Magnetic tool holders

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by JAD, Sep 17, 2016.

1. JAD

JAD Member

I started using magnetic bars to hold my smaller tools and keep them organized at my bench. Because of the magnetic polarity many of the shafts want to rotate or push away from the bar and look this.

[​IMG]

Well I was downstairs sharpening a knife and got to looking at the above mess and decided to do something about it. I took a tri-file and notched place holders for the shafts. Just a couple of passes and I had my notches.

[​IMG]

Now it looks like this. Nice upgrade to tools that I always want at hand. No need to have them a jumbled mess.

[​IMG]

Theo and DiscoveryLover like this.
  2. JAD

JAD Member

After looking at the pictures this morning I wanted to add a few more comments. My shop is full of tools. But it is a working shop and my tools are meant to be used. This magnetic bar is nothing more than a tool for keeping small hand tools readily available without digging through a drawer or tool bag. To that end when I cut these "knicks" with a file I did not measure distances. I laid the first tool at the edge and filed where it lay. Then one by one the rest. There was no reason to worry about depth of cut or overcut into the magnetic surface ( which I did). This was just something to make functional and get the job done. The whole process including removal off the wall, reinstalling, and then loading the tools was about 20 minutes and then back to what I was really doing.

3. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Pretty nifty idea!

4. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

That really cool. Here is another magnetic tool holder you can try....
    6e3a9741f765ccadb610e137d4c7e055.jpg

5. JAD

JAD Member

Thanks Bravo -- all those tools are basically my knife/gun tools on the wall in front of where I do my bench work (sharpening, handle replacement, firearms cleaning, etc.).

6. JAD

JAD Member

MMW -- judging by how that shop assistant is sitting, is the magnet actually located in her ass?

7. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

That is optional upon purchase but you are very observant.

8. Theo

Theo Member

Great idea. May have to do that myself!