A word of warning

Discussion in 'Sale / Trade Feedback' started by charles bower, Sep 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. charles bower

charles bower Member

@OutdoorsFamilyMan and I had a trade worked out. I got all the stuff promised but due to an address mistake the knives I sent to him came back to me...missing.

Apparently some crack whore that works for the USPS thought it was a good idea to steal two knives but not the sheath (I hope he dies a slow and painful death). I opened an investigation with the Postal Inspectors and I'll be opening the insurance claim shortly. But I'll only be getting $50 because I didn't get added insurance.

That's my word of warning: buy the insurance. It sucks having to pay more but it sure sucks more know you should have made better choices.

@OutdoorsFamilyMan was great to work with, A+ for sure. I'm trying to make right by him to earn the same rating.

2. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

I hate an effing thief.

charles bower likes this.
  3. DSD

DSD Member

I recently found out that if you double the priority postage,you have up to $500 insurance.

4. Espetar

Espetar Member

This sucks. I'm sorry this happened.

As for an insurance claim, I'm curious if anyone has ever had a successful claim with the USPS. I used to always buy extra insurance, but then I read what they will accept as "proof of value" and unless it is something I actually have a receipt for, I no longer do. Too easy for the USPS to claim you haven't proved the "value" you may be trying to claim.

https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm#domestic

5. charles bower

charles bower Member

I figure I'll have to dig through my credit card transactions to find the proof of purchase for the knives originally and provide a statement that they were like new. I don't know how far that'll fly but it'll be something. And since the insurance will only cover $50 if they say "no" I won't be too devastated.

6. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

That sucks Charles. I don't ever buy extra insurance unless I'm shipping something really expensive. Anything under $150, I usually won't insure it. Hopefully you'll hear something positive back from USPS.

7. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I always insure, just in case . It's usually less than 5 or 6 dollars to insure most of the things I'm sending out.

8. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I used to insure then stopped for a while to be cheap. I have started again lately after a near scare on a Umnumzaan I shipped that was delayed for a while. I didn't insure it and dang near had to cough up to cover it. Finally it showed up.

9. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Charles and I are working it out and he has been awesome in all this...including leaving out the fact that if i would have just checked my address before hitting send, none of this would have happened. My big dumb finger hit a wrong number in my zip code. So another warning/lesson is to double check your address before hitting the send button...

On a relatable side note... I have only ever had 1 other issue with a package not getting delivered intact in the 5 or so years I have been shipping knives. I sold a spyderco Tenacious to Robby Oliver of Equip2Endure. The package showed up empty and I filed a claim. It was the all black model. I had the standard 50 bucks of insurance on it. I filed the claim immediately. I told the usps person the knife was actually worth more. I think I had to send an email with a link to prove it and I'm fairly sure I sent an Amazon link for proof that it was 76 bucks.I also think sent them a pic of the knife I took for the sale thread to prove it was in my possession ..Within 10 business days of when Robby received the empty package and I started the claim, I received a check in the mail for the $76 dollars. I believe I got lucky and wasn't about to risk it again. I feel that if I send a package its my responsibility until it's in the recipient's hands safe and sound. Since then I have always insured for the correct value or more (as stated its usually 3 to 4 bucks for up to 250 dollars). I also make sure I have a recent photo of the item....preferably next to the package I am putting it in. I think the more info you provide them, the easier and quicker it is resolved..

10. elgatoloco

elgatoloco Member

Isn't that weird that at this stage of technology when every move of that parcel is tracked there's still place for thievery?!

I bought a pack from Amazon in Belgium and was tracking it every move, at some point it got stuck on the UK border.......and disappeared.
    amazon said - FU, it was the 3rd party seller, we only sent our courier...took me like months to get my money back.

Hate thieves.

11. Espetar

Espetar Member

I agree with most everyone that until a product is in the purchasers hands, it is the responsibility of the seller.

I am most shocked by this though:

If all you sent to "prove value" was a link to an Amazon page and a photo and then got paid that amount, there most certainly are a number of scammers pulling fast ones on the USPS.

That is good news though. Perhaps I'll start insuring my packages again.

12. Slade

Slade Member

Just seeing this. For posterity, mind if I ask how it was packaged and addressed? Was it a click and ship label with a bar code or hand labeled? Was the box damaged or just opened and retaped?

I usually forgo the insurance up to about $300 bc it would suck to eat that much. If it got lost on its way to the recipient I would just have to eat it. I understand it's a calculated risk, but my packaging is always very non-descript with a printed adhesive label. No tape required. No markings that it is tracked/insured even if it is. My understanding is that most bar coded packages go through fewer human hands and require less attention.

The cost of insurance can be quite high by % especially at lower values, and so far the odds are working out in my favor. Not to say that any trend can't eventually change course. I estimate I have saved well over $200 in insurance, so even if I lost a $200 item, I would be ahead of the curve.

13. charles bower

charles bower Member

It was packaged in a small priority mail box. The label was printed but it only showed the City, State, ZIP so I wrote in the rest (good thing too otherwise it wouldn't have a return address). I taped up all the sides with clear packaging tape. The knife blades were wrapped in cardboard as well to prevent them from puncturing the outer box. There was a good deal of paper padding as well so nothing moved around inside.

The box was cut open and taped shut with brown tape, but the box was also smashed up, but that could have just been from sitting under other boxes, especially on the trip back to me since it would be mostly empty.

14. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

ZIP code is very important. One wrong digit will send it bouncing around the country for a few days.... I've had this happen on numerous occasions over the years!

MarriedTheMedic and DSD like this.
  15. charles bower

charles bower Member

It is. The really annoying part is that on a letter its not totally necessary, it'll just take longer. When they first rolled out the ZIP code system USPS issued stamps saying "Don't forget the ZIP"

16. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

ZIP will get it to the general area...

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  17. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Whats the most frustrating is that the zip i accidentally gave is the next zip code over from mine. The post office it was sent to was literally 2 miles from my house...

18. Mudman

Mudman Member

Sorry to hear.. Nice Pelikan in your avatar Charles. I have an M800

charles bower likes this.
  19. charles bower

charles bower Member

Thanks, Mudman. I would love an M800 but for now I only have a "stormtrooper" M100. Still, the nib is super smooth, I can only imagine the larger MX00 nibs are even more so.

20. Mudman

Mudman Member

Very smooth, if you keep an eye out in the FS section on fountain pen forums- you'll see some excellent deals on used Pelikans. As much as I love the design, their nibs write pretty broad. My writing works best with Japanese med. or fine nibs.