Sleep Pad Recommendation

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by RocketmanDane, Mar 6, 2022.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I have a couple of multi night outdoor classes coming up and I am in need of a good sleep pad for tent camping. There is no room for a cot so I will have to be sleeping on the ground.

My tent limits me to a 7 foot pad length but as wide as I want. I would prefer to keep the pad under 10-15 pounds and roll up style is pretty much required.

I am really not looking for a blow up / air filled type mattress. A High density foam or a multi layer foam pad is what I am looking for.

I tend to sleep on my side / stomach so a little wider pad is better.

Additionally I am 6+ foot 200+ pounds so it needs to hold up under “big boy” size..

Any recommendations?
    Thoughts?
    Ideas?

Thanks!!

Caleb O and FTG-05 like this.
  2. anomad

anomad Member

A 4 inch open cell foam pad with a thin closed cell, the cheap blue ones are fine, foam on top with a good blanket is pretty comfortable. Finding open cell pads might be tricky.

Another option I have used is a couple of moving blankets and the same blue pad(s) on top of those. A little more firm than the open cell foam, but easier to store/transport and useful for other things. Makes a pretty comfy nest.

We did splurge on 2 4" self inflating pads when we had a van and actually went camping, LOL. Expensive, but pretty luxurious. If you're heading this way you can borrow mine.

You might find a full length lawn chair cushion or something like a futon mattress?

Gratuitous van picture because I miss it:
    [​IMG]

3. maillet282

maillet282 Member

4. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@anomad
    Not heading all the way your way but I appreciate the offer.

I have been trying to find those open cell foam mats. I know fabric stores use to sell them.. But it looks like they are wanting like $50 or more a yard now..

@maillet282
    I will have to try and get to a REI or similar to check one out. I have seen them but I am thinking that it might not be enough padding for all my bones..

@shaneadams90
    Thank you for the idea. I went looking and I think I found a short maybe 8 inch cot at the W Mart that will fit in the tent.
    Hopefully doubling up a short (height) cot with at least a ok sleep pad might be what I need.

Caleb O likes this.
  6. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

For that type of camp out I’ll usually stack two Thermarest ZLite foam pads on top of each other and then drop a wool blanket over both. I’m 6’2” on a good day and float around 185ish.

Used this setup in multiple sizes of tents, in the back of vans, in multiple different types of weather and I’m still good with it.

shaneadams90 and anomad like this.
  7. anomad

anomad Member

That's basically my go to also with the cheap moving blankets.

Caleb O likes this.
  8. Rich275

Rich275 Member

9. JV3

JV3 Member

important question is how low will the temps be and are you a cold sleeper?

if it's warm and/or you're a warm sleeper then i'd echo what caleb o posted...just buy a couple of thermarest closed cell pads and stack them thick enough for your comfort...advantage is it can be a loaner for others in the future. a thermarest ccf (closed cell foam) pad is around the 2.1 r-value each.

if it's cold/you're a cold sleeper then there's no getting around the importance of the pad's r-value...i'd call rei to see if they still rent pads. inflatable pads with down-feather inside of it or have reflective coating have the warmest ratings (short of a bed that you buy for a home or r/v).

i'm a very cold sleeper and anything around teens or up i need an r-value of 8+. anything below that and i bring a thermarest or two to put under my inflable but even then at single digits i'm right at my limit comfort-wise.