My Quest Begins

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Rook52, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I probably wouldn't run with weight. Risky on your knees and when are you going to be running with weight while hunting?

Rook52 and Zeek like this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

10031050-Hunter-running-from-an-angry-bear-Isolated-on-white-Stock-Vector.jpg

Theodore and Rook52 like this.
  3. Expat

^we've all been there, but you're supposed to drop your weight before you run.

Theodore, Rook52 and Zeek like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

The trick hunting dangerous game is to make sure you can outrun at least ONE member of your party..... ;) ;)

5. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I started a 6 week go ruck program so far I like it legs are feeling it. Like @Andy the Aussie said I just need to be in better shape or faster than the slowest guy. I have to do my clothes selection next it's a big one. Keep you guys interested in my thread :)

Theodore, C99c and Zeek like this.
  6. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I posted this in the revolver thread but I picked this little guy up. S&W 629 Deluxe 44mag. I'm still kicking around bringing a side arm.
    [​IMG]

Theodore, C99c, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  7. Expat

Clothes will be easy. Call Kuiu. Give them your credit card number and your size, and say, "Send me everything you think I'll need". Then hang up. Done. :)

8. Expat

That would be a tough one for me. If you're going to do a lot of walking, that's some serious weight to carry.

I guess it depends on if you're thinking you'll use it against a 4 legged animal or a 2 legged one. If it's the latter, I'd probably go with a small Glock if anything.

Theodore, Rook52 and Zeek like this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

You need to shoot the sh!t out of that bitch!!!:cool:

10. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I did think a lot about the weight factor, and that is why I probably not bring it along. I'll have a rifle and my guide has a gun so isn't really necessary.

Come on @Expat you know I'm not a kuiu type of guy. Sitka all the way! I have all my clothes bought and tested I just going to post up my selection.

Theodore likes this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

I think we agree that a handgun in this case is probably just a waste of your time and energy. If you are worried about predators rely on what your guide tells you and take his lead. Keep your rifle handy and charged. In Moz, while in the bush, my Model 70 was always close by. When the lions approached camp the last morning it was only three steps away, with my camera.

Rook52 and Zeek like this.
  12. Expat

I'm still on the fence between the two so I'm interested in your selection. I'll be getting a whole set of one or the other for this upcoming season, that much is certain.

Rook52 likes this.
  13. Expat

Austrians have it made. It must be awesome being right next door to Mozambique and able to just drive over and hunt any time you want.

Theodore, Rook52 and Strigidae like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

Your profound understanding of geography never ever ceases to impress me !!!!

Theodore, Rook52, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  15. Expat

Thanks. I have a lot of books. Leaders are readers I always say.

Delkancott, Theodore and Strigidae like this.
  16. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I love that. That needs to be a sticker.

Theodore likes this.
  17. Expat

We don't want to expand too rapidly. That's the downfall of many a good company.

Strigidae and Theodore like this.
  18. Rook52

Rook52 Member

As promised this will be the clothes that I'm taking. For my base layer will be silk weight merino, I'll be bringing 3 shirts and 3 pants. I can't tell you guys how awesome this stuff is for a base. It breaths way better than any synthetic fiber.
    [​IMG]
    For a mid layer is a set of Sitka traverse 1/4 zip and pants. I get a lot of use out of this top and pant. I can just wear the 1/4 zip as a lighter outer layer as well. The shirt also has thumb holes that are great if your putting on or taking off layers if your sweaty.
    [​IMG]
    Next up is the Sitka 90% jacket and pants. I really like these because they have a nice weight/insulation to them. They are not what Sitka brags them up to be but I can wear these three layer into November or about 40 degrees. The 90% suit is super lite, drys fast, very quite and very comfortable.
    [​IMG]
    When the temp drops I carry the Sitka kelvin vest in my day pack. It packs down to nothing and is very warm. It's a bit noisy to wear as an outer layer, but I can put it on under my jacket.
    [​IMG]
    For my hard shell or rain suit is my Sitka cloud burst jacket and pant. Full goretex, I've been in the pouring rain in this and was bone dry. In the past I'd sweat so much in a rain suit I was better off not wearing anything. Not with this suit very breathable, not bulky, and pretty quite. It is also wind proof too. This winter I wore this whole system and it was -20 and I was very comfortable. I didn't feel like a blimp either. The great thing is you can peel and layers so easily.
    [​IMG]
    For gloves I went with kuiu north star gloves. Wind and waterproof and not too bulky. I can easily get my finger in my trigger guard. I normal don't shoot with gloves on but in a chaos situation it can be done. Also pictured carhardt stocking hat and neck gator. They make a rock solid product for pretty cheap and it's warm. Lastly are cabelas brand gators I used these during rifle season this last year and I'm now a gator guy. I have a couple nice pairs of muck rubber boots but sometimes I like wearing my Danners and gators.
    [​IMG]
    The best part of this gear is it all packs well I have everything pictured above in this photo plus 7 pairs of merino socks and the other 2 merino shirts and pants. The cool thing about the cloud burst jacket and pant is they pack into themselves. So my whole rain suit is a little bigger than a Nalgene bottle. Those of you keeping track at home probably think I'm nuts cause this stuff is spending...wrong most of this stuff was 35-50% off. If you plan right you can find super deals. Don't buy camo right before the season!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Delkancott and Zeek like this.
  19. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Wow... i see why you sold stuff now. Awesome gear!!!!!!

Rook52 likes this.
  20. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Ha ha you got it.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.