Adventure - Snatch & Grab Mission

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

sooo the venerable ol red BushTruck with 365,000 KM's on it (orginal engine, still has factory compression), died a month ago in the heart of the drug district of Vancouver BC. (DTES). I was down in Chinatown buying a sack of rice .

The carb is screwed and it backfired so bad it blew out the power valve , and blasted the exhaust system clean off.

Had to park it, walk home in the pissing rain, grab the Jeep, drive back and attempt to move it to a side street. In doing so i tore the rad apart with the tow strap.......i mistakenly looped it in the wrong spot.

Fluids pissing everywhere, the BushTruck lurching and bumping into my Jeep hitch rack (i built it stout though, it handled it fine) . Dragged the red truck to a seedy side street, pushed it into the parking lane and locked er down. Took the battery and coil with me, and chained the hood down.

The back of the truck was FILLED with dry cedar end cuts, intended for the cabin in the woods. Also was my jobbox (filled with stale dirty diesel,and a filter system)

Had no idea what i was going to do with the truck, so it sat there. For a month. Insured,plated, fully legal to park there.

I passed it weekly,noting the damaged locks, seat moved forward, the usual B&E stuff. I expected that.

Today , a month later, I noticed the truck was moved....WTF?????????????

almost a half block further south on the same side i parked it. As well there was a bylaw warning ticket (form NOV 17th) on it (no fine,no impound) advising a warning for parking by a no parking sign.

I figure the City did gutter sweeping and had posted temp no parking signs.... and then the day of the cleaning they towed the truck and then returned it further down the road.

All the firewood was gone too....WTF?

So I thought I better move it. Its not running , no rad no rad fan ,blown out carb.

So I used the worktruck and a 30 Yard bin, my 4 ton come-a-long and a buddy to steer while i winched it into the bin. Went like clockwork. Hauled it to work....parked it off the side.

good times. No pics, forgot the camera.

Big props to a buddy for the short notice need for help.

thats it.

2. JAD

JAD Member

@Bushman5 -- you always tell great stories. And this story is such a Jeep story. But not because your Jeep broke down, but because it involved a Jeep in a vehicle recovery. Our Jeep recovery/breakdown/repair stories are sometimes the best stories we own. Then we talk about them for years. :D

I guess you knew there was no way that wood was going to make it. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

3. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

"I figure the City did gutter sweeping and had posted temp no parking signs.... and then the day of the cleaning they towed the truck and then returned it further down the road."

That's a normal thing ?

4. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

5. JAD

JAD Member

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Yep.

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

no thank you. Nope. nada, hell no.