Workouts

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Strigidae, May 2, 2020.

1. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

Ladies and gents. Get yourselves a kettlebell. Choose a weight that you can comfortably do 8-10 one arm presses over your head. Then follow this regiment.

Warm up: 15 push ups, 25 air squats, 30 second of jumping jacks (repeat 2 to three times for warm up)

25 kb swings
    20 snatches
    15 goblet squats
    10 overhead press
    5 bent over rows
    Push-ups to failure
    Rest 30 seconds to a minute.
    Repeat 3x 5 sets.

enjoy at your own risk. Please learn how to handle and control a KB before this routine…. Stay safe.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Bozho, Skip808 and Strigidae like this.
  2. Mraz

Mraz Member

I'm a bit lazy at the gym so I do really simple workouts, almost powerlifterish. I do deadlift, squat, bench, pull-up, farmers carry, dips and military press, usually one or two of them per workout. I used to do crossfit stuff but now with two small kids in the house I usually too tired to go that route.

Yersterday was squat day, 10x155/175/200/220/245/265 then 6-8x285/310 then 2x330/350 and then another souple sets 8-10x220. I threw in some farmers carry between sets and called it a day.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Skip808, Bozho and Strigidae like this.
  3. otis

otis Member

i'm way too lazy for exercise so i'm gonna just do manual labor outside until i die

4. Bozho

Bozho Member

Currently I am doing bodyweight training only, due to the pandemic, but I feel really good so I will probably keep it this way.

I do 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 10 squats, have 1 min rest, repeat. I do 20 sets in around 40-45 min. It's intensive and I gained a lot of strength from this.

Currently I do it two days in a row, then have one day of rest. But the heatwave is moving away, so I will have 1 day of this and 1 day of riding the MTB, repeat with 1 resting day per week.

Basically it's the strength part of the Murph challenge, of course without the 12 kg plate carrier and 200 instead of 300 squats as I want to save some legs for the MTB.
    I participated in a Murph a few years ago, in a lot worse shape and did it in 59 min, which inspired me to include it in my training routine so I can do it again but faster. Perhaps next year as Covid screwed it for a 2nd year in a row.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Skip808 and Strigidae like this.
  5. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I’m back to Rippetoes Starting Strength. I use the app. His program is one of the best I’ve found if your focused on strength. Love the Goruck stuff for endurance but Starting Strength is my favorite for getting strong. I’ve been off it for 6 months and can tell a huge difference. I’m much weaker. His book is awesome if you really want to understand the why of form. The app has great video tutorials as well. To qoute Mark Rippetoe “strong people are harder to kill”.

6. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Got a couple new things for the home workouts. A big tire
    600D8639-A9B1-44A8-B6B1-7C71BFDE7CE5.jpeg
    And a 20 pound workout mace.
    4A8C0AE6-5603-440A-81B4-E88005E9AA88.jpeg
    it’s a pretty fun workout. 5 sets of 20 per side alternating until all 10 sets are done is my current workout. Really gets the cardio going. Turns out the tire is also good for box jumps too.

otis, Strigidae and Bozho like this.
  7. Bozho

Bozho Member

Nice! It's also good for shadowboxing, keeping balance on the edge of the tyre.

8. Skip808

Skip808 Member

I’ll have to give that a try!

Bozho likes this.
  9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Also a good target for a sledge hammer hit. Be careful as it may bounce back with some force.

Bozho likes this.
  10. Skip808

Skip808 Member

that’s exactly the reason we got the mace. Tried a sledge but apparently wood handles, or at least the hardware store variety, didn’t hold up. It cracked along the grain and went flying 10 feet in the air. I think my kids were hitting too far in and contacting the handle on the sidewall. So as a precaution we figured a steel shaft would be a bit safer, I hope so at least.

Strigidae likes this.
  11. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I wondered what that was. Now it makes sense.

Skip808 likes this.
  12. anomad

anomad Member

My BIL came to visit for a while this summer. He's a city boy... He was talking about cross fit and beating on tires with a sledge hammer. So I gave him a maul and cut a bunch of rounds off my firewood logs I have stacked up. Ta-da! Many cross fit workouts for him that will keep me warm this winter. He felt pretty tough after doing the work too.

Strigidae, Bozho and Skip808 like this.
  13. Bozho

Bozho Member

Yeah, the hammer and tyre is a substitute for wood splitting, however as a workout it can be much more intensive, due to the opportunity of having many consecutive hits.

C99c and Skip808 like this.
  14. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Pretty well equipped home gym instead of a dining room :D 20230202_112030.jpg 20230202_112158.jpg

Bozho, TerryD, Bushman5 and 2 others like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I lift cases of Reebs