2017 Training Plans

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Wisdom, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I typically take several training classes each year. Mostly handgun/rifle training with an occasional shotgun or medical class thrown in. What are your 2017 plans? What instructors are out there that are worth the price of admission that I don't know about? My 2017 plans are:
    Farnams Response to a Terrorist Attack
    Something Pat Mcnammera
    Haley D3 Castle
    maybe a Shivworks class if my medical deductible doesn't go up next year

2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

My plans are to go to train with someone that may not be around teaching much longer. I trained with Jim Cirillo. I didn't get to Awerbuck before he took his life. I was fortunate enough to train with Pat Rogers many times. I missed Col. Cooper. I haven't got the chance to train with John Farnam yet so that's a big hole in my training resume--maybe I'll go there.

Tashunka witko likes this.
  3. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

I'm enrolled in a local FoF class this coming November, and just finished a two part defeating locks class last weekend! 2017 will probably be more FoF, along with a Red Dot Pistol school as well. I'd like to get to a PMac class, but he really isn't close enough, when I have the time.

4. Expat

Locks class? Indiana? I'm guessing you went to a certain laboratory that deals with mindset......;)

5. Buckeye67

Buckeye67 Member

Not 2017, but I'm attending Paul Howe's (CSAT) Tac Pistol/Rifle Instructor Course here in about two and a half weeks.

Not sure what will be on tap for next year, but Paul's Urban Defense Course is certainly on the "do want" list.

6. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

Yes I did in fact. Same with his FoF classes in Nov. I missed the improvised weaps class because I had to watch the offspring.:( May do the Escaping Restraints in Oct. but not sure yet?

7. Expat

Shay is a very good friend of mine.

JKPirate08 likes this.
  8. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I'm heading to Frank Proctors WOTG next week. Anyone else going to the carbine/handgun classes?

Buckeye67 likes this.
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

And/or the GSSF Match in Griffin?

10. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

Just completed Intro to FoF and FoF Scenarios the weekend prior to Thanksgiving! Great classes, Shay is a top notch instructor! Can't wait for '17's schedule to be posted!

11. Expat

You survived Pleasantville, eh?

12. Goose

Goose Member

I hit the training courses pretty hard this year, so 2017 will likely be bit slower for me. I've got a baby due in January, so that will be taking up most of my free time. I may try to get in a Force on Force class this winter, and a Low Light class later in the year, but that will probably it. I'll likely be putting more work into my dry fire routine than I have in previous years.

13. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

Barely? His scenarios are among the best I've had in FoF, and rather humbling!

14. Expat

To me, one of the best things about Shay's that's really lacking in other programs is the AAR after each drill. The talking, the writing, the watching, etc. Most FoF training programs you just move from one scenario to the other and then at lunch or at the end of the day, you start discussing the scenario. The problem with that is that it's been too long and you covered too much material to adequately dissect what you did right, wrong, and what you don't know about.

FoF will never be a huge part of the tactical industry because every participant's ego suffers hits. It's unavoidable. And since most of the industry is built around playing dress up and ballistic masturbation, it's not likely that the average shooter will spend more time in FoF training than live-fire training and that's a shame. Because 1 day of FoF is worth weeks of equivalent live-fire training in comparison.

15. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

I registered for this years Bushcraft class and was sick that I was unable to attend. I was lured out of retirement just a couple weeks before it started and couldn't justify taking the time away. 2017 for sure... again.

16. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Not sure that after actions are real good right after a scenario on strenuous and difficult classes. I thought the same thing for a while until we realized that giving the students time to decompress allows them time to think about what happened and give a more thorough reasoning for what they felt was good and bad. We are gravitating away from instant student feedback and it seems to work a lot better. As a side note, this wasn't my idea to do it. An old intel buddy of mine told me to try it this way after very strenuous classes and see if the value of what you get is better after the student has rested. He was right.

17. Expat

Yeah, that's why you do it several times at Shay's. First, you discuss it with him. At this point, your heart rate is pretty high and you're just spouting out the big ideas. Then, you move to a small booth with a desk. There, you write answers to specific questions regarding what you did right, what you did wrong, and what you would do if you did it again.

Finally, you move to an enclosed area where you watch another person via CCTV do the exact scenario you just did. This always spurs the mind to either reinforce something you did or realize they did something differently (and better/worse) than you.

His classes are the only ones I've ever been able to remember all the lessons learned and I believe it's because the various AARs end up being much longer combined than the scenario itself.

18. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

That sounds like a good way to do things.

19. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

I can attest to what Expat said, I've taken several FoF classes from multiple instructors, and I think I retained more, quicker with Shay's methodology. I wish the class actually recorded and provided video of each student's encounters, but they don't , and it was explained why.

20. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Training? I just watch NutnFancy videos.