Vehicle Jacks, etc., thread

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by C99c, Sep 10, 2017.

1. C99c

C99c Member

A thread for discussing vehicle jacks.

The Hi-lift jack is well known and very popular, for obvious reasons. It isn't the only option for offroad, though, and might not be the best option for everyone.

Scissor jacks and bottle jacks generally take up less space and likely already have a spot set aside to mount them in the vehicle. There are companies that offer accessories for these to make them safer and better suited to offroad use.

Exhaust jacks? They exist, but I don't know anything about them other than the photos I've seen online.

2. C99c

C99c Member

Datilite likes this.
  3. C99c

C99c Member

I've used these Hi Lift wheel lifts a lot in the past. Combined with a jack stand to stabilize the vehicle they are a good choice to use with newer trucks that don't otherwise have a jacking point that will work with Hi Lifts.

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

In my pics in the show your vehicle thread you can see me using a HiLift with a winching kit to drag (that bitch makes you work for every damn inch !!) my truck out of a bogging. I tried to lack the front to get something under but the ground was just too soft (even with a base plate) so pulling was my last recourse. I do however wish I had an exhaust jack with me as it is about the only lift I could have got on that ground. I have used them out here a bit and they certainly do work but you need to carefully assess where and how your vehicle is located before you blow it up lest you throw it over....LOL The right answer is like so many cases, a combination of several options you are familiar with. I will post up some picks of my jacking/winching kit etc when next I have them unpacked.

Zeek, STPNWLF, C99c and 1 other person like this.
  5. C99c

C99c Member

I've also had the fun experience of winching out a vehicle with a 48" Hi Lift. If nothing else, it makes you realize that you CAN find room for a Power Puller/come-a-long somewhere in the truck.

STPNWLF likes this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

Yes mate, I am hearing you !!!! That bogging last year took me nearly five hours to dig, pack, winch, drive, dig, pack winch, drive (repeat) out of !!! The only reason it happened was that at the time I knew it would be wet out there and I should just take my bike however I was still recovering (two weeks post OP) from an emergency appendectomy (and a hernia repair they found on the way in) and was on doctors orders for no heavy lifting/dragging etc. Figured if I put the bike down (or even the loading/unloading) I would be pushing the repair work. Well I can tell you I did it and then some....LOL However when you are out in the middle of nowhere with no phone coverage (not that there was anyone to call for help anyway LOl) and the truck is bogged fast to both diffs....well you do what you have to.

Practically speaking I can't say that winching kit simply pulled the trick out, not really what it did was got the wheels up hard against the wood and such I pushed in where I dug out behind each wheel and allowed the truck to drive onto this and back a bit at a time. I was lucky that I had ten litres of water in the cargo bay the as litre on my hunting pack (I was heading out when this occurred) was gone in the first thirty minutes.

C99c likes this.
  7. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Here's how I mounted my Hi Lift.

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

koolaidnd, Strigidae and C99c like this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Ya need the 64" beast.......

9. Andy the Aussie

And don't forget a long handle shovel..!!!

C99c and Zeek like this.
  10. Jeff Randall

And WD40 if you carry your Hi Lift exposed to the weather.

Zeek, C99c and Strigidae like this.
  11. C99c

C99c Member

A 20oz Coca Cola works really well to free up a gunked up Hi Lift.

12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Zeek likes this.
  13. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Interesting.

14. C99c

C99c Member

20oz of water may also work, I've just seen a bunch of folks use Coke. So that's what I used a couple of times and it worked.
    You just have to remember to clean and lube it later or the Coke attracts more gunk.

15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

see a lot of Hi'lifts mounted on roof racks........just be aware that 99% of roof racks are only held on with 1/8" studs tacked to the roof.....i use my Zuk as an example..........64" Hi-Lift Extreme jack mounted to the passenger side of the rack....hit a whooopdewhoo and it cracked every mounting stud on the rack.

plus its top heavy...get that weight down low.

16. Jeff Randall

You need a better roof rack

Zeek and STPNWLF like this.
  17. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Whatchoo talkin' about Willis? IMG_8149.JPG

Zeek and STPNWLF like this.
  18. Jeff Randall

Yeah, well I carry mine the same way and the bastard stuck in the up position last time I used it. A little WD40 had it running smooth again and allowed it to go down. Problem with the jack I was using it it hadn't been used a lot. Worn out Hi Lifts are more gooder.

koolaidnd, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  19. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Oh, I agree. I have used that particular one quite a bit. Have a base plate for it and a couple of other attachments. @RedEyedHog B-Fat is perfect for those inner do dads but would have more in the lube than the Jeep at Casey's prices...plus you could only smell it with the top off. The thing I like about the High Lifts is you can just take a strap and yank the whole Jeep up into the tree tops if you need to go full Ninja.

RedEyedHog and STPNWLF like this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the rack is fine, is its the factory mounts = 1/8" tack welded studs on all 4 corners

DIY with inner and outer steel plates , isolation rubber sheet and sealant and 1/2" grade 8 bolts.........< much better way....