Wanderlust at a late age

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Strigidae, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thanks! Its super humbling to me that all of you are opening up your doors to my family. Really cool. Not sure where we are going this year. Shes making plans for bora bora or something now but hopefully that will change .

2. wilas101

wilas101 Member

whoa, wait there. I never said you could come in the house. I just meant that you were welcome to like hang out in the yard or something. :p

For real though, its pretty spectacular country out here. We've still got so much exploring to do, just in the Big Horns, it's crazy but we're going snowshoe shopping this weekend so we can start doing some year round.

3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

HA! I'm not house broke so good plan. :)

Wife and I talked about moving out that way years ago but here is where we ended up and I'm happy with that.

4. wilas101

wilas101 Member

I looked pretty hard at moving down around the West Plains area at one point. If we ever ended up back in MO it would definitely be in the southern half. However, I did NOT miss the humidity at all this summer. lol

Strigidae likes this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Member

The West coast of Newfoundland (The best coast)
    If anyone is worried about traveling to Africa but really want to go make Botswana the place you see. I was there in '99 for little over two months and you will not find a safer place anywhere in the world. Locals are wonderful.

The animals are as good or much better than anywhere else in Africa. The parks for the wildlife are perfect. Not like the virtual zoo's of SA. Botswana has everything a fan of African wild life would want to see. Expensive but well worth it. You can travel the parks in any level of comfort or total lack of comfort you pick but you are required to have a guide.

Regards,
    Kevin

Strigidae likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Member

As for wildlife and totally unspoiled nature closer to "home" Newfoundland can not be beat in North America. We travel there every year for about 5 weeks, but this year it will be 2 months or longer. People are amazing or you can get far away and as deep in the woods as you could ever want. Newfoundland is almost total government owned. You can camp anywhere you like. You have the ocean all around or millions of ponds, lakes or rivers and in Western Newfoundland where our place is you have the end of the Appalachian mountain range.

In the late fall large numbers of American hunters show up. I'm sure many of them know of the place from when there were large U.S. military airforce and navy personal stationed in Newfoundland.

If you come in the peak season make reservations as there are not enough places to stay if you are relying on B&B or hotel/motels. If your heading into the woods not an issue but book the ferry/car rental/plane before hand.

Kevin

Stone and Strigidae like this.
  7. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

I have been traveling for some 50 years. US, Canada, Mexico, Carribean, Thailand, Indonesia, ....some trips solo, some with my family and extended family. Backpacking, car camping, 66 Chevy Van, VW Bus, crap holes and five star resorts. Grew up in MI, lived in Idaho, FL, and now East TN. Lots of business travel and trips in general. My parents took us on a few camping trips growing up and I was involved with Scouting.
    I remember specifically almost to the day when I was bitten by the wanderlust bug. It was my Junior year of high school
    It was in sociology class, bored and looking at a map of the US in the back of a geography textbook....thinking....I want to travel to every state and see what it has to offer. I haven't been to Hawaii yet. Alaska summer of 2019 perhaps. Doing the research now
    ....my wife tells me Hawaii and the European River trips will have to be with my next wife. She won't do cruises.
    One of my favorite places full of diversity and things to do, is Vancouver Island! Been there five times and plan to return.
    I am now retired as of a year ago. We bought a small RV and our travels continue.. 27K miles in the last few months.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Datilite, Kevin and Stone like this.
  8. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

I've travelled all over Europe. If I were to pick one place to live over there it would be the Czech Republic. Beautiful forests/countryside, great history, extremely nice people, and beautiful women!

9. Kevin

Kevin Member

I to was born, raised and continue to live traveling. If I was homeless I'd still travel. Started off with a military father who loved camping. I continued on with the camping and a job that took me to some great places plus a wife that loves travel so anytime we can we go. It doesn't have to cost a lot, you don't have to go for long or far but go!

Regards,
    Kevin

10. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Other than the Carribean, I have only traveled overseas for work not vacation but I enjoyed it. I have lived in several states here in the US.
    You mentioned Albuquerque. New Mexico has some beautiful mountains in the Northern part.

11. Theodore

Theodore Member

I had the opportunity, lol, to spend time living in both white sands and Santa Fe. Talk about night and day.

12. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Sounds like you were a gubmint werker? I lived on the other side of the mountain in Artesia.

13. Theodore

Theodore Member

My Uncle sent me to so many lovely places:) (Only half sarcastic, some where quite nice)

KMCMICHAEL likes this.
  14. Jim

Jim Member

I just ran across this thread because i was searching for info on Costa Rica.....

Jeff, I have traveled outside the US for business & pleasure and managed to equally enjoy both immensely. Inside the US there are amazing places to drive to!

July Wildflowers in Colorado
    [​IMG]
    http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2015/01/colorado-expedition-wildflowers-in-high.html

The Doll House, Maze District, Utah
    [​IMG]
    http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2013/08/utahs-maze-district-with-my-expedition.html

Mount Rainier and the PNW
    [​IMG]
    http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2017/02/climbing-mount-rainier.html

Alaska!
    [​IMG]
    http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2010/12/climbing-mt-mckinley-denali-in-may-2005.html

Ancient civilizations of the SouthWest
    [​IMG]
    http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2011/07/utah-and-arizonas-neverending-wonders.html

There are endless adventures to be had in the states! Keep us posted on your plans.

Jim

Datilite likes this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Come to Canada Eh?

Zeek likes this.
  16. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

The Black Forest in Germany is absolutely amazing. And if you want mountains Austria with the the Bavarian Alps is close by. Both are mind blowing with the scenery and food, the people are great. I was there in the late 80s and my parents just got back from a vacation there 2 years ago. Janelle and I are planing a trip there with in the next 3 to 4 years. A lot of the scenes from Sound Of Music was filmed there. Can not say enough good things about those two places.

Zeek likes this.
  17. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Awesome stuff, Jim. Real adventuring and exploring seems to be on the decline so it's refreshing to see posts like yours.

18. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

While I have been to a few places, I don't have anywhere hear the passport stamps that you guys have.

On the reverse side from you guys are some people I met while working on a project in West Virginia. There I met some people who were born there, grew up there, and are now retired there and according to them they have only left the state a few times in their lives. No wanderlust in their hearts. Great people, just no desire to see the world.

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

this x 1000 AMAZING PEOPLE

Zeek likes this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

kinda like me and BC Canada. Its that big.

Zeek likes this.