2017 Hunting & Fishing

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Rook52, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Damn dude he's a looker for sure. What am I seeing up against that tree to the left in the first two pictures? And then something that looks like an orange juice bottle upside down on top of another one lol.

2. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Good to know I won't be completely wasting my time lol. The past few times that I've sat out for them at night, I've seen absolutely nothing. What's the best call to use this time of year? Might be different where I'm at though, being over in Eastern NC.

3. IW17

IW17 Member

Homemade feeder from pvc and corn syrup bottles hung upside down to slowly drip out. Doesn't fool big deer normally, but the does love it and get their scent all over. Then come rut, hopefully that's enough to entice them in during daylight hours. Hopefully being the key word.

Bcamos likes this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

That's awesome. I never thought of doing something like that.

There's an odd regulation in our NC rulebook that states, basically "The use of processed foods as attractants is prohibited in any county that has an established bear season".

It doesn't go on to explain what that actually means lol. Is processed food illegal to use if you're hunting bears? Or is processed fool illegal to use for any animal, regardless of what season you're in, solely due to the fact that your county has an established season that allows the taking of bears?

No one seems to be able to answer this question (I'd rather not call the game warden to ask). The general rule around here is to either just not do it, or don't advertise it so you don't get caught.

Baiting is 100% legal here for deer. But the definition they have for "processed food" basically takes away every single store bought attractant. Technically apple flavored corn would be considered "processed food" according to their definition.

5. NoRest

NoRest Member

Pup distress, young coyote howls, and pup howls work well for me this time of year. Any type of rabbit distress will normally work year round. I mostly use coyote vocals exclusively nowadays because so many people around here have FoxPros blasting rabbit sounds educating all the local coyotes. Use the howls sparingly but if you're using pup distress, just let it play!

6. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

7. IW17

IW17 Member

Yeah that definitely seems open to interpretation, which are the worst, most unfair laws. I'd call them. Honestly the biggest reason for the corn syrup is that using gravity fed feeders the deer will eat 50-100lbs of corn in a few days. So it's long gone by the following weekend when I get back. The syrup soaks into everything it touches so there's still enough left to attract deer by the time I come back. On my actual feeders, run by a timer I don't bother with it. I'll only go through 100lbs a month.

8. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I did some more reading on it and it looks like Fish and Wildlife made an update to the actual law books (not the regulations though) that specifies, anything that's actually labeled as deer attractant is legal. So if I use a salt block from tractor supply that's labeled as horse minerals, it's illegal to use on a corn pile. But if that same salt block is labeled for use as a deer mineral (and priced $10 higher most likely) then it's 100% legal.

Doesn't make sense. But it at least clarifies the regulation.

IW17 likes this.
  9. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Buy 1 deer salt block and keep the receipt, take pictures of the label to replicate with that fancy azz printer. Stick printed label over cow label, if game warden catches it show him the receipto_O then sue the sports store for false advertising and price gouging:D

10. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

11. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Zeek likes this.
  12. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

T
    That will be the next one, this one went to a friend who does falconry, he needed a fresh rabbit to do some training with his Redtail, and then feed it when the training is done. He buys me lead free ammo for hunting so his bird doesn't get lead poisoning. I go with him occasionally when he is hunting with the hawk, it's definitely one of the coolest (and most involved) hunting methods out there.

Delkancott and STPNWLF like this.
  13. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

That's too cool:cool:

14. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

He's taunting me, while getting a free meal out of it.

[​IMG]

STPNWLF and Zeek like this.
  15. Zeek

Zeek Member

Ha ha ha... if it was easy it wouldn't be fun. Enjoy !!!

16. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

20171102_164051.jpg
    Head shot from 20 yards, happy with that, got another one but that was literally at 5 feet, he came around the side of tree right in front of me and was dead before he realized his mistake. These got cleaned and put in the frezzer until I have enough for a stew.

Hawkeye5, IW17, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  17. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I'm so pissed at myself right now. Right at last light, I looked down to check the time on my phone and when I looked up, there he was. My wide 7 pointer, strutting his stuff through the field. With 4-5 does standing around the feeder, he waled right past them and into the woods. He was only out in the open for 10 seconds, max. The entire time he was never on my side of the tall grass except for the time it took me to look down at my phone and back up again. I missed him with just a matter of seconds. Had I been paying attention I probably could have got a shot while he was in the small clearing. But I ******* missed him.

STPNWLF, Delkancott and Zeek like this.
  18. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

That'll teach you to text and hunt:p

Zeek likes this.
  19. W.Jester

W.Jester Member

Connected with this nice 8 pointer opening morning of blackpowder. BB4FD40C-C6D0-4710-9624-23AD5C39D8D5.jpeg 0FDCE920-C190-4126-B3C7-92F30F455E8F.jpeg

Wisdom, BigJake, Hawkeye5 and 5 others like this.
  20. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Zeek likes this.