson X Member

Let me know if you need any ideas - I love DIY mods like that. I did those almost 5 years ago and they're still holding tight. It was less than $70 for all the materials, hardware, and QuickFists.

Strigidae likes this.
  11. Strigidae

I will for sure. The diy aspect is my favorite part of all this.

12. Chuy

Chuy Member

Depends what your looking for in stance with that lift you will have some stink bug. Are you planning to run any armor, sliders, skids, bumpers, winch, etc.? Old Man Eme (OME) makes excellent products but where they really shine is when they are valved and setup for your vehicle and weight application spring & shock. Lots of other great companies that have lifts based on vehicle weight, IronMan, Toyotec. I have really grown to like the adjustable kits. That was you can get the vehicle just right without any side lean. One thing I also like about OME is that there setups have a driver side and passenger side designator. Most of the other kits I have seen do not.

13. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

14. Strigidae

Full skids minus the gas tank, sliders, low profile bumper, winch, full roof rack and swing away rear when the time is right.

15. Chuy

Chuy Member

Looks like you are planning to run full kit, I would go OME for sure. The 889's in the rear (medium) load should be fine. The rear is easy to plus up with a small .5 or 1" donut spacer if needed. If you tow just once in a while air bags are also an inexpensive addition still giving you a great ride the other days of the year. Going with a full kit valved for your vehicle is what gives you that smooth pillowy ride off road.

Strigidae likes this.
  16. ASH

ASH Member

For off the shelf parts on a daily driver it is hard to beat Bilstein, I am sure a custom setup like Chuy suggest is better though.

Strigidae likes this.
  17. Strigidae

Any suggestions for a battery to run a winch and ham radio?

18. Chuy

Chuy Member

I will start off by saying all batteries can or will be killed eventually, the most resilient are the deep cycle style and closed AGM. With the higher CCA you can really notice it when starting the vehicle in any condition. Here in AZ normal batteries don't seem to last long with the heat and gassing out. Maybe 1-2 years for the regular style.

The best are supposed to by the Odysseys, they are rated at full load on the side connections. The bad part is they are the most expensive and if you ever wanted to warranty them out dealers are far and few between.

The 2nd many consider the best are the Sears Marine Die Hards, great battery decent price but for me Sears are becoming rare like K-Marts. I have swapped several under their warranty. These are great and perfectly square so its easier to fit more battery in small areas. Especially when running a dual battery setup. They usually make you drop it off so they can do a full test before they will swap it.

My favorite are the Optima Yellow tops. I have been running the red tops since 2000, and switched over to the deep cycle yellows around 2007. The yellow tops have been the best for me, they have also come way down in price and can be found at any automotive store. The only con is the off-set 6 pack style cells that can make them difficult to mount in some boxes when running a larger than factory battery.

My 2nd favorite are these new budget AGM batteries that Oreilys and AutoZone sell. They have been great and performing well, similar to the benefits of the red top. Excellent warranty on them.

19. Strigidae

Ive looked at a couple of those brands. The yellow top seems to run low on the cca for my vehicle (620). I was leaning to the odyssey as it was a little cheaper too.

20. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Optimas are great batteries. I ran one for a few years.

Strigidae likes this.