What did you make today?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Reno Lewis, Dec 23, 2017.

1. pickle

pickle Member

Not a make so much but I processed some wood for the outdoor fireplace with an Opinel folding saw, an ESEE Gibson axe, a Hardcore Hammers Hatchet, and an ESEE 3.

I took this opportunity to teach my youngest how to do this and to use these tools so maybe what I made was a fledgling bushcrafter???

Bushman5, C99c and ASH like this.
  2. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Carved a Tree Squirrel on a log!

squ1.jpg squ2.jpg squ3.jpg

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Instant coffee (big tin of it was on sale) sachets for the Scout Rig and L.R.R.P.R. webbing rigs

IMG_4188.jpeg IMG_4189.jpeg

so much cheaper than store bought instant sachets

4. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Instant has improved a lot in the last few years. . .some are hard to tell apart from fresh ground!

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. erik

erik Member

Was making a black locust axe helve and found a big beetle track - so now it's a walking stick.

IMG_20230409_115603698~2.jpg

Then I decided to convert a hoof rasp into a bolo and ended up closer to a Sirupate-style KLO.
    Still removes honeysuckle, so I'm not mad.
    IMG_20230426_175830487~2.jpg

Maurice DeLaune, ASH, C99c and 7 others like this.
  6. Lost-n-the-woods

Lost-n-the-woods Member

442B6035-5A47-40C3-A845-CDDCEC8F8920.jpeg FF752CF7-6F23-4263-AC4E-F4AB06CACB9E.jpeg
    Used some kool aid Mylar bags to seal coffee last week. Cut it down to slightly bigger than ketchup sized packs and sealed char cloth in it.

D3A588D8-5011-4D24-907B-750ED8BE71CD.jpeg

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Extra long Hooch cord - gutted paracord, two micro clips, soaked with silicone dry film lubricant. Weighs almost nothing

IMG_4773.jpeg

Maurice DeLaune, C99c and Strigidae like this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Lost-n-the-woods likes this.
  9. Lost-n-the-woods

Lost-n-the-woods Member

2 petroleum jelly saturated cotton balls will fit in these! 7DD5890F-4DCC-473E-937D-AF4CC60B0232.jpeg

anrkst6973, Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Bought $100 CAD worth of JigAloo silicone dry film lubricant spray and soaked (literally) all my webbing gear, pack/rucks, tarps, outdoor fleeces /wool sweaters, hiking pants etc

this stuff is bleeding edge technology. Esp with fleece, wool, down , etc - it coats every fiber and allows for rapid release of moisture / water when you shake the garments.

min webbing / rucks / clothes it lubricated the zippers, prevents dirt/forest chaff etc from sticking. As well the threads don't wear out / chafe / rub , due to how slippery they are.

webbing rigs / packs / rucks pockets & pouches when the dry film lubricant is sprayed on and IN them, allows for friction free insertion of canteens etc.

anything soaked / sprayed with this dry film technology , glides over rocks, fallen trees, etc without snagging from stiction like untreated gear

and for you firearms / shooter / hunting folks....

If you spray your ammunition , inside of your mags, your actions on your firearms , with this spray, you'll get faster feeds, no jamming or sticking and much much cleaner weapons.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    Lost-n-the-woods and erik like this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I added shockcord to the ultralight back pouch on the L.R.R.P.R. webbing harness..... hoping to compress the pouch flatter against the upper back.

it did compress it nicely, uniformly, EXCEPT with a puffy insulation hoody inside, the back of the harness webbing (sits against the back) deformed into a round shape, causing discomfort while wearing the rig

IMG_5302.jpeg IMG_5303.jpeg

But, no big deal, trail and error, learn from mistakes and keep testing gear

Maurice DeLaune and WOODSDEVIL like this.
  12. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

A friend of mine is an avid Salmon fisherman and asked me to carve a Coho for him. It took some time, but I completed it today. The carving was done using a MORA 511 Basic.

DSCN0312.JPG DSCN0335.JPG DSCN0360.JPG

13. Scablands Scavenger

Scablands Scavenger Member

Boiled up some wood stain from Red Alder bark. This is the second batch of this I have made, it seems to work fairly well. The first batch was for tomahawk handles a few years ago. Basically strip the bark off of red alder and boil it in water for a few hours. Then I strain out the bark and reduce it down to a thin syrupy consistency. I also, for this project strained it through several coffee filters to remove the solids. I think I had about 2 gallon to start and ended up with maybe a cup of stain. The application is a bit finicky as there is a lot of resin in the liquid that will not penetrate the wood. I found that warming up the wood and the stain helps, apply multiple coats of stain and also spray or mix with denatured alcohol if needed to thin out the resin and allow the woodgrain to absorb it. When it starts to dry I use a heat gun to melt in and dry the resin. Buff it out with a clean cloth and let it dry for a few days to reduce the tacky feeling. For the hawk handles I then just maintained like all my others with an axe wax or butcher block conditioner as needed.

IMG_20230510_092452579_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230510_101103176.jpg

IMG_20230510_105655732.jpg

Pretty thin to start.

IMG_20230510_121944546.jpg

Strain it and boil more, transfer to smaller pot when needed

IMG_20230510_123008433.jpg

After about 6 hours of reducing

Screenshot_20230518-172533.png

A picture of some applied to the project, a nice golden honey color and it has an almost sweet cinnamon or caramel smell.

IMG_20230510_150421882.jpg

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Glued a large cut down cork piece into a @5col bank line tube- other end of cork is the stopper. Waterproof storage (lots) inside plus bank line on the outside.
    I like to maximize space on my gear - utilize every possible empty space. The core of the cordage tube was wasted space. Now it’s usable waterproof storage space - and it meets my criteria of trying to get every piece of gear to be multi-use

IMG_0456.jpeg IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0458.jpeg

this storage save could be utilized for a fishing kit, matches / tnder storage etc

Last edited: May 27, 2023
    anrkst6973, 5col, Bozho and 2 others like this.
  15. jeeter

jeeter Member

I ate too much cheese, so I made my house uninhabitable.:D

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. erik

erik Member

I converted 1/2" square steel stock into 30 tent stakes.
    then traded 8 of them for another 40' of steel so I can make 24 more. (and a couple stake pullers)

17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Used up some apples & bananas - chunked the apples and sliced the bananas.

IMG_0635.jpeg IMG_0636.jpeg IMG_0637.jpeg IMG_0638.jpeg

bunch of kale & spinach chopped up. Wash, then blanch in boiling water for 10 seconds. Drain well, spread onto tray. These kale/spinach flakes will be used with instant noodles in my hiking food kits, to add healthy fiber, minerals, vitamins and flavour

IMG_0679.jpeg IMG_0680.jpeg IMG_0681.jpeg IMG_0682.jpeg IMG_0683.jpeg

Time to dehydrate - the apples / bananas will get portioned into vacuum sealer bags with raisins , dried nuts etc , for RTES (Ready To Eat Snacks) for my webbing rigs. Also picking up a big bag of frozen cranberries and blueberries later today for dehydration. The spinach/ kale veggie flakes will be added to instant noodles

IMG_0639.jpeg

been eyeing this professional stainless steel 12 tray dehydrator for a while now - will have to wait until the work $$ picks up though

IMG_0640.jpeg IMG_0641.jpeg

also made a gaffer tape rig - got tired of trying to find various rolls of tape in the house - now they are all together and easy to find / use

IMG_0642.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    Bozho, rcems2000 and anrkst6973 like this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

8 cups of raw spinach & kale , dehydrated down to 1 cup :D

IMG_0685.jpeg IMG_0686.jpeg

Time to gussy up some instant noodles for the trail

Vacuum seal portions of spinach & kale

IMG_0687.jpeg

take a pack of noodles - separate out the seasoning packets

IMG_0688.jpeg IMG_0689.jpeg

Crush the noodles (they rehydrate way faster)

IMG_0690.jpeg

Add the seasoning packets and dehydrated spinach & kale packet into a Mylar vacuum pouch , fill with the noodles

IMG_0691.jpeg

Vacuum seal and you got a durable meal pouch - instant noodles loaded with nutritious veggies
    IMG_0692.jpeg

Bozho, Jtallen83 and anrkst6973 like this.
  19. Lost-n-the-woods

Lost-n-the-woods Member

Repurpose and reuse… you can get these heavy heavy duty water carrying vessels from a Fazolis drive thru. Lemonade or sweet tea or you could ask for an unused one maybe? I drink the tea or lemonade, wash out and allow to dry, then folds up to be tucked away and forgot in a backpack pocket til u need it. You could even store your water purifier pills inside til needed. Has a built in carry handle and tight fitting screw on lid. 2 on a 4 feet length of paracord and you could wear around your neck and travel a great distance on that water even in desert country.

These milk shake straws came from a drive thru (Freddys) and allow double the storage for the straw. Souped up petroleum cotton balls. Larger meds that don’t fit regular straws, like the imodium ad that you should have to lockup your bowels to save you from the dehydration diarrhea that you could be subjected to in a survival situation.

These great rubber bands that holds the container folded are on your produce in the grocery. They have many uses, never throw them away!

Swiss Army knife for some eye candy [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bushman5 likes this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Those jugs are cool!

Lost-n-the-woods likes this.