MARATAC CR123 & AAA LIGHTS REVIEW

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by GaryMc, Sep 12, 2016.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

While I'm on lights today, thought I'd go ahead and share/review my other favorite light brand, Maratac from CountyComm. These are total opposites from LensLights but have their place in my day to day EDC. Whereas the LensLights are tanks, these are tiny / small lights.

MARATAC CR123 LIGHTS - Left 2 are their CR123 lights, require 1-CR123 battery. Added in the Toyota key for scale as these are small lights that ride perfect in the pocket. Only available in Copper and Stainless Steel right now, I believe the current Copper version is on back order until January 20th, 2017. It was $74.95 back when it was in stock. Stainless Steel was still available last I checked for intro price of $59.95. I emailed Mike and Frank from CountyComm and there is a possibility of either a Titanium or a Brass one coming out 2017, they said it was too early to tell yet but we're leaning that way. They are 3 way low, medium, high, twist on/off lights, work well with an excellent lumen range 2/55/300. More specs below pics. These are fantastic little lights that have held up well so far.

MARATAC AAA - The three on the right are Maratac's AAA line. In the photo are brass ($44.50), copper ($59.95), and titanium (intro price of $59.95). Also available in Stainless Steel ($34.95) & Black ($38.50). I find these are great lights for a keychain as they are super small and really lightweight. Also just great in the pocket or attached to a SAK. Again low, medium, high, twists on/off lights with an excellent lumen range of 1.5/40/138. Good run time for a AAA as well. Last I checked the CountyComm site copper and titanium were in stock, black out of stock until 10/01/2016, Stainless Steel until late October, Brass out of stock on a limited edition run.

Again, I find these are just great little lights both the CR123 and AAA models. I have thoroughly enjoyed them so far and no issues. CountyComm has been great to deal with in my personal transactions and are fairly quick responding to emails. My 3 AAA's were ordered at the same time and were lost by USPS, Mike and Frank of CountyComm just took care of it and sent out another set of 3, really great customer service. I realize a lot of people do not like twist on/off lights so they are not for everyone but I find them to be fantastic compact lights. BTW: Just for clarification my copper CR123 is an earlier model. The Stainless Steel CR123 is new. Thanks. Gary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

COUNTYCOMM WEBSITE: http://www.countycomm.com/whatsnew.html

MARATAC CR123 LIGHT SPECS ON COUNTYCOMM's WEBSITE (Stainless Steel Model, copper same except alloy)

Specifications:

Length: 2.7" Diameter: .75"
    Weight: 72.7 Grams for Rev 2
    Comes with extra o-ring
    LED Type: XP-G2(R5) with a life span up to 50,000 hours. ( Focused Beam With Great Spread)
    Flashlight body is made of Stainless Steel billet.
    The deep aluminum alloy reflector has an orange peel relector for a smooth beam
    Its proprietary circuit design features reverse polarity protection and runs off of one CR123 battery that provides 3 levels of operation
    Twist on for Low
    Twist on again for Medium
    Twist on again for High
    3 Second Memory and then resets
    Using a single CR123 Cell battery we got the following results:

Low mode, 2 lumens output for upto 210 hours
    Medium mode, 55 lumens output for upto 5 Hours
    High mode, 300 Lumens output for upto 1.6 Hours

RETAIL PRICE $74.95
    INTRO SPECIAL $59.95

MARATAC AAA LIGHT SPECS ON COUNTYCOMM's WEBSITE (Copper model, others are the same except alloy used)

Specifications:

Executive Series
    Packed in foil packs to preserve polished finish.
    Glow in the dark Diffuser ( New for Rev 3 )
    Glow in the Dark front o-ring around reflector ( New for Rev 3 )
    Each light is hand finished.
    Length: 2.6" ( Smaller than Rev 1 )
    Diameter: .5"
    Weight: 27 grams
    Weight with battery is 40 grams ( 28.1 grams without battery )
    LED Type: Cree XP-G2 R5 with a life span up to 50,000 hours. ( Newest & Brightest Emitter )
    The New Orange Peel Reflector is aluminum alloy.
    Flashlight body is machined of solid billet ultra conductive pure alloy 101 copper.
    The lens has been treated with an AR (anti-reflective) coating.
    Its proprietary circuit design features reverse polarity protection and runs off of one AAA battery that provides
    Now with 3 levels of brightness ( Low / Medium / High ).
    Comes with clip & o-rings
    Note: this is a solid copper flashlight not plated
    Machined from solid copper billet stock
    Clip installed from factory to preserve finish
    New Stronger Clip
    Using a single Duracell AAA battery we got the following results:

Medium mode, 40 lumens output for upto 7 hours
    Low mode, 1.5 lumens output for upto 55 hours
    High mode, 138 lumens output for upto 70 minutes
    ( Rev 1 model was 80 Lumens and 48 minutes) ( Rev 2 model was 115 Lumens and 60 minutes)

In Stock : Price $59.95

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    91bravo and dhunley1 like this.
  2. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Member

Great little lights. I have the CR123 and AAA in copper and both are excellent though I prefer the smaller/lighter overall profile of the AAA and ease of battery replacement for a true EDC style light. I like the way the copper patinas. I rarely grab the cr123 anymore over the AAA, if I need anything with more output I just get one of my Fenix lights.

91bravo and GaryMc like this.
  3. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Awesome review Gary! I love my Maratacs as well!

[​IMG]

GaryMc likes this.
  4. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

You use the copper one as an ashtray?

91bravo and GaryMc like this.
  5. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Ha ha, you're the 3rd person to notice that! I use it to put out my smokes sometimes!

GaryMc likes this.
  6. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I want that copper one bad.

GaryMc likes this.
  7. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I'll read at home later. The font color on dark theme is washed out On my phone.

GaryMc likes this.
  8. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Hey @GaryMc I noticed your copper cr123 Maratac has a flat bottom to it. Mine is milled out in the middle.

GaryMc likes this.
  9. Slade

Slade Member

Interesting. Mine is milled out also.

GaryMc likes this.
  10. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Slade @91bravo My copper cr123 is the very first version which is a little different. My SS is the newest version same as your copper ones. The Maratac logo is even on that flat bottom on my copper one.

11. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@VolGrad changed the font to white you should be able to read it now, had it that way to begin with don't know what happened.

12. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Ha = by the time I saw it again I'm home on my laptop. I do love reading your reviews though. You have cool toys.

GaryMc likes this.
  13. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@VolGrad Thank you Sir, I actually enjoy writing them.

14. Slade

Slade Member

Love my CR123 in copper. I would be all over a version made from "God's Metal" which is what CC calls titanium. In the current days of smaller tech, I feel like CR123 is right behind AA and AAA as far as device use and it won't be long before its right there with them, so that makes it a great option imo.

Zeek and GaryMc like this.
  15. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Slade Mike at CountyComm told me a CR123 in titanium is a possibility for 2017 as well as brass, we'll see. I'd buy either or both in a heartbeat. I'm signed up for their newsletter so if I read anything I'll pass it along. I agree on CR123, I buy most of my lighting items in CR123, just have to remember to keep a supply of batteries on hand as they are not easy to find, yet.

16. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

And if you do find Cr123s, they are much more expensive than you can get them online. Oh, I'd love one of these Maratacs in Ti!

17. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Bcamos January 20, 2017 they'll be back in stock but buy one quick, they sell out fast. If I see it when it goes back on sell I'll try to remember to let you know. Thanks for reading the article brother!!!!!

Bcamos likes this.
  18. JAD

JAD Member

Man I like flashlights. Thanks for the review Gary. I don't own any CountyComm lights. But I have bought a multitude of other items from them to my satisfaction.

GaryMc likes this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Same with mine I just got from WolfmanZack.....

I'm thinking of epoxying a tiny rare earth magnet in the base, then another one on top to fill the void.

GaryMc likes this.