Day Hike with the Doggie

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by MarriedTheMedic, Oct 30, 2016.

1. As you may already know, we're in a severe drought here with a burn ban, and no prediction for rain anytime soon. Camping isn't much fun without a fire, so we opted for a day hike this weekend. Well, it was more of a nature walk. We decided to take the pup along today, so we took it easy. Noccalula Falls is one of nature's wonders that we've been blessed with here in our hometown. We've done many hikes here over the years, and it never gets boring.

A little history about Noccalula first:

"The legend of Noccalula came from the early times. Originally known as the Black Creek Falls, the legend, as written by Mathilde Bilbro, says that "long ago, on a mountain summit within sight and sound of a rushing waterfall, lived a great Indian chief whose young daughter, Noccalula, was famed far and wide for her beauty and loveliness of character." Many gallant braves sought the old chief for the hand of Noccalula, but only one was favored by the girl's father, a rich chief of a powerful neighboring tribe, who had much to offer in exchange: wampum, horses, and blankets. Vainly, Noccalula pleaded that her heart was already given to a young brave of her own tribe.

This young warrior, though noted for his skill and valor, possessed little in worldly goods. The old chief refused to listen and ordered his daughter to make ready for the marriage he had arranged. What was a maiden's silly fancy against many horses, much wampum, and union with another strong tribe? The girl's lover was driven from the tribe and a marriage agreement was made with the neighboring chief.

The wedding day came and a great feast was prepared. In silence, Noccalula allowed herself to be arrayed in festive wedding robes. It was incredible! To be sold to a stranger by the father she loved, her chosen lover forever banished! Overcome with grief, she quietly slipped away from the merrymakers during the festivities, the soft rhythmical rush of waters called her. A moment she stood poised upon the brink of the yawning chasm. One leap, and her troubles were over.

Heartbroken, the remorseful father gave the great cataract his daughter's name. Since that day the waterfall has been called Noccalula."

The beautiful Noccalula statue overlooking the falls today:

[​IMG]

As you can see, there's no water in the background. This is about the driest we've ever seen it here.

For comparison, this was taken on one of our past hikes:

[​IMG]

And today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The City of Gadsden has spent a ton of money in recent years to revitalize the park and build new trail systems. It's really turning into a beautiful place to visit. They've even added a small wedding chapel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caesar loved it! So many new sites, smells, people, and other dogs...

[​IMG]

...and new places to mark his territory! :giggle2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not our normal adventure, but fun nonetheless. We couldn't pass up the chance to spend such a beautiful day outdoors!

And because I have the most wonderful husband ever, this was our post-walk dinner:

Marinated steaks ready to go on the grill...

[​IMG]

...then onto our plates...

[​IMG]

...and into our bellies!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2016
    Bushman5, Stormstaff, ozbushy and 6 others like this.
  2. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Awesome photos. I didn't read it because the font is too light, haha.

We had a drought like that a few years back. I mowed the yard one time early on, and that was it. The grass was completely brown. A front would come in from the west, and like clock work, it would break up as it crossed the Mississippi River/

I took a few photos of a small knife I have, and as you can see, the grass is dead:

[​IMG]

GaryMc and MarriedTheMedic like this.

3. Yeah, you guys were dry, too!

What theme are you using? I'm on the black theme and see the text fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2016
    GaryMc likes this.
  4. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Default style. White background. I can't do the black background, drives me nuts.

GaryMc and MarriedTheMedic like this.

5. Changed it to red...should work for both now. :)

GaryMc likes this.
  6. karlkortemeier

karlkortemeier Member

Nice! We were just over at Mt. Cheaha. I was surprised at the number of people camping at Turnipseed. I bet almost all the sites were filled. All I could think about was not having a fire to fiddle with at night. The first creek you pass going up towards Pinhoti Trail was not even moving. It was just scattered pools of stagnant water. Crazy. The funny thing is that near the top there is a small seep that you pass that has river cane growing around it. It was still damp. I could even hear water trickling back in the roots.

The falls is one of our favorite spots. Thanks for posting.

GaryMc likes this.
  7. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Great pics as always. Glad you guys still got to get out in nature. The water situation there is really sad, we definitely need rain in North Georgia & Alabama! Thanks for sharing MTM.

8. olderguy

olderguy Member

Great pics !! Yup we're in a drought here in Colorado also. Woods are like tinder just waiting for a spark !!!

GaryMc likes this.
  9. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Wow, I have seen this area many times through your trips and hard to believe it's that dry. We had a trip planned to North Georgia the second weekend in November but we are in the same boat, no water and no fire equals dull trip.

GaryMc likes this.
  10. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I have sympathy for y'all, growing up in Tx I've seen it get crackling dry many times. Just know it's gonna break eventually! :) On the plus side it makes it easy to find a good deer hunting spot, find a water source and watch it and you will have a successful season.

11. Joelski

Joelski Member

Your dog looks familiar. I think I saw him at a party cruising some hot bitches! :D

[​IMG]

12. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

That dog's looks high :D

JMJ likes this.
  13. Joelski

Joelski Member

Beyond high, well into the baked zone. I did a double take the first time I saw it and had to save the pic.

14. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

Lol... love the territorial marking pics. My dogs rerritory spreads all thr way from here to the south of spain :)

15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Want some Vancouver rain? :D

Great trip report!

16. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Member

Great pics!

Jonny is wearing Crocs? Is that legal? I still expected to see him harvesting fatwood somewhere, hehe

JMJ likes this.