Bicycles , More Bicycles And All Things Bicycles

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 17, 2016.

?

Do you own a Bicycle? If Yes what kind? Select all that apply.

1. Yes

67.7%
  2. No

6.1%
  3. Mountain

77.8%
  4. Racing

25.3%
  5. Recumbent

1.0%
  6. Cruiser

14.1%
  7. Unicycle

3.0%
  8. Other

26.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Tommorow marks 27yrs on this planet for me and I will be (in this order) mountain biking, having a sushi lunch, shooting guns, and then getting all-you-can-eat ribs for dinnerbwith plenty of beer and probably some shots. Pics will be up tomorrow afternoon I'm sure.

Stone likes this.
  2. Stone

Stone Member

Good points all. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that we "deviate" from bikes, but expand on the theme of 'non-motorized transport' to include canoes, kayaks, and kayoes (cayak? kanoe?). As you correctly point out, "... some of the things about using a canoe are the same things that draw me towards bike camping, namely the ability to move more gear with less effort and more speed." Even if one wasn't focusing on bike/canoe/kayak camping per se, but sporting, offroad, etc, the boats could still potentially fit in. (E.g., hardcore downhill mountain biking compared to running ragged rapids in a kayak (Warning: both videos demonstrate insane people doing things of questionable intelligence. :eek:)

Having said all that, it's not my thread, and I won't presume that it would be ok with others to do that other than introduce the idea. And more, since my interest is specifically bikepacking and kanoe camping (rather than sport or hard core mt bike) and their potential integration (imagine a gear packing system that easily transfers from bike to kanoe and back again at those transition points from road/trail to lake/river), I think we should just start a separate thread and link to it from here. Maybe something like "Non-motorized packing vehicles and tools", with a focus on bikes, canoes, and kayaks but with room for carts, sleds (as in snow), carts, and wheeled travois.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  3. Stone

Stone Member

Happy b'day in advance! Sounds like a fantastic day of fun and food, especially the food!

ManOfSteel likes this.
  4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Thanks! If you do make that thread remember horses, they pack in gear pretty well.

Stone likes this.
  5. Stone

Stone Member

Indeed, horses are tried and true. I also like llamas which I used to employ for multi-week expeditions in the southern Rockies. I think both could fit, yet I'm leaning toward a focus on inanimate vehicles for that thread rather than beasts of burden. I can't quite articulate why yet; just a gut feeling. I think animal carriers almost deserves a thread of their own; a whole different set of considerations there -- feeding, sheltering, stealth ....

6. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

My cheapo:

[​IMG]

Mess kit, and a few tools in the trunk:

[​IMG]

Mike Smith, dhunley1 and Stone like this.
  7. Ibisman56

Ibisman56 Member

Yardman: I'm on the preorder list for an Elephant NFE, http://www.elephantbikes.com/ 650b is the only size missing in my stable!

8. Yardman

Yardman Member

Thanks. I'll take a look. I got a Madone road bike, a surly necromancer fat tire, and a Masi cylcross that I want to sell. I'm trying to figure out the next slot. I need a new bike for motivation.

9. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

650B/27.5+ is a great all around bike for me. The 3" wide tires I have on it roll over everything with 17-18psi and they grip like crazy even around real fast technical stuff. Having the fully adjustable suspension is nice too. I can leave it open for downhill bombing or lock it to climb or ride roads.

10. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

Had a blast riding the Fat Boy yesterday. We got about 7" of snow by the end of the day. Ran about 7psi in the tires and that felt pretty good in about 4" of fresh powder.

[​IMG]

11. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Sick!! I wish I could afford one right now. I'm gonna have to see how my 27+ handles in the snow with low PSI

dhunley1 likes this.
  12. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

Riding in the snow is a whole new world! I have an old junky bike that has 2.25" wide tires and it did OK in the snow with low PSI, but nothing like these 4.6" tires. I even made a little figure 8 track in my backyard so that Ollie could chase me around. He's loving it just as much as I am!

13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

That's great @dhunley1 I'll have to see what the 3" does!

dhunley1 likes this.
  14. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Got out for a few miles of mountain bike action.

IMG_2248.JPG

dhunley1 likes this.
  15. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Apparently I just ride too aggressively. Pulled a stoppie yesterday and swung the back tire around as I'm about to load it in the truck. Apparently that wasn't good with low PSI and I broke the seal on the tire and let the air out of it in the process. Just got it filled with sealant and inflated.

16. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

FYI!!
    If you use a Thule Sprint XT rack then check their website. There is a recall on them. I had to send mine back. They sent me a shipping label and packaging to do it.

17. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Would love a rig like this. Tadpole recumbent:

[​IMG]

Mike Smith likes this.
  18. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

Got out for another ride, this past weekend.

[​IMG]

19. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Got out around 7.30 this morning and the air was around 35 degrees so everything was frozen. Made for real fast riding and a need for being heavy on the brakes downhill. Did just about 6 miles and it ended up taking 2 hours because I rolled the sidewall on my back tire twice because of the low PSI and then we sat and hung out for like a half hour at the 5 mile mark after some climbing. Thanking the Good Lord that I had TWO cO2 cartridges with me or I would've been real mad walking it out. Towards the end everything was thawing out and you'll see the outcome of a little mud. Thankfully it wasn't muddy for long by the time we were done.

IMG_2323.JPG

She looks good dirty!

IMG_2327.JPG IMG_2328.JPG

Mike Smith and dhunley1 like this.
  20. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

I need to give the Fat Boy a good wash. We're supposed to have above freezing temps for the next few days so I should have the opportunity.

ManOfSteel likes this.