Old vs New or fake?

Discussion in 'Counterfeits and Fakes' started by Theodore, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Theodore

Theodore Member

I just traded and got a "new"(unused) old Izula. Obviously the sheath changed. But I am also noticing differences in thickness and the jimping is rounder on the older one. Are these just differences in old vs new Izulas or do I have a .......
    (It is not a 5455 whatever serial #)
    The red one I bought from a reputable dealer. The black one I traded for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Looks good to go to me but we will see what the bosses say.

Theodore likes this.
  3. Theodore

Theodore Member

I want to say I read something about the changes but am not sure.

4. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Just break the old one....pm Mike Perrin and get a new one in return. He might get a lil heated but just reply with famous Abraham Lincoln quotes or sayings and all will be good.

goon, Zeek and Theodore like this.
  5. Theodore

Theodore Member

While merely truncating into a giant oak tree with the aid of a framing hammer the knife seemed to suffer some sort of malfunction. Perhaps it was rusty or defective?
    But as General Patton said, "Do more than is required of you."

How is that?

Mountainmistwanderer likes this.
  6. jlowrance

jlowrance Member

Just remember don't take "No" for an answer. The customer is always right. I would probably expect a free gift for my troubles since I could have bought one from Quick Knife in Cullman, Alabama for half the price.

Theodore likes this.
  7. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

The red one with green paracord is counterfeit. No warranty. If you break it and send it in to us we will simply trash it and you are out a knife. So the "reputable dealer" you bought it from might have some explaining to do.)) Mike

goon and Tibo like this.
  8. Theodore

Theodore Member

Ouch! I got it from blade hq. White box and all. With sheath clip and survival card.
    (Thank you for the response)

9. Theodore

Theodore Member

If this is not a mistake( they happen) I have the box, the bag, with bar code and receipt available for you.

10. Theodore

Theodore Member

Just to make sure, butt necked for the first time in two years........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To be clear the red one did have a sharpening choil. It has been sharpened. A lot.

11. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

I think Mike is drunk already. The red one looks real to me.

12. Theodore

Theodore Member

Well, I am sweating bullets waiting for a go no go on the stripped pictures. There are definite differences. The red one has 90° corners. The paint feels different. The jimping is more pronounced. I definitely want to be 100% before I go calling a company all telephone tough guy demanding a "real" one. (Especially because if I recall, it was two years ago, they were polite and helpful on the phone.)

13. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

The absent sharpening choil is why I called it counterfeit. If you are saying it had one and you have sharpened it back enough to remove it then I take back what I said. Blade HQ is a good company and I can't imagine they would sell one.
    The new counterfeits never have the little choil new out of the bag. Mike

jlowrance and Strigidae like this.
  14. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Theodore, I'm interested in seeing this knife. Can we trade you a new Izula for this one? BladeHQ are standup folks but one of the signs of a counterfeit is thickness and the diameter of the pommel hole (inside and out). Also, the engraving looks a little off to me. How does the red izula fit in the black izula's sheath? That's another way to tell counterfeits is they don't fit well in genuine sheaths. Not saying this is counterfeit but it is interesting, but I'm simply going by photos. Can you measure the thickness with calipers and also measure the OD and ID of the pommel hole and let us know.

15. Jeff Randall

Once thing I will say is the sheath on the red one is no doubt our sheath so that makes me believe it's genuine since it fits inside our sheath.

16. Theodore

Theodore Member

Thank you for the response and clarification. I went from hand sharpening for years to a rail system with diamond "stones" recently. Taking the convex out on the system removed enough to "erase" the choil. I put new 550 on them and gave them to my two oldest sons. Geuss I dont have an Esee anymore. I will have to remedy that. I do appreciate you taking the time.

17. Jeff Randall

As a side note, I emailed Shon Rowen and asked him to read this thread. He will be able to tell us more about what he sees from the pics. I think it's genuine but the pics make it appear to be different in some ways.

18. Jeff Randall

Here's a sample of the counterfeits we've been dealing with. Note the sheath texture and the pommel hole size and the engraving.

counterfeit.jpg

19. Theodore

Theodore Member

You can absolutely have this knife for a new one. Just tell me where to mail it. I think it is more a matter of square vs rounded edges than thickness. If these were coins I would say the black one was punched on an older worn die and the red one on a new die. The texture of the paint seems different, to me. And the jimping is definitely different. Thanks for taking the time.
    Edit, I do not have calipers but when I put them together they seemed very close to the same on the handles. Just rounded vs square edges. The black "feels" slimmer.

20. Jeff Randall

I'm pretty sure your knife is genuine. We went to a different system for grinding a couple of years ago. The older one probably was one that was tumbled longer than we're tumbling now due to the way we are grinding. Thickness is what's important on telling the difference. That and the sheath and how it fits in the sheath. I am almost certain your knife is genuine but we will trade you for another one just so we have that as reference in case this question comes up again.