Mora Garberg

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Espetar, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Espetar

Espetar Member

I finally got around to ordering a Mora Garberg. $79.99 shipped. While many folks on the 'Nets have moaned and groaned about the actual price, it was not, in my opinion, an outrageous price, and actually holding the knife verified this in my mind. While I've owned a number of Mora's, my go to Mora has been the Companion HD. I think I paid ~$18 plus shipping for the knife a couple of years back. I have read all the reasons why folks shouldn't pay "$100" for a Mora, and I have been involved in those conversations as well.

After holding this knife in my hands, I honestly put my Companion HD in a BOB (read, in a bag hopefully never to be used) and am now moving forward.

Folks greater (in the outdoors sense) than myself have reviewed this knife in depth and a simple Google search will take you to all those outdoor gurus and their opinions. I'm a nobody in their world and I have yet to take this knife out in the woods, so my reasoning will probably not mean **** to them, or maybe even you, but here is why I thus far like this knife:

- The heft. Out of the box, it is immediately noticeable that this knife is much more substantial weight wise than any Mora I have ever held. Unlike say a 510 or 511, this is not a light, sharpened screwdriver. You know it is in your hands.

- The blade design. Rather than the typical straight edge that is on most, if not all, Moras, this blade has belly. And while I couldn't really get a good photo of it, this is noticeable in hand. It is just a few millimeters, but it is evident. I think this is an important change from the very even and level blades on my Companion and Companion HD. Some people may say that the blade in other Mora knives is titled to "make" a belly, or that the handle is formed to "make" some belly, but the Garberg blade is really made to have belly.

- The sheath system. I purchased the multi-mount sheath and could not be more impressed with the available ways to carry or mount this sheath. I really believe this is one area that those arguing against the "$100" Mora are overlooking. How many people purchase the ~$18 companion and then buy a ~$60 aftermarket sheath (usually kydex, but sometimes leather)? It seems that folks "forget" to take that into account when figuring up the cost of a knife. With the Garberg - specifically the multi-mount sheath - Mora has made this aftermarket sheath buying process null and void.

I'm not intending this little blurb to be a review. Rather, just a couple of thoughts - and photos below - about this new (to me) knife. I am looking forward to using it and posting how I like or dislike the knife. I really want Virtuovice (YT) to do a review of this knife.

A few handle comparisons follow.

Mora Companion HD on the left, Garberg on the right:

[​IMG]

Becker BK 16 in the left, Garberg on the right:

[​IMG]

ESEE RB3 on the left, Garberg on the right:

[​IMG]

Trying to show the belly on the blade in these next two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handle close-up:

[​IMG]

A different view of the handle:

[​IMG]

The multi-mount sheath:

[​IMG]

Is this knife "worth" the money that I paid for it? Only time will tell, but as I mentioned, I put my other Mora knives away. Are there "better" knives for $80? Maybe. Probably. My post, however, is not intended to be kindling for "X knife is better" or "You could buy X for this price" or any other internet scuttlebutt.

Just my observations. Thanks for looking. :)

Klynesquatch, Dagwood and JMJ like this.
  2. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

That knife looks real comfortable. Excellent review and nice close ups! Mora grinds are just so dam beautiful!

3. charles bower

charles bower Member

I don't know how Mora does it but they knock everything out the park. The knives can take a beating and just keep coming. This looks like a flagship model.

4. RegaliaJoe

RegaliaJoe Member

This is a pretty cool blade. I am very interested in the new tiny version.

5. Klutz

Klutz Member

Thanks for the close up angles. I love moras but, I'm on the fence with this one. It does look very tempting however.

6. JMJ

JMJ Member

Awesome review! Scandi's the only grind I haven't tried yet.

7. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

8. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

And after 2 and a half years of use, what are yor thoughts???

9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

That member was banned and wont be able to respond. I would assume that are other active members who can give you their thoughts.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

11. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Blew my mind seeing his one positive contribution bumped up here this morning :confused:

Sad wasted potential...

Zeek likes this.