Need some help with a IFAK pouch???

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by SICARIO, Jul 13, 2017.

1. SICARIO

SICARIO Member

I am looking at two ifak pouches the HSGI High Speed Gear Tactical MOLLE Nolatac M3T Multi-Mission Medical Taco Pouch and the LBT-9022B-T-XL BLOW OUT KIT IFAK "XL" Coyote London Bridge Trading Combat Medic. I have never used these and was hoping someone on here has and could help me out on is better???

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  2. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Zeek and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  3. SICARIO

SICARIO Member

Thank you so much!! I will check that out!! I was looking at a mini FAK that Blue Force Gear has but i do not think it will be big enough but will check the one you got out now! Again thank you for your help!!!

DYSPHORIC JOY and DiscoveryLover like this.
  4. ipschoser1

ipschoser1 Member

If I remember correctly, this one came from Chinook...

[​IMG]

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  5. DesertFox

DesertFox Member

(Please, please get training about HOW to use the IFAK before you worry about which IFAK pouch to use.)

If you are not familiar with an IFAK, I would look at what FLETC uses in its kits and what training it offers if you're state/local/tribal/territorial LE or first responder.

https://www.fletc.gov/sites/default/files/FLETC_Journal_Spring_2014_FINAL_508.pdf

Chinook has very excellent IFAKs, but nearly any will do provided:

1) It allows ease of access without sight, easily with one hand, by either hand.
    2) It includes a tourniquet (such as a CAT)
    3) It includes a hemostatic agent
    4) It includes a trauma dressing
    5) It includes rolled gauze
    6) It includes a removal method (usually EMS shears)
    7) It includes a marker.

Most people do not carry an IFAK on them, and if you need an IFAK ever then it needs to be on your person where you can get it 24/7.

I would suggest looking at the NAR Ankle Kit:
    https://www.narescue.com/ankle-trauma-kits

It's very comfortable and can be worn all the time.

(An Emerson La Griffe and Surefire Titan are nice additions and can easily be stowed aboard the ankle rig.)

As to wearing on a plate carrier or vest, I still think the SAW pouch and insert will do nicely for almost anyone.

http://www.usamma.army.mil/assets/docs/IFAK.pdf

Hammer and UK Jackal like this.
  6. John

John I know who I am! Staff Member

I've got the blowout kit you mentioned for the range, classes, etc. However, for my IFAK, I've used the Condor pouch for several years and have been impressed with what you get for the cost. I've taken this pouch everywhere including the Amazon with no issues. I echo what has been said here. Knowing how to use the gear in the IFAK is extremely important. Buying a guitar doesn't make you a musician and that analogy goes beyond firearms training. PM me if I can help in any way.

BlueDogScout and DesertFox like this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I was going to suggest the condor pouches. They have several ifaks that are nice even the tear away options for on a pack. Personally I’ve tried them and they were nice but their side kick pouch also works well also if you are wanting different organization. Like stated find out what you want in your ifak and then find a pouch to hold and organize it all.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  8. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

As an aside, a UK company have made a cracking clamshell IFAK, not much use for you guys over there but it's all I use now.

Bulldog-tactical-gear.co.uk make a CMT and it ticks the boxes for me against the others I've used (HSG, 5.11 and Maxpedition) purely because of the layout.

Molle fastening to a vest is excellent and 'ease of one hand opening' which is a MASSIVE and often overlooked point is the best I've yet to try!

5.11 spoiled their very similar pouch by having a zipped mesh inside which was awful with gloves/cold/wet hands.

I love this little kit and whilst I accept they will be hard to get/unnecessarily expensive in the US, for its shape, size and layout it's worth noting!

Also, I couldn't agree more with previous poster.... Training, training, training! I know plenty of people who have something like this and no idea how to use half the kit inside! I guarantee the 1st time you use this sort of trauma gear could be your last! Adrenaline, fear and pressure will get in the way, not the best time to be working out how to,open an IB or CAT. Get some training, ask about, there is loads out there, some for free!

Have a look at the 'National Stop The Bleed Day website as they are pushing haemorrhage control and there are course details on there!

IMG_1308.JPG

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  9. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I agree completely with you about layout. Your pouch looks just like the condor side kick pouch that I mentioned above. For $15 and free shipping on eBay it can’t be beat. The one I have has been used for a year as an ifak and I just recently put my cooking stuff in it. I have ordered 2 more, one to continue as the ifak and the other for my fire kit.

7003CABD-B47B-495B-95F2-BBE3E8F3E00F.jpeg

Above is my ifak contents. I carry a small amount and this only takes up half the pouch (about) I can fit a whole lot more. This is my loadout with the scouts with a larger trauma style kit in the truck which at scout trips is very close. I have a rat TQ, chem Light, gloves, Izzy bandage (6”), leatherman multi tool with scissors, tweezers, softer pins, tape, a candle, 2 brass pill vials for my medicine for a weekend with the scouts, sage oil (antiseptic), clove oil (tooth pain), I have the dragon fore medicated balm, and alcohol pads, badaids (asst), gauze pads, and normally coban wrap but I used the last and need another small roll.

36C5BEF7-5E8C-44D3-B7B1-ABE18F97E576.jpeg

Above is the condor side kick pouch. Built in Molle on the back, front zipper pocket, and Velcro panel for a medic patch

33C6D622-C730-43D8-BCF0-CB41F0E3F35D.jpeg

The inside, paracord to mak a shelf, a rear stash pocked which is where I stash the bandaids, then a lot of big loops with smaller loops sewn to the front. Right now I have my cooking extras in it.

35EB5C5B-9119-4AD0-BFFE-D8F6727826D6.jpeg

Did I mention the front Velcro panels where also Molle in case you want to attach say a glove pouch or an e tee also TQ? Like I said condor quality is great and for $15 shipped I’m using it for other kits now.

The Marsh Gorilla and UK Jackal like this.
  10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

50A73E5F-E9B1-4A8F-9D4B-31B44090998D.jpeg

Although the tack shop (horses) has a lot of bright colors for their wrap lol

11. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

Yeah, great bit of kit that! *ThumbsUp

One things that's often overlooked in an IFAK is eyewash! For those of us that have to negotiate brush/forest etc need to be aware of what damage even the smallest foreign object can cause to an eye if not properly irrigated! The same goes for a range where shrapnel, fluid or gasses can cause damage even with eye protection on, sometimes the eye protection isn't up to the standards one would expect, so irrigating an eye can be MASSIVE, you only get 2 after all!

Good discussion this!

12. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Great point! They actually make an eyewash adapter that threads on a water bottle. I keep it in my truck ifak, works great. I keep water bottles that are cycled out from drinking so it’s clean. Great idea to address often overlooked items!

13. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

The other big one that most people miss is a sharpie!

You miss marking a casualties head when you've put a tourniquet on, the doctor at the emergency unit will make sure you know about it! Trust me!

Taking personal info, vitals etc and scribbling it on your hand/latex glove etc is ok but fighting rain and blood makes a biro struggle! With a sharpie you can write on the casualties pack, jeans, body or whatever you have lying around, a really important bit of kit!

14. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Very valid point, I carry one in my rite in the rain journal but not my ifak. I think we should start a thread of overlooked items, I’ll do that now! Sorry for getting off the topic...

15. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Created!