Reloading...

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Andy the Aussie, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

Snipped the tips off... how so?
    I once got some Hornady 75gr AMAX for the 223 and had to shear the red plastic tips off so they would fit the min overal cartridge length and fit in standard AR mags. For reference, Hornady makes a similar 75gr BTHP without the plastic tip that doesn't have that problem. I'll tell you what... I've had more problems with Hornady stuff. They screwed me big time with their FTX bullets and the need to trim the cases to a shorter than SAAMI specs. Who the hell wants to bastardize all their brass for that???

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Side cutters... :D

Strigidae likes this.
  3. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

I'll have a tutorial set up at the ESEE booth at Blade show.

Theodore, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

Some more information. I measured the bullet diameters of a few other 45 colt rounds I have. All measure 0.4510" and are able to slide through the 45 colt cylinder. The Hornady 300gr Mag bullets measure 0.4525" inches and do not slide through the cylinder. I think Hornady screwed me again.:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Theodore likes this.
  5. Zeek

Zeek Member

Finished my 308 plinking rounds using 11gr of Trail Boss to push a Sierra 150gr flat nose bullet probably just over the speed of sound out of my 20" barrel. These are on the far right in the photo. Can't wait to shoot these with the kids off the back deck.:) It's a unique looking powder... grains shaped like little donuts to make it less dense.
    tmp_9454-20170128_145541-2141401119.jpg ld36-1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Theodore and Datilite like this.
  6. Nether

Nether Member

I load 243 Win - 70 grn Nosler BT Varmint bullets, on Winchester brass, 42 grns of Hodgdon Varget and Federal primers. Bullets seated to standard depth. Chrony'd at around ~3420 fps. My Browning will shoot 1/4-1/2" @ 100 yards if I shoot well enough.

I also load 270 win. 140 grn Hornady SST bullets, 58 grns Hodgdon 4831SC, Winchester brass and Federal primers. Remington 700 BDL Rifle. Not sure FPS as never Chrony'd.

I should add, both loads were taken from Nosler's online reloading webpage here: https://load-data.nosler.com/

Correction: The 270 load was from my friend's Hornady reloaders manual. Just remembered :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  7. Zeek

Zeek Member

243s are fast... I like that. It's on my list just not at the top yet.:)

8. Nether

Nether Member

Yep :) Fast, deadly accurate and pretty versatile round - from coyotes, to deer size game. It's pretty versatile. Even tho some guys consider it a woman's deer gun. I don't care. Good speed and accuracy. And recoil is nothing. I was actually going for a 223 and my friend said, why not a 243 ? More versatile, pretty much as fast and even more powerful. Sold! I also considered the 22-250, and the 204 Ruger. But the 243 kept popping back to the top of the list :)

Zeek likes this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

270 is another fantastic round I think... I read a lot of Jack O'Conner when I was young. Somehow ended up buying 30-06s which is O.K. but have always had regret. Oh well, tried to make up for it by getting my boy a 270 for his 12th birthday. Someday I will own one.:D

Nether likes this.
  10. Nether

Nether Member

270 WSM is getting a lot of acclaim from hunters/shooter enthusiasts. Check that round out. Tho if you just want a "hunt most things in N.A." round and don't care about all that ballistic crap, 270win is tried and true. Both 270 and 7-08 are proven rounds. As I'm sure you know :)

Zeek likes this.
  11. Zeek

Zeek Member

What are you guys using to drop / measure powder? I have the Lee Perfect Powder Measurer and it's been O.K. but recently when using the CFE223 powder, the small grain size has sort of "gummed up" the internals. I guess I'll take it apart and clean it but this is one piece of equipment I kind of skimped on and am ready to upgrade.

12. Andy the Aussie

I have a a Pacific (now Hornady) thrower that dates back to 1983 or so.

Looking at the Hornady website it is still pretty much the same now as then...

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Powder-Measure-1-Each/

...that said for most of my loading I hand weigh each charge on a digital scale and adjust with a tickler (TRICKLER !!!!!!!!) . I check every charge out of the thrower as well when I go that route (it is actually very consistent) particularly when I am using tube powders.

I spent most of yesterday putting together a batch of .300Win with Nosler 180 Accubond and Ballistic Tip projectiles. I think I have enough rounds now to see me through the two trips I have planned for the end of the month (I need to put a couple of batches of each over the chronograph so that will use a few more up than just hunting along).

Datilite and Zeek like this.
  13. Zeek

Zeek Member

Thanks... I've been looking at that Hornady one. I'm also throwing a charge slightly below my target and trickling it up.

You had to mention the 300Win... I still have an itch to get me something with little more horsepower than my 30-06.:D

14. Andy the Aussie

It's a great round, for years it was my go to hunting rifle here, more because it was what I had as opposed to needing it. For years I ran it on 150gn projectiles but since I have got "serious" about it and started with the 180gn loads I have just been so impressed. I am getting about .5MOA now at 100 with the second load I tried (it is a 1980s - pre 83 when I got it second hand - Weatherby Vanguard with the factory barrel but in a McMillian stock).

Zeek likes this.
  15. Zeek

Zeek Member

What powder are you using for the 180s? I see Nosler also makes a 190gr Accubond now...

16. Andy the Aussie

ADI 2213SC (H4831 in the US I believe).

Zeek likes this.
  17. Zeek

Zeek Member

@Andy the Aussie have you ever used Berger bullets? Are you familiar with them?

18. Andy the Aussie

Heard of them, read a little about them but never loaded them myself mate.

Zeek likes this.
  19. Zeek

Zeek Member

Finally got my cylinder throats reamed out and I'm now able to load the Hornady XTPs. I worked my way up to the max load using Lil'GUN and the 300gr mag bullets. Groups are nice and they are real thumpers.:D Here's five shots at about 7 yards (close)... 6th round went in a frozen gallon milk jug. They're powerful enough to split my wood backstop.:):D:)
    tmp_9400-20170305_092608-668007732.jpg
    tmp_9400-20170305_090018389513554.jpg

20. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member