Introducing...The Libertariat

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Mike will love to hear the story

2. Zeek

Zeek Member

Pics ? :D

3. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

64147921-4959-4B42-9DF5-0A4730A8455B.jpeg

It will cut.

Kona9, Zeek, Moonpie and 2 others like this.
  4. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

5. JAD

JAD Member

I just got back from the weekend on my farm where I enjoyed my "maiden voyage" deer hunt. I didn't get a deer but other members of my party did, so I experienced some noteworthy things for the first time. But I digress, for I did find time to exercise the Libertariat for a couple of hours each afternoon and I used it exactly as I intended to when I made the purchase.

I was looking to replace my Tramontina 14" Bolo machete with a smaller package.

Side by side: [​IMG]

The primary use would be the light trail maintenance associated with keeping trail paths open during the growing months of Apr-Aug. This involves selective cutting/trimming of encroaching vegetation that could range from leafy vines to fallen branches, starting at ground level all the way to keeping overhead clearance for running UTVs like our Kawasaki Mule.

[​IMG]

This was a nickel sized offending branch on a cedar tree. In my opinion, I feel that machetes do not chop so much as slice vegetation of this size. This was a three stroke cut, starting with a glancing slice along the branch and into the trunk, followed by a second such strike. Finally an overhand downward chop that left what you see above. With a short and efficient arc this sequence of three strokes takes less time than typing this sentence. Would a hand hatchet or small axe have been faster and probably of a single strike? Of course, but the axe would grow tiresome over a long afternoon of performing this task over and over again (and it won't cut grasses and vines a lick).

Of course it finds use for processing firewood as well. The Libertariat's more substantial (i.e. thicker) blade excels over the machete at this task. And this is something that I do a fair amount of. I most frequently "baton" my kindling for making our pit fires. And we make a fire every single time we are out on our farm.

This was some freshly cut wood of unknown variety that had a very tight grain. It did not want to split. But the Libertariat was up to the beat down it took to get to the bottom of the chore.

[​IMG]

I finished the task and used the kindling to make the evening fire later that night. Before concluding though, I used the sharpened spine to shave the small pile of firestarter in the center of the trunk. Yes it can shave.

[​IMG]

Needless to say it will also throw an array of sparks off a ferro rod. I did not use the circular spoke shave hole.

I belt carried the knife throughout both afternoons while walking and riding the farm. I found its size lent itself to the on/off swingover of mounting an ATV without getting in the way. In other words it hangs lightly and swings easily during active chores without reminding you it is there.

While walking the creek bank I found this old skull and brought it back with me. The Libertariat looked good next to it, sitting on someone's blaze vest I found on the porch.

[​IMG]

Coyote? No one seemed sure. But the teeth were still damn sharp to run a finger over.

Summarizing I would highlight the following points. This is a multi-purpose cutting tool. Lots of blades make that claim. But the size of this blade (length, weight, and thickness) allow it to punch up in class for occasional heavier chopping tasks, or drop down in size for more nuanced work like food prep without pushing its ability to accomplish it. In the middle it will handle most every type of trail maintenance that I would ask of it. It is also a great multi purpose fire and wood processing tool on the scale that a camper, backpacker, or outdoorsman might seek. It certainly offers a one blade solution for many outside endeavors. Finally, the Libertariat offers me a much safer alternative to my 14 inch Bolo machete (which I really like). I'm safely proficient with my Bolo but it worries me no end with its greater length. I find the more diminutive Libertariat to give me less worry in hand.

6. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Was that wood "light" or fragrant? The color and the bark look like sassafras to me?

Zeek likes this.
  7. Expat

I've never seen so many people actually using a blade on this forum. Great pics, everyone!

8. JAD

JAD Member

Neither, that I recall. But I'll check the next time I'm there.

Bushman5 likes this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Good Stuff Jad! great pics. I bet that tight grained wood would be ideal for a hiking staff, if one was to split away the outer log and shave it down to the right thickness.

Zeitgeist likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

is the sheath 100% canvas? in other words, could one soak it in hot beeswax and push the Lib in all the way and let the sheath harden into shape? (wet forming or hot wax forming)

Zeitgeist, Zeek and Delkancott like this.
  11. Expat

I think that would work.

Bushman5 likes this.
  12. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Definitely not coyote skull, some kind of herbavore by the look of the teeth. Nice review of the Libertariat.

Zeitgeist and Zeek like this.
  13. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

It's because I stopped posting threads. :D

Zeitgeist likes this.
  14. JAD

JAD Member

I had someone come forward on the skull who said it is from a whitetail doe. He said the ridges on their teeth are sharper when young and then smooth out with age. He said it is one of the ways they "age deer".

Zeitgeist, Byrdman and STPNWLF like this.
  15. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Correct

Zeitgeist, Byrdman and JAD like this.
  16. Byrdman

Byrdman Member

If there was a bevel at the tip it would be even more awesome. Kinda like the aforementioned USAF survival machetes. I've been wanting to buy a machete and do that to the tip, but this definitely would save this newb some work.

anrkst6973 likes this.
  17. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I may knock the shoulders down on the bevel. Makes it hard to cut potatoes. Sentiments on convexing a blade that long?

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  18. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

Should be fine.

Delkancott likes this.
  19. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Member

I'd say you nailed it. My only mod to this will be to add a lanyard. I'm looking forward to swinging it. Mine just arrived today. Also in the mail, a couple GORUCK Klean Kanteen pints. Coincidence?

I think I will keep an eye out for a suitable leather sheath. It has a vintage butcher blade feel to it that would seem more at home in some hide. I understand the current sheath for cost effectiveness and whatnot. This may see a bit of kitchen duty too....

anrkst6973 likes this.
  20. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

I need another machete like I need another hole in the heado_O but I'll get a Libertariat eventually anyway:D
    Edit and a Baryonx machete as well:D
    Can never have to many machetes.

Delkancott and FortyTwoBlades like this.