Wanderlust at a late age

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Strigidae, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Ive never been one to want to see anything other than the state i grew up in. Im starting to get the itch to leave the country. See some things. Eat some food. Get dysentary. Earn some memories.

Where should i look at going? Fair warning: I may not go as the thought of leaving my nest is pretty darn scary. But if i do...

Phaedrus and C99c like this.
  2. C99c

C99c Member

My wife and I have been looking at a couple of trips in the next few years.

Out current top four are 1. Driving through Canada to Alaska 2. Hiking New Zealand 3. An as of yet decided tropical island. Still narrowing that one down and 4. South American tour of several countries.

The more I look at New Zealand the more it is on the top of my personal list, followed by South America.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. Strigidae

Wife said she would prefer mountains over beaches. New zealand i think has mountains. Literally im that guy that knows his states and everything else is "over there." Im a true redneck American.

Delkancott and C99c like this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

Definitely check out some of the New Zealand options. Offers both mountains and beaches.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I know a few guys putting together a trip to Peru, somewhere along the Amazon river. Just a thought.

santacruz and Strigidae like this.
  6. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

If you are after nature in all of its beauty, I would go with New Zealand. South American is also pretty beautiful, New Zealand would be less of a culture shock and is most likely safer than SA for visiting Americans. If you also want the experience of a different culture, SA is not all that bad. Learn what is different than America since it can make a real change in how you respond to various situations. There can also be a language barrier in SA that would not exist in NZ.

Examples: My brother-in-law worked for a multi-national oil field service company and he and my sister and family were in both Venezuela and Columbia almost 20 years ago. Two and a half years in Venezuela then one year in Columbia. In Venezuela they were told to watch out for carjackers, but that if they were carjacked they would most likely be dropped off down the road by the carjacker without any physical harm. In Columbia, they had to be concerned about kidnapping, but that payment of the ransom would result in the release of the kidnappee. The point being that in America you fight for your life in either situation, but down there it was about the money and if they got what they were after they did not seem to feel the need to eliminate witnesses. I don't know what it is like now, 20 years later, but these are examples of how even crime can be different in other cultures.

They did have a friend who whose wife was carjacked and they did indeed just drop her off unharmed. Again, 20 years ago.

santacruz and Strigidae like this.
  7. Strigidae

Good info guys. Thank you.

8. ozbushy

ozbushy Member

Come to Austria;), mountains, rainforest and beaches so can look at allsorts

Strigidae and C99c like this.
  9. santacruz

santacruz Member

I once went to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Chile on a backpacking trip. I remember waking to screaming monkeys, swimming with dolphins and holding baby crocodiles all in a weekend. And this was just after hiking around the highest navigable lake in the world. Thanks for sending me down memory lane,strig. Good times.

MKZ, Strigidae and C99c like this.
  10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I will put a vote in for Austria! Loved Salzburg just before Christmas time!

I've traveled and visited Europe, SWA and the Middle East. Of the country's I've been to in the last ten years I would give a thumbs up to Italy, Germany, Austria, England, Ireland and Israel. It has been a while but I highly recommend Vancouver Island and the San Juan Islands, BC if you don't want to go to far.

Saying you know your state have you considered checking out National parks in the US as a travel dry run of sorts? Not knowing what state you from have you considered somewhere like Alaska and Denali national park? Esp if you have a hesitation to leave home maybe a adventure in the US might be a good baby step to overseas travel.

I've visited 11 different country's in the last 10 years (Some more then a couple times...) And I have never really had any problems. Someone tried to pick pocket me in a subway in Rome but I knew that was a common problem and had my wallet in my chest pocket. Other then that launquage was my biggest challenge.

Biggest thing I tell people and I am far from a expert... Drop the tourist and American look, do your research online, read travel forums and books. And if anyone asks you your from Canada! ( I'm sure Bushy could give you a crash course on sounding like a Canuck ) And you should be good to go!

I'm sure there are folks on here that are far more traveled then myself thou so I would defer to them on locations.

Strigidae likes this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Canada is pretty badass. And we have like 5,000,000 craft beer brewers....lol

Strigidae likes this.
  12. JAD

JAD Member

I would not leave the country.

Moonpie and Strigidae like this.
  13. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Pacific Northwest is awesome if you have not been there: northern California, Oregon coast, and Washington offer beautiful scenery and tons of adventure.
    Alaska is...well, the last frontier: wild, but navigable; oceans, but mountains; far away, but an 8 hour flight; separated, but connected. You can fish, hunt, pan for gold, hike, and eat seafood (oh, I forgot; you don't like that).
    If I was 25 years old again, I would move to Alaska.

C99c and Strigidae like this.
  14. Strigidae

Watching 'anthony bourdain parts unknown.' He went to lybia. My wanderlust does not include lybia. Ever. Well if i could go safely maybe. No. Never. Changed my mind. No lybia.

C99c likes this.
  15. dab867

dab867 Member

Costa Rica. Beaches, rain forest, mountains, volcanos, friendly people.

C99c and Strigidae like this.
  16. BigJake

BigJake Member

A friend of mine owns a restaurant/brewery in Albuquerque. I'd like to wander over there and check it out someday.

Strigidae likes this.
  17. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Trust me I throw some Canada jokes around BUT I liked visiting and have plenty of friends and family from there.

Canada would be a good trip but I would just recommend stepping a Little more off shore for the experience. Far easier to get dysentery and eat some crazy food the farther you step off shore. :)

Strigidae likes this.
  18. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

What about the beautiful and tropical Greenville Sc, even have a free place to stay. Got 40 acres to hunt, camp and shoot.

Strigidae likes this.
  19. Strigidae

Wife was out thata way not too long ago with some friends. Be fun to hang out and not carry a pager for hurt folks needing us. We fixed up some hurt folks though!!

mtngoat likes this.
  20. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I've got two more commercial flights to get on for the rest of my life. The trip to South America in June of this year and the trip back home. After that, I'm done leaving the USA. Anywhere in the USA I can drive. I might get talked into possibly one more trip before I die and that would be New Zealand. A good friend of mine lives there now and he's doing a lot of mountain climbing and wants Wendy and I to come down and join him on an expedition. Would really like to do that but damn I hate leaving the USA anymore.

Addicted2Tone and Strigidae like this.