BOOTS ????

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Andy the Aussie, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

......in the market for a pair of boots between real boots (I wear Lowas at the moment) and runners. Looking at Keen, Merrell and Salomon as they are the brands I can get here easily. As I have not been able to try them on I need them to be here and in stock as opposed to ordering in from overseas as I normally would.

Any advice, ideas or experiences would be appreciated.

Strigidae and RocketmanDane like this.
  2. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Andy the Aussie

I would vote for the Merrell Moab 2 Mid’s.

I have had a few pairs of the Moab 2’s and for the price they are hard to beat IMO.

I wear a pair almost every day and will continue to buy them as they wear out. (Usually 9-12 months of 4-5 days per week wearing) That is a good record for use by me.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    TerryD likes this.
  3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

4. Andy the Aussie

Thank you !! The MOAB2 is actually sitting at the top of my list at the moment. I need to try a pair on now though. On most boots I need a wide sizing and in these they are one that are available, but not here in Aus !!!!! I have had many pairs of Danners and a quick check says I still have three new and one used pair in the locker, but all are Mil Style and heavier than I want for fluffing around town. I had an early pair of their trainer type boots and give them to a Godson like new as they just didn’t fit me well.

I appreciate the info mate.

5. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Not a recommendation but more of a stay away. Had a pair of Keen Targhees and they didn’t impress me. Lacing up the first few times some of the stitching broke on the support lacings they have. Unfortunately I was away and couldn’t return them. Good part was I could sew them up and they’re still going. I’d just be wary of the QC. I’m following this one since I’m looking for the same thing mainly for travel

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  6. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

MOAB series is very comfortable. I have worn out two pairs in 18 months though. My Salewas had a bit of a break in but are almost as comfortable.

7. erik

erik Member

Salomon seem to run narrow.
    Moab 2 wide fits me pretty good.
    Was not a fan of Keens - they rubbed the bottom of my ankle bone, although the pair I tried on the wide fit my foot fairly decent.

8. Rich275

Rich275 Member

So, what questions can I answer for you about Salomon's?
    [​IMG]
    My favorite pair are the Quests by far. They've been used for everything from daily wear, trips to the range, hikes up and down Mt. Rainier, snowshoeing.
    The X Ultra Mids are in second place, but they have a small flaw all of the Salomon Mid styles have and that is they only have one set of lace hooks on the upper, which makes them a little harder to cinch tight. Great boots otherwise. The Quests and X Ultra's are sized the same as the Merrells.
    I live in a pair of Keen sandals at home, but think their shoes/boots are weird fitting. The Quests have plenty of room in them, the X Ultra's aren't narrow, but aren't wide either. In Salomon running shoes I have to go a 1/2 size up.

Strigidae likes this.
  9. TerryD

TerryD Member

I have the Moab 2 Mids as well. Don't get the water proof. They don't dry out.

I like the standard ventilator and carry extra socks. Once my feet are wet in the waterproof version, they are wet till they spend a few days drying at home.

10. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

I've had several pair of the MOAB mids. They are comfortable out of the box. They last long enough for me given the price point (better than any tennis shoes I used to own years ago that cost more. Not as good as my quality Danner boots that cost a lot more).

I will second not getting the waterproof version. I've found they are not very waterproof in the first place, and have also experienced them taking a while to dry.

No experience with Keen or Solomon. All the Danner boots I've had have also been good, but they were more military or heavy winter style.

TerryD likes this.
  11. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Andy the Aussie

I have Wide Wide feet and the Merrel Wides are true Wides. The Regulars run a little wider then most but i would go with the Wides in your case.

TerryD likes this.
  12. Andy the Aussie

So an update, the MOAB2 is now discontinued and they are around to MOAB3. Got to a Merrell store here but no MOAB3 in wide available yet. The Wide fitting is however close to perfect for me. Ended up finding a pair of MOAB2s on sale. They are on the way.

Cheers all !!!

erik, Skip808, Twoody88 and 2 others like this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

They arrived from the US in under a week, excellent. Maiden voyage in them on the weekend !

Strigidae and Twoody88 like this.
  14. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

I just passed on a pair of moab2 waterproof low versions to a friend. Very nice but fit me slightly too small, I've been considering a non waterproof pair for a while now

15. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

You will be the sharpest dressed mall walker there.

Twoody88 likes this.
  16. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

I don't think I could go back from my danners.. hot and not the lightest.. but you make sacrifices for love

17. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

What section of said mall do you have your Gucci village set up ? I assume that's the campground of choice for such a lifestyle.. be safe out there there could be a flash sale at a moments notice

18. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I set it up inside my mansion. Too many bugs outside.

19. Andy the Aussie

... no question at all !!!!!

Strigidae likes this.
  20. Andy the Aussie

...... I do love my Danners, I have three pairs in rotation just now, a old pair of SF Boots that are just about at life end (but not quite), a pair of Desert TFX and a brand new pair of Desert Arcadias. They make a great boots but as much as I do love them I found there are "better" and by that I mean better for individuals. I love the Lowas I am wearing most now, I can't deny it. And yes Strig is actually correct, I bought the Merrells just for walking the streets and weekend wear, not for my fulltime hunting/bush boots, but it is nice they can be to.