Kydex Sheaths

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Sam Wilson, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Once I start toying with kydex for my knives, I will see what happens. I had hoped for a little more feedback here, but to be fair it looks like not as many people are active on the forum as in the past, so that's understandable. Thank you, @Strigidae

Sam

Strigidae likes this.
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Considering 89% of knife companies only make right handed sheaths, despite 11% of the population are left handed, I bend my own. A few examples below I’ve been using the Spyderco clip with much success. The Tek lock sticks out more. I also prefer front scout carry over anything else since the majority of the time I have a holster and mag pouches at 3 & 6. I also included a well worn holster and scout magazine pouch I made. I’ve made well over 100 holsters and maybe 40-50 knife sheaths for friends and family. To really put out a good product, the labor cost for me wasn’t worth it. I often would spend a couple of hours from start to finish on a sheath. I’ve never done it as a business, although I get calls at least monthly from someone wanting me to make something. With that being said, it’s a huge value add for a knife maker. I hate getting a knife with no sheath or one that isn’t usable. Doesn’t make sense to me. For me sheaths are almost as important as the knife since I’ll likely be carrying it more than using it. Winkler knives have mastered knife sheaths and are by far my favorite. They give the end user almost any option you want. Taking your skill sets and you experience with leather and pouches, it would be a great addition. Having the pouch add on or s holder for your ferro rod would be awesome 7BEF2CD9-81C6-439B-B84A-6F16D0D1A1E8.jpeg
    06584631-40E1-473C-A6F0-5B1D4298EA99.jpeg

Sam Wilson and Strigidae like this.
  3. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Here’s an example of a phenomenal sheath by a maker who shall go unnamed due to poor customer service. It has a bic lighter holder along with a flashlight holder. It’s rear scout carry and I keep a bit of paracord wrapped around it along with a washer to remove the scales where there is tinder and an ESSE arrowhead. This typically accompanies me bear hunting in the mountains. C00F5AB9-84BE-4D35-9393-88834E285A35.jpeg

KnOeFz and Sam Wilson like this.
  4. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

@Wisdom, my thoughts exactly regarding DIY. My son does Kydex for our gear now so I just tell him what I want.

I am not 100% sure on what ESEE has that does not have a Tupperware option now. Camplore would probably generate interest but has heavy competition.

Sam Wilson likes this.
  5. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

ESSE does a great job with sheaths. Ive always liked the functionality of the Izulu sheath albeit a little tight. I was thinking more custom guys. I think some knife makers make great knives but don’t want to learn sheaths. I get it, but I am often disappointed when I get a knife and struggle to carry it due to the sheath. Obviously, Mr Wilson has great leatherwork. I imagine his kydex would be as impressive. That’s a great undertaking for your son, especially with his passion for cutlery. Definitely a good income source if you can do it efficiently and enjoy the work.

Sam Wilson likes this.
  6. DYSPHORIC JOY

You know Sam will knock it out of the park with aesthetics and function. I tend to gravitate toward clean face sheathes because I don’t care for a bunch of snag points on a belt knife.

Sam Wilson and Strigidae like this.
  7. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

All good points. I probably explained it poorly in my posts, but I was interested in ESEE and other factory knives that are common and have demand for kydex. I get that the market is saturated, but good product almost always sells. But you guys have given me some data points, so I am grateful for that. This may not be worth pursuing. Always good to do the research BEFORE spending the money, lol.

Sam

Strigidae likes this.
  8. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The ESEE number lines are always popular. Most of the old camplore line too. Of course the izula. Not sure how the HM series would go as some of the old style ones may not all be the same spec.

No clue on what other lines are out there. I only bleed ESEE. :)

Sam Wilson likes this.
  9. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Been pretty busy guys, but wanted to show the progress made on the kydex endeavor. Here are a couple of pics of kydex made for my own knives. Not sure if I will pursue it for other knives, as I am a bit backlogged. But wanted to follow up in appreciation for the feedback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feedback welcome.
    Sam:)

KnOeFz, Jeremiah Jones, JMick and 2 others like this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

They look great Sam !

Sam Wilson likes this.
  11. DYSPHORIC JOY

Nice work.

Sam Wilson likes this.
  12. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Thank you both! Still have a lot to learn, but we're getting there.

Sam

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  13. the925life

the925life Member

If you decide ramp up something, start with the Izula/3/4/6. Kydex is relatively cheap to try a new sheath andwe all own at least one of those models. wouldn’t take much time to start seeing your product in the wild, which could start to snowball. I’d also buy one for a Fallkniven F1. Just sayin…

The Marsh Gorilla and Sam Wilson like this.
  14. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

Thank you. I'm still working out the numbers and everything else, but am looking at all options. Kydex definitely has some advantages over leather, so I will be expanding my use of it. Thank you for the feedback.

Sam

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.