Cast Iron Revisited

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 8, 2016.

1. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

@The Marsh Gorilla , I’ll defer to the resident experts but I think that’s called a Bean Pot. They may still be made by Carolina Cooker or others. I’d Google that to see. It would look like a 10” Dutch oven lid would fit…pilfer thru your kitchen and try some lids just to see what happens.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Thanks man! I’ll keep an eye out for antique shops and I think we have a Lodge store at the outlet mall going towards Baton Rouge I can check out.

anrkst6973 and Zeek like this.
  3. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I would still try out any lids you have, already owned cast iron, glass, stainless….I’ve managed to get covers for most of my collection of skillets and chefs pans by trial and error. I found pictures of both a Lodge, a BSR ( which looks the most like yours) and several no name antiques on Google images.
    Even an oven safe glass or aluminum stock pot lid that fits would be helpful.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Oy, MarshG..I took a tape measure to my CI collection. The flat top Lodge 4 quart lid will fit that pot. The 5 quart Lt Dan with the self basting lid will too. If you don’t already have those you might find a used one in the antique stores.

Lostviking and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. TerryD

TerryD Member

Lodge 3 notch and Wenzel Dutch oven on supper duty.

Corn bread and jambalaya!

20230127_171220.jpg
    20230127_172148.jpg

6. ASH

ASH Member

I was gifted this 1940- early 60's 8" Lodge today. The guy that I recently shortened and refinished a belt for gave it to me. He collects and restores cast iron. He uses electrolysis instead of lye.

IMG_20231128_185956786_HDR.jpg IMG_20231128_190028883_HDR.jpg

7. ASH

ASH Member

That flat top stove is a problem though.

8. TerryD

TerryD Member

I have the same one. Inherited it from my Granny. It's my favorite skillet because she used to fix me pancakes in it growing up. Reminds me of sitting in her kitchen waiting on those buckwheat cakes and Karo for breakfast.

Shouldn't be. I've used mine on our flat top stove for 4 years now.

ASH likes this.
  9. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

I’m finally back to a gas stove.

10. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

Ditto, we just got a new gas stove last month. I remember not liking the change to electric but forgot just how much nicer it is "cooking with gas!" Now the downside is todays cheap manufacturing almost dumped the turkey. The rack is so flimsy it sagged and fell off the track when the wife tried to pull it out to baste the turkey, just a 14 pounder. Luckily she saved it without getting burned but what spilled made a smoky mess. Local appliance guy took a rack to get some supports welded on for us after the wife inquired about any heavier racks available, at least the local service is good. I predict aftermarket oven racks will be a thing soon, ours can't be the only one, stove is a Whirlpool.