The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Sweet! Get that nasty sticky purple fatwood.

Bushman5 likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

sheep kidnapping and poking, sticky purple fatwood.....< this is why this forum is so fun. :D In the rest of the world, fatwood is....oh never mind....o_O:D

so wandered the cutblocks for a while, found some "OK" fatwood, but nothing worth sending down to the US to @ManOfSteel .

A little history on the epic purple BC Fatwood ....it is the hardest :D to find up here,it is The Holy Grail of fatwood firestarter, royal purple all the way thru. When dried it sounds like crystal glass when you tap it with a knife. Very fine fuzz shaved off a piece lights with the tiniest spark and burns violently. Even freshly harvested, when you split a piece, resin oozes out.

The Holy Grail site was on the North Shore, near where @ArguableLobster lives. It all started when JCA21, ArguableLobster, and myself met up one day and tripped thru the woods. We found the heartwood fatwood of a giant douglas fir stump, a piece of the heartwood had fallen over long ago and was buried in the duff and covered in moss. The piece was 12' long, 14" wide and 3" thick.....the entire SLAB was DARK purple, with streaks of deep red and orange in it.

Over several years The Crew (including Grady J and Switchblade) harvested chunks.....a small piece approx 1' long x 14" wide x 3" thick weighed around 30lbs wet. After splitting into big chunks and drying it , the pieces were a lot lighter , but not by much.

thats the history....some of you on the old forum and even on BladeForums remember those days. We sent out lots of pieces to members.

one day after we had an epic fatwood firestarter harvesting session, where I do believe I personally harvested over 100 lbs of purple, orange and yellow fatwood firestarter pieces, as well as had a bonfire with the TRIMMINGS, the proverbial SHTF on BlandForums. Lots of whining and winge-ing and hand wringing by the BF ECO naz*s.....accusing me of and others of illegally harvesting wood from the forest, bla bla bla. It became quite the heated thread. So many infractions were issued that day I thought the mods were going have heart attacks.....some of the handwringers even demanded i send them some fatwood because they didn't have any and I was just burning it.

and then I spited the BF eco freaks.....I went dark on the locations, but pretty much every outing I burned a campfire pile sized fire of pure fatwood. Most of it was grade CRAP fatwood, crumbly , wet, full of tree rot, but boy it burned. The highlight spiting was when i used my chainsaw to saw a 2' diameter x 3 ' tall FATWOOD stump . I chopped the entire thing into firewood rounds and burned it in a trash barrel at the Danger Bay LongBoarding Race in Pender Harbour BC. You couldn't stand 30' from that barrel without getting a skin burns from the radiant heat of the fire.

So fast forward........I recently found a big fatwood log, made a bonfire and dried out in the pissing rain . @ManOfSteel got all hot and bothered :p:D:p:D:p by the inferno , that he messaged me and asked for a slab.

so thats the history.

I went out today,fully intent of getting MOS some wicked firestarter. The log is gone, between me and a buddy and his dad, they sectioned it out and portioned it up for their hunting trailer property. So i wandered the cutblocks but did not find anything decent. Lots of crumbly low low grade stuff (works in a emergency, but not GOOD STUFF)

sunny COLD day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

left the area and drove up the HWY a ways and turned into another good area. It was recently chained off so no go. Drove around for a bit but the weather turned to snow rapidly,so i descended back to sea level.

[​IMG]

more

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

PART 2: Illegal Dumping

Turned up the road where the stolen vehicles were, they were all still there....not sure why....

went up the other side and found MORE garbage dumping, looks like a camper was torched and strewn about,metal thieves often burn everything they steal, then go back several months later to "clean it up" and take the CLEAN scrap metal in for $$$$$. Man if i had the budget for game cameras, i'd buy 500 of them.

this area i have been before , several years ago for a winter camp. Made a shelter with splits of alder and maple and slept toasty warm....will dig up the pics if i can...

well now its ******* garbage dump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sasquatch smoking a doobie? :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

over 5 separate fire pits

[​IMG]

if some piece of **** dumped their cat in the woods, i'm going hunting. And not for the cat, it'll be fine, lots of mice and birds , though the bigger mountain lion cats and coyotes might finish the cat off............ No I will hunt the human.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

between the upper dump site and the lower stolen vehicle dump site, I estimate about a 53' end dump trailer is required to haul off all this crap.

Welcome to BC. :mad:

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  5. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Yea I know I can get it at Home Depot here but it's not the same. What a shame about the area though, people really, really suck man. I hate when people trash the woods for no reason. The dumping of the cat there is super uncool, I'd like to deliver a couple huge nut punts to whoever did that.

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  6. Menace

Menace Member

Hey Bush, you ever figure anything more about that effigy at the cabin?

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

nope. Have'nt been able to get up there....5 feet of snow . No snowmobile....

8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

March 19th 2017, Sunny, 9 degrees Celsius. "Ocean-Side Living Hobo Camp 4 , Wilson Custom Knives B.L.A.S.R. & MatchCase test, M.T.R. / FirePellet firestarter test, Fatwood campfire"

Loaded up the pack and hit the Sea To Sky Hwy. Been wanting to check out a spot for a while now and finally got to. Didn't like the fact i had to park right beside the highway in a little pullout, but its a lot further from the stolen vehicles site and has much more traffic going by it.

Dropping into the woods. Right off the bat found fatwood. Nice steep scramble and it got worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cool tree.

[​IMG]

getting close to the cliffs, and the ocean

[​IMG]

train tracks. These tracks disappear into a tunnel underneath the cliffs.

[​IMG]

found a nice spot overlooking the ocean, lots of potential for building a semi-permanent rustic shelter...but the descent is brutal. I can't see hauling lumber in.....so i think a big frame and a tarp will have to suffice some time.

scraped away the moss and set up for testing the Wilson Custom Knives B.L.A.S.R. & MatchCase, M.T.R., FirePellets.

[​IMG]

crushed up some ZIP firestarter and sparked the B.L.A.S.R. , man that thing throws GOBS of hot sparks. First spark set flew past the tinder, second set lit it up.

that is not cocaine folks.......and @Reno Lewis , sorry man, that 6 is getting used like a sheep at an Esee Sheep GangBang at Jeff Randalls Ranch Of Ill Repute!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that ZIP fire starter is awesome. Burns hot and violent, its cheaper than WetFire by a huge margin and is readily available in most grocery and hardware stores. I plan to buy mylar bags and seal the ZIP inside them.

Next up was the FirePellets, these are the 3/8" x 1.5" cotton dental rolls. They do not have a braid string wrap like TinderQuik style fire-starters, so some prep is required, you can't just fluff them up. That being said they burn for over 5 minutes. That's 3 minutes longer than TinderQuik. You can smash these with a rock, then fluff them up before lighting, or cut a slit lengthwise in them, then twist and peel apart. They are 100% saturated in wax, they can be submerged for days in water and still will ignite when twisted open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the B.L.A.S.R. to ignite the FirePellets. They ignited on first strike and burned for over 5 minutes, 3 - 4" high flame pattern. Despite the stiff breeze, they did not go out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next up was the M.T.R. fire-starter. I cut off a 3/4" coin from the 6" long x 1" thick roll. It unrolls and you get over 7 feet of fire-starter, that you can wrap and drape over your kindling , or use it like a Rambo torch. (fast burn!!!!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lights up FAST and burns violently quick. Best piled loosely under your kindling.

[​IMG]

small remnants still kick out a 3-4" high flame pattern.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Next test was the Wilson Custom Knives MatchCase. I put a cotton ball in each end to cushion the matches and prevent movement. I tried striking the matches on the knurling, but the heads shredded. Now this is NOT a reflection on the design of the matchcase....no its that these matches were most likely aged and had been exposed to ambient moisture at some point. The MatchCase is awesome. Its waterproof (kitchen sink test overnight), and its bad ass in that fact that its handmade by Sam Wilson. I will most likely use the UCO Storm Matches in this case and insert the striker panel inside the case facing away from the matchhead surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lots of boaters,passing by, no one saw me (multicam all round,and the wind blew the campfire smoke into the woods where it dispersed nicely.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh yes ^ i got a fatwood campfire going too....

[​IMG]

lb for lb, fatwood is 500% hotter in heat output compared to regular ol firewood. When you want to warm up quick, or get a signal fire going fast, fatwood is your friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut some cedar boughs to sit on, so me arse would not soak up the water in the moss.

[​IMG]

Ocean Side Living/Lounging

[​IMG]

lunch was sardines, Tabasco, 16 grain bread and some aged cheddar. Nothing fancy.

[​IMG]

I always save the sardine tins. Wash em out, put wicks in em, and fill with paraffin. Great candles

[​IMG]

Knives today were the Esee 6 (Thanks @Reno Lewis ) and my beloved TOPS SURV-TAC 7,

[​IMG]

I cut a coin from some pine,and made a camp marker. Also left a bundle of fatwood to dry in the breeze.

[​IMG]

some judicial pruning of low branches and the site gets sun all day from 1100 hours well into 1730 hours.

[​IMG]

looking across at the snow covered mountains.

[​IMG]

600 feet down......

[​IMG]

hot fire, setting sun, cool breeze. Good Times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the way out, and up, back to the Jeep.

[​IMG]

10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Raven, Crow, Squirrel and Seagull all stopped by while I was enjoying the woods. The Raven pair by the Jeep, they are the same ravens that warned me of Bear, up by the BC Hydro powerlines a while back. I recognized their warbles, chirps, croaks, and antics.

[​IMG]

take time to explore, sit, watch, breath, listen. If your like me and notice patterns, or prefer talking to animals over humans, your whole world opens up. Birds and animals you see , observe, listen to, reply to, there is a huge communication going on. Raven warns the human Woods Walker about Bear, Bear huffs and snorts when Human walks thru his area, Squirrel chitters and chatters and runs up and down the trees when Human walks thru the woods.

it is amazing. The trilling and warbling of Cat, the contented sighs and woofs and warning barks of Dog, the squeaks of Rat and Clan, as they search for food in a remoter cabin. The chatter and shrieks of Jays, the sound of Eagles, Hawks, the Grunts of Elk and Moose .

Open your world up. Get into the woods. The Silence at times is DEAFENING, LOUD, HURTS, but then you hear the world................

The sound of snowflakes touching Earth in a blizzard.........

is overwhelming....

it is so loud. And yet so soft.

the scrape of a leaf on a bush, in the breeze, is loud, sometimes alarming......what is that?

it is beautiful.

the other side of me , wheni need to ground myself , relaxes to the sounds of extreme hardcore heavy speed metal.

Children Of Bodom, WASP, DIO, Gammaray, Ministry, Slayer, Metallica etc. The harder, the faster , the louder, the more i relax. Cradle Of Filth has been a godsend for me .

some of the best Industrial Music in the world , has been used in Guantanamo Bay. Prolonged torture sessions of terrorists. Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Ministry ...Cradle Of Filth. Blasted loud and proud, 24 hours a day.

perhaps that is a career I would be good at, Physiological Interrogator. I can listen to extremely loud heavy industrial metal ALL DAY. I kinda like the reactions that genre of music gives people. I'd be curious to see the effects of 24/7 music on a detainee......

when a person like me listen to such incredible loud fast hardcore music, it slows down for us. Every note, rhythm, it is amazing.

Sunday SoundTrack March 19,2017

classic speed

11. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Sig line gold.

Awesome post man. Looks like you had a good day. I'm real glad to see that 6 getting used!

12. Reno Lewis

And when did you become a poet!? Good stuff.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I studied poetry, Old English, and ToastMaster Speaking,just cuz

14. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

BushV You should listen to Lamb of god

15. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

From your neck of the woods:

16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

great band, have NOT seen them live yet! Huge growing metal/thrash scene here,,,,,

:cool:

17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the local favorite! Jay (owner) of Warriors & Wonders , that is his go to music in the store.

my all time favorite video from them , hahaha :D:p:D:p:D:p

The Marsh Gorilla and Dagwood like this.
  18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Great stuff Bushman, you've almost stepped off the edge into primitive paganism. :D Was thinking, if you had a little single axle trailer..you could sort of, sort and haul to the recycling place some of that crap. Might pay for your petrol or get you some coin for more goodies. The old tires burn pile really gets me, saw 2 huge piles of that still smoldering and stinking last time out.

19. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

@Bushman5 why is there so much trash at these places? I mean we have lots of litter, but I don't see so many dump and burn sites. At worst its old vehicles that have been in the woods for 50 years.

The Marsh Gorilla, Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  20. Reno Lewis

As a Norse Pagan myself, I can attest to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.