DAILY EDC POUCH OPTION: TRIPLE AUGHT DESIGN OP1

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by GaryMc, Sep 21, 2016.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

My daily EDC bag & setup:

Starts with a Triple Aught Design OP1 (modified) bag which goes everywhere with me. I either just carry it or it rides in one of 3 others larger bags I'll preview later, they include a Combat Flip Flops Claymore Bag, a Kelty Velocity backpack, or a Triple Aught Design FastPack EDC. If I leave the house one of these usually accompanies me except on maybe quick trips to the store. The OP1 allows me to carry everything I EDC & might need daily in one compact little bag except a pistol. It gets loaded nightly and is ready to go for any adventure or misadventure at a moments notice.

Here's today load out.

[​IMG]

On the right side I carry Dermatone Lip Balm, nail clippers, a Leatherman Style CS for the scissors, Uncle Ben's Sliver Gripper tweezers, toe nail clipper, Leatherman WAVE bit set, and a Triple Aught Design titatium skeleton key that sometimes ends up in my pocket.

[​IMG]

In the right inside zippered pocket I carry 2 Shout wipes for getting stains out of clothing, 2 hand wipes, a limited assortment of first aid items, and an array of sewing needles (plain needle, sail needle, curved mattress needle, carpet needle, upholstery pin, and glovers needle) to sew up pretty much anything and they take up very little space. Not shown in with the needles is an assortment of various colors sewing thread in 20" lengths and 2 large safety pins.

[​IMG]

In the outside Velcro closure pocket I keep my lighter, usually a ZIPPO with Thunderbird Vector butane insert & my cigar cutter, usually a Xikar Xi3 stainless.

[​IMG]

In the outer Velcro closure pocket I keep 3-4 things, my wallet, my keys, a second SAC, and sometimes a second smaller flashlight whichever one I'm choosing to carry for the day in both the latter items. TAD did a terrible design on this pocket in my opinion, they divided this compartment into 3 almost unusable pockets with two sewed seams in the center. With their design you can get maybe a couple of credit cards and a small Fisher Space pen to fit. By removing the 2 center seams dividing the compartment into three sections, you get one really open compartment that can carry a lot as seen here. To me this is a great modification to what is otherwise a terrific design. You can still see where the seams were in the photo. These items always get moved to my pockets for the day.

[​IMG]

On the left side I carry a Leatherman bit extender, a Leatherman WAVE, an ALOX Harvester, a titatium skeleton tool, A Suunto Clipper watch compass, a PNY 32 GB flash drive, my large tactical folder (changes regularly), and a 2 cell CR123 flashlight in this case a Lenslight KO TAD edition. The large tactical folder always gets moved to my pocket. Sometimes this light and also sometimes the WAVE end up in my pocket otherwise they stay in the bag. I always carry a larger light here even though I might put a smaller one in my pocket for the day.

[​IMG]

In the open pocket on the left side I keep two small notebooks, one personal, one for work. I also always keep 2-3 pens & usually a Sharpie which is missing here for some reason. Hmmmmmmmm... The notebooks vary, Rite in the Rain here but I love Moleskine & Field Notes. These were free so they are getting used.

[​IMG]

I know everyone has different systems but this has worked for me. I've tried other small bags from Maxpedition & Vanquest but always come back to this set up as it's small enough to fit in anything but covers all my daily essentials. In an emergency I can grab it & my phone, glasses, and watch and go in a hurry. In the mornings, I do the same, and I'm not disturbing my wife by loading my pockets up in the bedroom. I do that later.

[​IMG]

Anyway I'm prepared for emergencies, the daily grind, or that next great adventure with this set up. Now just need to get on those adventures more.........

Dagwood, JKPirate08, R Stowe and 3 others like this.
  2. Outlander

Outlander Member

Looks great! I have a lot of Maxpedition pouches and recently found Vanquest and have one of those as well. I love them all......May have to check this one out as well. I like the layout.

GaryMc likes this.
  3. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Outlander I use the Maxpedition & Vanquest too, keep a spare more woodsy survival kit in one in the car and then have other individual setups like for electronics cables, batteries, etc. They are all great for organizing, just found this one best for me for EDC, but nothing wrong with the others, I actually used them for EDC first.

Outlander likes this.
  4. Outlander

Outlander Member

Yeah...I use those pouches for carrying spare batteries, power banks, cables, etc. They work great. Keep one in the vehicle for hygiene products in case I need to freshen up(deodorant, mouthwash, tooth brush) before going to meet a client unexpectedly .

Just looked at TAD website and see that all the have left is the black multicam. I think I would like the brown or all black.

Do they get restocked fairly regularly?

5. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Outlander yes TADs a little flaky on most products, they come in and sell out superfast and many things are one time items only. But the OP1s and packs do get restocked fairly often. I look at their website several times a week plus get their newsletter so I'll try to keep a lookout for those colors and let you know if I see them in stock.

Outlander likes this.
  6. Outlander

Outlander Member

That would be great. Thanks!

GaryMc likes this.
  7. Theo

Theo Member

Very well thought out!

GaryMc likes this.
  8. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Theo Thank you Sir & thanks for taking the time to read it. Gary

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

This and your other threads are AWESOME.

I like that pouch a lot. Seeing it packed full of cool useful swag makes it all that much better.

+1 :cool:

GaryMc likes this.
  10. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Nice review. I've really enjoyed my TAD Litespeed. I wish they'd restock the OP1 in Foliage.

GaryMc likes this.
  11. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Bushman5 Thank you Sir and thanks for taking the time to read them, really appreciate it!!!!!

12. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@R Stowe Thank you Sir, TAD makes some great products!!!!!

13. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

14. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

I love the OP-1, have it in Coyote, Foliage, and Black. Black Multi-cam would be cool, but then I'd have to buy another Lightspeed!

GaryMc likes this.