Israel Adventure in the Making!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

So it looks like I just might be in the neighborhood of Israel on my upcoming Larger trip.. So I am curious if anyone has any experience or recommendations for someone passing through for a couple of days??
    I'm kinda a geek for history or old places! Religios, Cultural, Nature, Warfare, Modern Conflicts, Cool shopping, weird places! I enjoy exploring them all!
    Don't worry I will be sure to get a good Trip report when I get back but looking for ideas while my plans are still flexible.
    I do know that Israel has a AMAZING national park system and I plan to hit up more then one while I'm there! Who would of thunk that Israel was BIG on getting their citizens outdoors!

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Never been. Was in Jordan and was going to cross the bridge but it was difficult at the time and I ended up not going through the hassle.

Israel is about the only place I havent gone but want to.

Really looking forward to your trip report.

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I'm getting excited!!

I have my bag mostly already packed and i don't leave for over a month!

Right now i'm just trying to get as much info as i can!

4. Nystagmus

Nystagmus Member

Hope you have a great time! I haven’t been in over a decade, but some things I enjoyed were: old quarter Jerusalem, western wall, temple mount, mount of olives, Hezekiah’s tunnel, dead sea, Masada, Jericho and galilee. The country is pretty tiny, if you rent a car you can get almost anywhere in a day.

5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Copy that! I had almost all of those on my working list and will have to look up the others.

The big thing I'm working on even now is making those "connections" I can... I am thinking that I can get some special access because of the connections I have already made :) So we will see !
    I have definetley learned ALOT already preparing for this trip!

6. Grog

Grog Member

I mostly explored all of the bars in Eilat but there was really nowhere you could go that wasn't dripping with history. The most memorable thing by far from Israel was the people though. Just amazing.

If you can dip down into the Sinai peninsula there are some magnificent resorts all along the Gulf of Aqaba from Sharm El Sheikh up to the Israeli-Egyptian border. Everything from grass huts on the beach to marble walled hotels. If you snorkel or anything of the sort the water of the Gulf down into the Red Sea is ridiculously beautiful and you can rent a fishing boat for almost nothing.

7. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I think there will have to be some Snorkeling in my my future :)

I had to look that up and it looks awful yummy :)

9. Grog

Grog Member

Gotta say man, if you care about your soul, you canNOT enter this region of the world and leave without an awesome education in all things aquatic. Lionfish, dolphins, sea turtles, all part of the tour. It was the most lovely thing ever.

10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I've started really digging into the snorkeling opportunity and i'm thinking this is gonna be a MUST! I am seeing over and over were the Eilat snorkeling and just across the border in Egypt is ranked in the top 5 or 10 locations to snorkel in the WORLD.

Apparently just a few minutes swim off shore " The reef is roughly 3/4 of a mile long and is home to over 100 types of coral and 650 types of fish. Among the species you may spot are butterfly fish, parrot fish, lion fish, groupers, rays and even marine turtles. A number of designated underwater trails are marked by buoys. Snorkeling gear is available for rent. Facilities include an open-air snack bar, gift shop and changing rooms with showers"

AND gear rental is only about $10 a day and trip start right from the beach. I've seen guide prices that work out between $5-10 per hour per person (Minimum 6 People)

(Now i need to find a waterproof camera :) )

Creaky Bones and Grog like this.
  11. jeeter

jeeter Member

12. Grog

Grog Member

Just get into the location with a little, and I mean little, amount of free cash and you can have the experience of a lifetime. There is a segment of the population trying to get into the new world starving for capital and you can capitalize on that hugely. I think we spent $75/day for a fishing boat and that was for a platoon of infantrymen per boat. There was a beached oil tanker in the Gulf of Aqaba we got to swim out to and climb all over. It was illegal as **** apparently but in international waters so all's fair. If you do nothing but cruise from hotel to hotel you will have the experience of a lifetime.

13. Grog

Grog Member

If you can nail a berth in that region you are set as can be. There's an MFO base (US British predominately) within 1 kilometer of Neama Bay/Sharm-El Sheikh, it's the safest place in the Sinai Peninsula and probably Egypt. It's also the heart of the Red Sea/Gulf of Aqaba snorkeling. We were rolled out regularly on QRF if any international guests felt endangered. If you berth in Eilat you're solid. Just make sure your camera is well attached, the locals will take you on a ride you won't remember otherwise, despite your best intentions.

14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Counting down the days guys! Just over a week and I'll be hoping on a plane!
    LOTS and LOTS of plans :)